Going from Shared to Dedicated

I would like to go from my Shared reseller hosting plan and find a dedicated server for myself. How do I and How hard is it to switch me and all my customers over from one server to another server at a different company. I want it to be seamless for my clients. Also does PHP, mySQL, Cpanel, Squirrel mail come on dedicated servers or do I do all that myself and that is why one gets more for their money.
    Thanks in advance.
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com
    AIM Screen Name - buyourweb
    More power than a web site needs - xController cPanel theme and Fantastico

Also does PHP, mySQL, Cpanel, Squirrel mail come on dedicated servers or do I do all that myself and that is why one gets more for their money.
    If you get a control panel, then yes, if not you have to install it manually via SSH.

It might be hard, if your current host doesn't allow you to request A name records. (To move sites with no downtime).
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Sorry but what is a name record? Currently I have Cpanel and WHM on my current servers.
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com

The real data, the reason we have name servers in the first place, is largely contained in A (Address) records. This is where the name-to-number mappings are kept:

mydomain.com. IN A 192.168.40.31
    mail.mydomain.com. IN A 192.168.40.32
    ns1.mydomain.com. IN A 192.168.40.33
    ns2.mydomain.com. IN A 192.168.40.34
    forum.mydomain.com. IN A 192.168.148.44
    support.mydomain.com. IN A 192.168.148.45

The numbers will be IP address.

How to move with No or Little downtime
    - Order new server
    - Get IP's of new server
    - Adjust your nameservers to the new IP's of your server at the new datacenter.
    - Setup CPanel
    - Use the WHM feature to copy all of the accounts to the new server (copies everything - dns, settings, mail, files, mysql)
    - Wait 24-48 hours for everything to resolve.(Should be no downtime as it will mimic old server until resolved).
    Last edited by cloudrck; 04-05-2004 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks for your help so far Daejuanj, I really appreciate it.

I notice that a lot of companies with dedicated servers are advertising managing plans. Are these worth the price or can I just hire someone like you once a month to service the servers. Shared mySQL servers do I need to add that service to run mySQL database web sites ie postnuke. or just add the software?
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com

Originally posted by buyourweb
    Thanks for your help so far Daejuanj, I really appreciate it.

I notice that a lot of companies with dedicated servers are advertising managing plans. Are these worth the price or can I just hire someone like you once a month to service the servers. Shared mySQL servers do I need to add that service to run mySQL database web sites ie postnuke. or just add the software?
    Managed means different to some companies then to others.
    For example ServerMatrix Magaged polcy is
    * Ping Monitoring.
    * Network IDS.
    * Onsite Hands and Eyes.
    * O/S updates and patches.
    * Service Monitoring (FTP, SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, Terminal Services, etc….) [up to 3 services]
    * System Monitoring (Drive Space, Processor usage, Server Load, etc….) [up to 3 services]
    * Process Monitoring (ColdFusion.exe, PGP.exe, ApacheGuard.sh, snort, etc….) [up to 3 services]

So you can either hire someone to say, keep your Control Panel updated or install programs.

It's Shared MSSQL Server, not Shared mySQL, but anyway this is not needed at all. Because with cPanel you get a MySQL Server.

Shared MSSQL Server are only for Windows servers, and are mainly for large sites, as it offers access for one user to one database on a separate Shared MSSQL Server, and weekly backups.
    Last edited by cloudrck; 04-05-2004 at 08:59 PM.

Red Hat Enterprise will come with mySQL, PHP, Perl, Python and those types of open source projects. Is that right, I just need to keep them upto date after that?
    Does Zend Optimizer come with Red Hat or just download off their site?
    Cpanel/WHM can be purchased off their sites and installed and updated by me, right?
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com

Red Hat Enterprise will come with mySQL, PHP, Perl, Python and those types of open source projects.
    I don't think so, unless you get some sort of contol panel.

Does Zend Optimizer come with Red Hat or just download off their site?
    You have to install it off there site via ssh. But this also depends on what control Panel if any you decide to get.
    wget http://DOWNLOAD_URL.tar.gz

Cpanel/WHM can be purchased off their sites and installed and updated by me, right
    You can, but usally you can get it from your host, and they will install it.

To Note cPanel comes with:
    Apache Web Server
    MySQL Database Server
    ProFTPD FTP Server
    Exim Mail Transfer Agent
    PHP
    Zend OptimizerCURL Support
    GD Library
    FrontPage Extensions
    Perl

But to warn you, Cpanel/WHM is hell to keep updated, and patched up, there are problems that cPanel don't know how to fix. To flat out and say it, cPanel is crap. I don't like it, the only reason i use it is because it sells. I prefer DirectAdmin

Last edited by cloudrck; 04-05-2004 at 09:27 PM.

What about anti-virus and firewalls. Can I run iptables and do I need to worry about running anti-virus or are there open source projects for that one also? As for open source can I run webadmin for a control panel for even more savings and less bugs?
    Thanks for all the great advise you have given me. Maybe I should just go with your dedicated servers..Daejuanj
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com

I couldn't help but offer a few suggestions, based on my experience going dedicated...

Required reading for running a dedicated server includes:
    -Linux/Kernel
    -SSH commands
    -DNS/BIND
    -POP3/Sendmail
    -A background in PHP/Perl/MySQL in case customers need you to install a module
    (I highly recommend the O'Reilly books)

You may want to think about getting VDS (virtual dedicated server) to practice on for a month or two. VDS is like having your own dedicated server (you usually get root access)- just with a smaller CPU and only 64-256 MBs of guaranteed RAM. It's not that expensive, and you can practice with your own sites and your friends.

Another possibility is a "server beta test" (this is what I did). Offer some of your friends and good customers with non-mission critical websites a chance to get free hosting while you work out all the kinks on your new server. If there are any problems, they'll be much more understanding than paying customers.

As to your question:

Depending on how managed your provider is, IPtables and anti-virus may be installed/taken care of for you. There's firewall software, but it's often easier to leave firewall protection up to your provider or buying external hardware.
    Last edited by HostMidwest; 04-05-2004 at 11:07 PM.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

I guess another question I would have after all that reading material. (Thanks for all the reading tips).
    What about back ups of the servers, most companies offer back up plans for extra money but can I do all that will control panel and cron jobs or should I pay the extra amount.
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com

I guess another question I would have after all that reading material. (Thanks for all the reading tips).
    What about back ups of the servers, most companies offer back up plans for extra money but can I do all that will control panel and cron jobs or should I pay the extra amount.
    CPanel supports weekly backups. Don't worry, it's very easy to set up; all you need is an ftp account.

Tranxactglobal.com offers a 10 GB backup FTP account for $5/month. Very good deal.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.

With cPanel GD Library has to be checked additionaly in the Apache Update WHM link. There seems to be some bug and the cPanel interface does not correctly reflect the GD status.

As for the DN propagation: If your clients have set up private nameservers with their domain registrar, this may create some havock. You have to warn them all that a transfer will take place and ask them to enter the new IPs for their nameservers.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I will put all of these to use with a new dedicated server for my company. Now which hosting company to use, there are lots of choices? I did fill out a host request form from above but havn't had any offers yet.
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com

www.ServerMatrix.com
    www.FastServers.net
    www.GNAX.com

Those are my personal favorites. All of them offer basic management solutions, and higher levels of management as well. If you go with GNAX, I HIGHLY suggest you go through one of their more reliable resellers for significantly better support.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Be sure to find one with server management, if you're not comfortable running it by yourself.

I found that Nocster was VERY newbie friendly, although their network leaves much to be desired. Good Nocster resellers include HiyaCorp.com, MakoSolutions.com, and MainArea.com (maybe it's MainArea.net).

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I will put all of these to use with a new dedicated server for my company. Now which hosting company to use, there are lots of choices? I did fill out a host request form from above but havn't had any offers yet.
    Thats because not a lot of hosts are subscribed to that feature(it costs a bit of $$)
    It might take a while. Depending on what you want & the price you would like.

Thanks for all the great advise you have given me. Maybe I should just go with your dedicated servers..Daejuanj
    No problem.

Thanks WebHostingTalk members

Thanks everyone from WebHostingTalk.com, I appreciate everything you all have helped me with in the past and in the future. I hope I can learn enough to start to help others.
    Brad
    www.buyourwebhosting.com