Affording a College Education

I am 17 years old and will be heading off to college in one year. I am looking for ways that could pay off a good portion of my college education. I have about 20 customers that I resell web hosting to, building on this is a possibility - but I am very open minded. I know this is no easy task, but I am determined to do it. I have 5 years of strong web developing and marketing experience. Post your ideas here.

Andy Tabar

No doubt it is a very good experience to learn this trade but i would say you should not compromise your studies with your activity.

Web hosting service is a long term commitment and you have to consider whether you can provide the quality service while coping with your school work. Don't ruin your reputation when you can't provide what you promise to your customer.

I would think if you have the knowledge and skill, grab a small project to work on one at a time. Not only will you get a better portfolio but also be able to earn a few bucks here and there.
    You can be able to manage your time better in this way.

Reselling Web Hosting is not as easy as you (or many out there) might think.

Hope this might help.

Definitely apply for ALL scholarships. Hunt them down at such websites as www.fastweb.com. Also, assuming you're in the US, apply for the FAFSA, http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. This allows you to apply for all federal and state funding. They determine, based on your parents' taxes, how much you can receive. The rest of the details are applied to you on an individual basis, depending on the cost of your respective university.

Regards,
    Waylon

Waylon,

Student loans are a good way to pay for it, you can push payment
    back until you graduate and get a job in most cases.

Check out TERI.org.
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

you could try to do free lance web design

Find out what program you want to major in, then get a part time internship in that program. 4 years of internship in your respected field will get you a job. As per money? Loans and a part-time job. I would recommend finding a local web development firm or getting a job through your univesity. You don't want to be spending your time finding new contracts, do your school work.

One thing, university jobs are the best. The are understanding of time constraints, and often allow students to take off weeks at a time for studies. No private sector job would allow this leeway.

In addition to the good replies that have already been posted - I would start lining out a plan to take a advatage the potential client base you are going to have access to in college. You might also plan for outsourcing a portion of your support while you are in class just to address any urgent support issues that may arise.

Greetings:

AmishGeek (a well rounded, intelligent, college student who participates in these forums and also runs a hosting company) may be able to shed additional light.

In my own opinion, I am not sure if I would bank on hosting helping to pay for a college education.

While you can earn a living full time if you put in the 50 to 90 hours per week; I'm not sure of the part time revenue potential given studies and supporting your clients.

Aaron (AmishGeek) makes a great go of it; but only he can tell you whether or not it helps and how much with tuition et all.

I do recommend checking for grants (first and foremost) followed by student loans; and then looking for part time work where the revenue flow may me more constant.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

As Dynamicnet has said, I am a college student (Junior at the University of Minnesota Duluth)

I've been hosting since my freshman year (2001), although I havent been actively seeking it as a carreer, it began more as a hobby. Currently, my business is cash-flow positive (a very good thing), however, it doesnt do much more than cover my car payments every month at the moment. I still work a job on campus for ITSS doing Helpdesk and Computer Repair. That is what pays my rent. My tuition is all on student loans.

I'm putting in about 80-90hrs a week if you count everything (20-30hrs for work on campus, 30-40hrs for my business, 15-20hrs for class/homework, and then I also find time to be the large group coordinator for my InterVarsity Christian Fellowship Chapter, as well as being active with my Church)

I wouldn't bank on making enough money right away to pay for your tuition as you go, unless you can really grow your business before you get to college. For me, my busines is something that I hope to have grown to the point where I can graduate, I can just keep on doing my webhosting, and do not have to worry about competing against my fellow graduates for jobs.

No matter what you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck, and advise you to use all the resources available to you. I wish I had applied for scholarships, and because I didn't, I'm $30,000 in debt with student loans right now. But as a student, there are many more opportunities for starting business ventures, like gaining guidance and advice from professors. My business law professor has been a great resources, as well as the Center for Economic Development that is run through the Business School.

If you want to pay for college, yet still do well in school, you can try out what I've been doing.

1) Work your butt off at school 24/7 and constantly look for an internship the following summer.

2) During the summer work 60 hours a week, and hopefully get paid overtime. Usually, if you put in enough yours, you should be able to pay off most if not all of your college tuition/housing wihtout having to work during the school year.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Thank you all very much...the most important thing is that I keep my head on straight, I will keep all of this in mind. Getting in and out of college is the main thing.

peace
    andy tabar

I say party in school and have fun. You have your whole life to make money and pay your school loans off. I would rather look back and laugh at all the crazy stuff I did in college then look back and tell everyone how I worked 20/7. This does not mean you can't work, but do not let it consume the rest of your non study time.

Now if you do not like to have fun or like to party or your definition of a good time is reading the bible/koran then please disregard everything I just said.
    Alvin

I'm in college right now and Internet For All is paying my tuition and rent . But, it took years of solid work to get up to this point. Work hard and you'll find anything will be in reach.

Originally posted by alvinks
    I say party in school and have fun. You have your whole life to make money and pay your school loans off. I would rather look back and laugh at all the crazy stuff I did in college then look back and tell everyone how I worked 20/7. This does not mean you can't work, but do not let it consume the rest of your non study time.

Now if you do not like to have fun or like to party or your definition of a good time is reading the bible/koran then please disregard everything I just said.
    This man is right on the money, and I hope you go into college with alvinks mindset. For my first 2 years of college I had the same outlook on college as alvinks, then for some reason I snapped, and became serious about where I was going with my life and figured out a plan to get there. I've never really been motivated to do anything in my life, but after working in the "real world" for 2 summers, I decided I did not want to be in the same position as my middle aged coworkers .

I am by no means normal, and you should have a blast throughout college. You definitely should not go into college thinking about how hard you are going to work, as that would take away from the fun of it. I think eventually, you will make a big decision about if you want to be flipping burgers, middle management, or CEO and you will automatically get your act together depending on your choice. But for at least a while, enjoy college and the beautiful women (take psychology & communication lectures for the best selection ). Because in the real world, it isn't OK to show up drunk/hungover, especially not for a Final .

Anyways, I apologize for my first short post about how you need to work hard. That was bad advice to just hand out.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.