Damn you Google!

I hate you for all the spam I now get about building links between my site and someone else's.

Link exchanges used in the right way can be very powerful.

Companies can get up for extremely commercial search terms using a forward thinking link exchange policy.

And if the e-mail isn't selling something, I don;t believe it is technically spam.

Well, there are two components to spam, unsolicited and commercial...

So, what I have heard is that even if it is unsolicited only, it is spam. So, it would be spam by law.

Originally posted by Ziad
    huh? i don't get it what does google have to do with this? can you elaborate? not trying to defend them but i don't understand.
    What is thought to be one of the major factors in a sites PR is the incomming and outgoing links on a site. Now, thousands of sites are sending every other website of any slightly related subject asking to exchange links.

Originally posted by pcgamez
    What is thought to be one of the major factors in a sites PR is the incomming and outgoing links on a site.
    Incoming links are the only factor bringing PageRank; outgoing links do not. That's not "thought to be," it simply is.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by I, Brian
    And if the e-mail isn't selling something, I don;t believe it is technically spam.

It's SPAM!

Oh, I see. You send UCE - AKA - SPAM
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Originally posted by LessHost

It's SPAM!

Oh, I see. You send UCE - AKA - SPAM
    Well, its a common misconception.

But, who do you think sends spam? Brian? That's totally out of place. Anyone who does not know 100% about this Earth are spammers? You, I , and 6+ billion more people are spammers then...

If you got 50 requests to exchange links with unrelated, and mostly adult sites, you too would find these things to be spam.

Are you saying if I emailed EVERY email address in the world for a link, that's not spam?

I sure as hell'd get blacklisted FAST.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

yes i would think of them as spam also.

Originally posted by JayC
    Incoming links are the only factor bringing PageRank; outgoing links do not. That's not "thought to be," it simply is.
    From what others have said (and since nobody has been able to see the whole algorythm, I don't think anyone truly knows) is that if you have a page with tons of external links to unrelated content, your PR is penalized.

Not really, it's more if you have too many identical links (ie: all your links say something like 'super hosting') google seems to ignore the fact those exist.

This is the case, at least, on many commercial keywords.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

Originally posted by pcgamez
    From what others have said (and since nobody has been able to see the whole algorythm, I don't think anyone truly knows) is that if you have a page with tons of external links to unrelated content, your PR is penalized.
    There is a lot that's not known about Google's ranking algorythms in general, but PageRank is pretty clearly defined in their public technical documents.

Whether content is "unrelated" isn't a concern (in PageRank calculation, there are other elements in ranking in which it can matter) -- the content of pages isn't a part of the calculation.

Outgoing links don't result in your PageRank being "penalized," except in the sense that the value "passed on" to each of your other pages is negatively affected by how many other outgoing links are on a given page. So, having outgoing external links results in your retaining less PageRank to distribute within your own site -- but no page gets a directly reduced PageRank from having external links.

Perhaps more simply: the PageRank of a given page is based only on links pointing to that page. The impact a given page can have on the PR of other pages is based on the PageRank of the page in question and the number of outgoing links it contains.

Always remember that PageRank is calculated for individual pages, not for sites -- but that you can to an extent manage the distribution of PageRank throughout a site through your linking structure.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Hmm.. this is new. Google definition.

Anyways, google search on [define Spam] - 1st link is an internal google link (looks new but I'm sure it's been around for a while. Google has many tools)

Originally posted by Google.com

"Unsolicited "junk" e-mail sent to large numbers of people to promote products or services . . . "

"An inappropriate attempt to use a mailing list . . ."

"Unsolicited bulk email, usually advertising, . . ."

From my experience, a person(s) inbox is a private property. Sending UCE is spam. Now as far as it's 'ok' or not - that's a different story (read below targeted)

Junk Mail - annoying but from a business perspective it's advertising. It's still Junk. I didn't want it. It just fills up my trash can more often and it's a waste of my time.

Junk Email - Spam - UCE - Exchange Lists - Same thing. - Promoting/Advertising - I didn't ask you to send it - I would care less - It's a waste of my time. - I get enough Email and do not need more.

targeted
    Now a targeted Email send directly to your consumer :: by targeted I mean you actually visited the site, thought the person might be interested in an exchange, and emailed him, is ok to do but it's still spam :: junk mail.
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com