Do I need a Control Panel?

Just in the process of getting a dedicated server.

I won't be reselling and don't plan to have multiple sites on there. At the moment I'm just planning to set up an IPB forum and use the server solely for that.

If I get a Windows server.. do I need a Control Panel?

I'm not VERY technical so what would be a lot easier if I did get a panel?? and would you recommend Helm or Ensim?

Well, i suggest you do a Control Panel, Plesk does good. Helm is quite simple.
    If you don't want to pay for a Panel then use - Simplest Windows panel out there.

For a few domains hosting your own, too expensive for Helm, Plesk comes with 1 user for free rite? Also which are free.

Just use Webmin its free and very powerful. (But it looks crap).

Also I would go with linux as it cheaper and arguably more stable.

lol, installed it earlier on today Webmin does its job well but its quite hard to understand for n00bies also its not very good lookin.

Thing is though, if you don't understand Webmin, you've no chance of coping without any control panel I suggest; it's very reasonable at $29/month or $299 for a lifetime licence. You can go to and get lifetime licences legitimately for about $129 on promo

Thanks for the advice.
    I'd selected Win2003 as I was advised it was easier for a newbie and easier to secure.

Windows 2003 has a lot of vulnerabilities stopped by default. Easy to create an account. Just need to create a user in computer management, a web site in the IIS web and an ftp account in the IIS ftp, tats all.