DDOS attacks blocking

I know blocking DDOS is near to impossible. Is there anyway to minimize the effects of the attacks? What is the best equipment or software for this?

You'd probably need some kind of massive hardware fierewall, even then it's not going to protect you, it will only limit the effects.
    Michael MacKinnon

It would depend on the target. If they're simply filling your pipe with junk you'll have to look for help upstream. Otherwise any firewall box should be able to help filter out the bad traffic if you can identify the data type and exact target. Anything that reaches its destination may benefit from tuning the target machine's kernel/network resource use to absorb more abuse even if that reduces QoS a bit.

It is very easy to launch a DDOS attack, nearly impossible to defend, by the time upstream gets into action , already a sizable downtime. And tracking the culprit is near impossible. Really hope something is invented to change all these.....

What about the FloodGuard offered by SM, isn't it effective?
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

I don't know about your budget but checkpoint firewalls can filter many dos attacks. The only problem then would be if the attack saturates your line.

Depends on the scale, type and the nature of the DDOS.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Originally posted by Imago
    What about the FloodGuard offered by SM, isn't it effective?
    I thought that so I suggested this to a friend who I helped out administrate http://www.msfn.org.

He got hit hard yesterday for the first time since being at SM moving from ev1 and FloodGuard didn't do a dam thing to help.