moving domains from server to server

i need to move 60 domains from a server with a custom control panel (cihost) to a new servermatrix server with Plesk for the control panel.

this is looming as a daunting task.

have any of you had experience with this? websitemovers.com will charge about $475 to do if for me.
    Vagrant Web Hosting - U.S. / CANADA
    Website Hosting - Website Development - Content Management
    NEW: Windows Hosting w/ ASP.NET

I am not familiar with the control pannels, but I can tell you what you should do to minimize downtime.

I suggest that you first add the domains to the new DNS server. Then change the IPs for your name server to the new DNS server as well. You will want to have the new DNS server point the domains to the old server. You will also want to set the ttl's to 0 on the new DNS server. Then you can move the web sites and accounts to the new server. When this is done, all you need to do is change the DNS on the new server to point to it, and the domains should imediately propogate to the new IPs.

Joel

It all depends how things are stored and such, i guess.

For the most part, you could just create the accounts by hand (UGGHHH) on the plesk server, then gzip/bzip /home and the mysql folder and send it over. Assuming the users stay the same, it would work alright.

I had todo the same thing when i moved outta my house based server, and went to one with a shared hosting company. Took me a full day to create/import/move. Though, keep in mind, I didn't have root access, so I couldn't get right in there directly.

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Do you have many sites that are database driven? I would just move them all manually. I know you have 60 sites, but if you donīt have too many complex sites you could probably get them all moved in a few hours.

If thats the databases, passwords, mailling lists, etc. then that is not a bad price. Really depends on the complexity of the sites and number of users. I find the biggest issue is in migrating the user passwords when changing platforms.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.