Question Host familiar with Coppermine?

Finding a good hosting company these days is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I have a few features I am looking for in a new hoster, but cannot find a good one. Maybe someone can assist. I really am looking for a hoster that has one of those "installer" scripts such as Fantastico or Power Tools. It's such a pain in the *** to have to go through all the hoops just to get an image gallery script installed. And I am thinking about trying Coppermine.

Basically, I'm looking for a reliable host that has...
    - Fantastico for CPanel or Power Tools for Ensim
    - so, I don't have to go through all the steps to manually configure Coppermine

Setting up coppermine is a 10 minute job, I tend to shy away from auto-installers tied to hosting companys cpanels etc, as sooner or later you are going to have to add security patches to most common scripts.

So its better you get your hands dirty on the initial installation.

I know its not answering your question directly, but is just one of my general observations.

A lot of people dont havet to worry about security patches on their image gallery.

most of the nowdays companies offer automated tools use the host quote form on this site to compare different options

Originally posted by ericnmu
    A lot of people dont havet to worry about security patches on their image gallery.
    Can you explain why a user would not have to worry about security patches to a complex script that they have installed ?

Originally posted by ericnmu

Can you please elaborate on this? I'm also interested to know.

What about manually updating to a newer version after doing an auto-install via Fantastico or Ensim Power Tools? Would that work? What I'm asking is whether or not an auto-install would prevent me from manually updating versions of Coppermine (or other script) in the future.

Make sure when choosing a host you find out about safe mode especially if you are going to use coppermine. get them to turn it off for your domain. And having an automated install is great especially whith Fantastico as it is updated.

Good Luck

Originally posted by sandee29
    Make sure when choosing a host you find out about safe mode especially if you are going to use coppermine. get them to turn it off for your domain. And having an automated install is great especially whith Fantastico as it is updated.

Good Luck

Ahhh! I didn't know that Fantastico updated their scripts! That's what you are saying, right? So basically, if I get with a host that has Fantastico, I'll never have to worry using an old version of Coppermine (or other scripts) since Fantastico automatically updates them, right? Well, then, if so, perhaps I should rephrase my question to ask for a recommendation on a host that offers Fantastico and Coppermine!

Originally posted by Chris C
    Can you explain why a user would not have to worry about security patches to a complex script that they have installed ?
    I don't think anyone is dying to hack my kid's photoalbum....lol, ok, just kidding.
    Bayouspace Hosting
    Reliable, Full Featured cPanel Shared Hosting, with REAL 24/7 SUPPORT
    Established 11/2009, WHT member since 2003
    http://www.bayouspace.com

Unfortunately with the abundance of script kiddies, you don't have to be high profile to be a target.

A google for phpnuke, phpbb, coppermine usually yields plenty of matches as their copyright information is at the bottom of each page. And suddenly they have a potential place to store their warez........

The chances of an average person, having their average website hacked is remote. But for the 10 minutes it usually takes to patch these installations its not worth the risk.

My only previous usage of cpanel was with a vanilla version. And that had an out-of-date (in terms of security patches) version of phpBB2.

When I was researching around for my current host, I read lots of TOS and many of them had explicit statements saying that the user is responsible for security updates to any scripts they install.

I have since moved to a host with a propietary admin panel, but I will look out for hosts supporting 'fantisco' if I move in the future as its sounds interesting. And if it will automatically update scripts then it can be nothing but a good thing.

Coppermine is a great program for images, DJMaze and the group have made a secure, effficient program, I would suggest using it with, cpgnuke they developed it is integrated with Coppermine, it is fast, secure, and well written.

There is a very talent group working on Coppermin and CpgNuke, my guess in the near future, it will be like a post nuke and breakaway from phpnuke entirely.

What's Cpgnuke? Is it any better or more secure than PHPNuke? So, there Nuke things vulnerable to hackers?