What's a hacker to you?

Everyone seems to define things differently and clearly the dictionary is not always the best authority on such words. What is and is not a hacker to you?
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin

that is a broad question. it could be someone that is very good add programming, it could be a person that can break into a site through holes in security, or it could be someone that cracks software protection.
    Alvin

I would consider a hacker, someone who alters technology to work for them. A cracker would be someone who alters technology to harm someone.

Hacker = good nature
    Cracker = bad nature
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

Put simply...and someone will probably use my wording as a sig...LOL

The only difference between a Hacker and a SysAdmin, is which side you are on. =WD=

Now you have to ask yourself, "What is a Systems Administrator?". Once you know what that is, you know what a hacker is.

Several things you have to figure in after that. There are both Sysadmins and Hackers who are not good at their jobs, as well as good and evil ones of both types.

The ultimate type that you dont want to piss off is a Hacker/Sysadmin combo, as he is on both sides of the fence and software, who is both evil and extremely good at what he does..

Kewl! I'm a hacker!!!

hacker

n 1: someone who plays golf poorly

I created a small hack for vBulletin a little while ago. So, that officially makes me a hacker
    Money is the root of all evil. So if you don't want to go crazy, give it all to me

Despite how many people go out and try and seperate hackers from crackers, it will never work, and people are still going to refer to hackers as people who do 'bad' things online.

It all depends on the situation to me, but most of hte time it's refering to someone who uses computers for malicious purposes.

Originally posted by ub3r
    Despite how many people go out and try and seperate hackers from crackers, it will never work, and people are still going to refer to hackers as people who do 'bad' things online.

It all depends on the situation to me, but most of hte time it's refering to someone who uses computers for malicious purposes.
    I agree, I think cracker is some jargon Eric Raymond created trying to make hackers look more civil by limiting them to "creating things". Hackers can be good or bad much like a Christian can be a good Christian or a bad Christian.
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin