Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I should've made it clearer, but had a brain freeze. I meant about any new features that may be under consideration, including some mentioned in one of your earlier posts:

Originally posted by Gabriel Murphy
    Overall, I would like for WHT to be the one-stop portal for anything webhosting for consumers and web hosting resellers. I think this is the way the forums have evolved, but WHT clearly lacks journalistic content- news, articles and interviews.
    Many members here like this place as a message board, not another Yahoo. Start to make too many changes, there are many that will leave.

Thanks for the feedback KimmiKat.

Can you please define "all these new features" so I know exactly what you are referring to. I ask because I speculate that there are some features that a majority of the WHT members would welcome. I do not want to confuse your statement with the idea that nothing should change at all, unless that is what you really meant to convey.

Thanks.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

I don't even notice the iBar anymore.

Originally posted by Dennis
    It's hardly an inconvenience. One click of a scroll wheel and it's gone. Besides, I use it every day. As soon as you're back here for a while, you'll hardly notice it. Unless, you're like me and use it.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Originally posted by KimmiKat
    I don't even notice the iBar anymore.
    I had to go look to see if it was still there.

when you're on 56k, you notice everything that's not necessary.

Originally posted by ub3r
    when you're on 56k, you notice everything that's not necessary.
    People still use dial-up?

People still use dial-up?
    poor people do, coincidently i'm one of them.

I ain't poor. But it's the only option here.

/back on topic

I suggest iNET provides high speed internet access to every member.

Especially it that member's name is swr, or dennis, or softwarerevue, or whatever he's calling himself this week.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I agree with much of what JTY posted. I know I come to WHT because it is a Community, I want articles that talk back and answer questions by the people that posted them in dynamic threads not articles that are simply read.

SitePoint is a perfect example of what not to do with the Journalistic approach. They have so many articles and advertisements that I have a hard time finding the forums there anymore. Needless to say I haven't been there in months.

Not everyone wants a Wal-Mart with the one stop shopping attitude. Remaining focused on what got WHT to the size it is right now has nothing to do with all these features you want to add. WHT was growing at quite a strong rate before iNet even started making all the changes here. If you are wanting to add these features because there has been a recent decline in activity, then perhaps there are changes you already made that need to be undone rather than an attempt to fix something that was never broke in the first place?

The first feature to rollback would be Premium Memberships. You have placed a rank and file on individuals because they have $50. You have denigrated the core Membership that has spent countless hours over the years sharing their knowledge and building the Community. I think a review of posts from Members that have over 6000 posts compared to many of the newer Premium Members would show quite the drastic difference as far as sound advice is concerned.

Don't convolute WHT with anymore trivial fluff....

As for the Moderators, they are the ones that have had the reins of this place long before iNet. Instead of imposing changes, why not pay them and have them continue to run this place with iNet suggestions instead of iNet mandates?

Lastly, don't SPAM the members here. Try protecting their privacy by changing your Privacy Policy rather then exploiting them and selling their information to other people. Yes, I know it has been claimed that iNet would never do that. We all know that as long as that clause remains in your Privacy Policy you retain the right to do that very thing regardless of what anyone from iNet posts in this forum.

There are a few feature suggestions for you....

Originally posted by Dennis
    I ain't poor. But it's the only option here.

/back on topic

I suggest iNET provides high speed internet access to every member.

Especially it that member's name is swr, or dennis, or softwarerevue, or whatever he's calling himself this week.
    I second that!

Another idea i have is: give MOTM winners should win a 1 year non-leads subscription and or renewal on their subscription.

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    I think a review of posts from Members that have over 6000 posts compared to many of the newer Premium Members would show quite the drastic difference as far as sound advice is concerned.

I would think anybody that is a newer Member (premium or not) and has over 6000 posts needs to start finishing their homework, and concentrating on their school work, rather that spewing forth nonsense on a forum.

Of course, it is not just the new and young that spew crap everywhere. There are a few others that seem to make it a hobby.

BTW, those on dial-up. Been there, done that. I have no sympathy for ya though. When I was in that boat, I forked over the $$$$ for the 2 way Sat junk... no, not the cheap Directway crap... the real stuff. Tooo bad it is not reliable. None of them are worthy of a reccomendation.

Glenn
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Another idea i have is: give MOTM winners should win a 1 year non-leads subscription and or renewal on their subscription.
    Do you have any suggestions on to make MOTM something other than a popularity contest, or any ways to make it so no one can cheat the system (or try to)?

My suggestions

although I think I suggest the same things everytime this forum changes ownership but:

1. Full time paid staff for moderation
    2. A "hosting review section" either in the form of a praise, complain forum/s or just a total seperate section to the site for reviews and interviews.

I would much rather see these 2 things implemented over more news feeds. Personally I think there is enough of that now and most all hosting related sites have some form of news, articles.

What I see lacking is a decent review section. I would think with: Registered Members: 63,527
    a host review section is needed. There have been numerous threads, posts from members that still ask "where" they can find host reviews.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Do you have any suggestions on to make MOTM something other than a popularity contest, or any ways to make it so no one can cheat the system (or try to)?
    put all users with more than 500 posts, and or who have been registered longer than 2 months in a user group entitled "verified members", make a forum that is only available to users in that user group where they could discuss special things regarding wht, hold all motm related discussion there / polling there.

It is nothing more than a popularity contest, that's something you can't change.

In my opinion ub3r, 2 Months isn't long enough. 2 Months past like crazy.

My suggestions regarding wht.

1.) Please don't add anything else where users have to pay to access. Before you do, I believe feedback from the community would be wise.

2.) I have no problem with the toolbar. It doesn't effect my being on WHT.

3.) I think the columns and all that are good ideas, but I know you guys know to keep 90% of the focus on the importance of the community and 10% elsewhere. (ie, articles, interviews , etc)

4.) More interaction with the community. Im not sure if you guys post alot with the community, but try to do it alot more. Become a regular member, not just the owner.

My suggestions so far
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

I would like to shift the discussion to how we can improve WHT from a features standpoint? This is a topic which we have struggled with- how to increase the value of WHT to community members?
    Free premium membership for members with over 3734 posts.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

1. All forums must be open to all members. This is open community and member is the one who build this community. Without member, how can you make money? WHT will not be large like this without honest members.

2. Forum Jump: I don't want to see the long forum listing. Everytime I click on Forum Jump , I feel like a second class member, damn.

3. Do not develop WHT like a media site in which the forum is just a part. This will make the forum weaker.

4. Making money more smart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12