Thinking about Dedicated

I am preparing a business plan and want to include some information on upgrading to dedicated servers. What should I be thinking about when looking at the various options and what is the true cost of runnig a dedicated server (They're available for <$100 if you look around but there's all the extras).

Hello acec I am not a pro in Linux or dedicated stuff, but I just moved from a shared hosting to a dedicated server so here a my thoughts

If you are hosting commerical sites (cant afford downtime) and you dont have much knowledge about kernel etc,I mean Linux you should think about going with a managed solution or a semi-manged dedicated server.

If possible get a CPANEL or any other control panel it would be a lot easier for you to manage stuff with these control panel (I am damm stupid I did not order any control panel and currently my server is messed up).

Regarding extra ask the provider what do they charge if something gets messed, some companies do it for FREE others charge by the hour.

I will be needing both linux and windows boxes, just wondering what add-ons are a necessity rather than good to haves. A managed solution sounds better, esp for Linux.

Hi acec,
    If you are planning to run them as a production server, this is what I suggest you:
    1. A reliable datacenter. Or else you won't be able to sleep well at night.
    2. At least a 1GB RAM to start with to ensure you have enough expansion space.
    3. As what ranjitbhar suggested, get a control panel. I would recommend cPanel for Linux & Helm for Windows.

Thanks.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

Originally posted by acec
    I will be needing both linux and windows boxes, just wondering what add-ons are a necessity rather than good to haves. A managed solution sounds better, esp for Linux.
    I would consider H-sphere for that

If you’ve never ran a server before, and don’t know how to fluently work with linux, you’re going to need to either go with a FULLY managed dedicated server, or an unmanaged server, and higher a server administrator.

As for reliable servers to look into, my personal favorite providers that I’ve had “good” experiences with are:

www.ServerMatrix.com (Texas)
    www.GNAX.com (Atlanta)
    www.FastServers.com (HE Network in California)

If you’re looking for fully managed servers from those hosts, you’re going to need to up your spending price quite a bit, but believe me, it’ll be well worth it for the quality of the networks.

Often, you can get cheaper prices then listed on those sites by going through one of their resellers.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz