Looking for ASP.NET and SQL Server host!

I'm working on a project which requires SQL Server instead of MySQL. Otherwise I'd be hosting it with my reseller account. So, does anyone know of a really good host that has SQL Server support?

I know you're going to hate this answer but try searching the forums for SQL server /ASP based hosts. I've heard good things about MaximumASP but there are many others that are cheaper.

Also you can try *********.net and the Host Quote feature here on the forums.

Cheers

Ramprage is correct, MaximumASP is a great ASP/ASP.NET and SQL host however, they are bit more expensive. I use them for my dedicated hosting needs.

However, for my shared hosting needs, I use discountasp.net. Their technical support is soo fast and they know their stuff about ASP and ASP.NET. They also offer SQL too.

Re: Looking for ASP.NET and SQL Server host!

Originally posted by CodeMonkey15
    I'm working on a project which requires SQL Server instead of MySQL. Otherwise I'd be hosting it with my reseller account. So, does anyone know of a really good host that has SQL Server support?
    Hello,

You have been looking for the same thing since last two months?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=244538

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=232161

Regards,
    Last edited by mediopia; 04-06-2004 at 01:58 AM.
    Mediopia Technologies, Inc - Call Toll Free (24 x 7): 1-877-807-HOST
    Windows and Linux Reseller and Shared Web Hosting Plans
    SiteStudio, ASP, ASP.net, PHP, CGI, Coldfusion MX 6.1, Frontpage, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PgSQL ...
    http://www.mediopia.biz/

there are so many windows host out there that offer SQL Hosting.. it shouldn't be a great problem to find one...
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

We offer ASP.NET / SQL Server but only cater for the UK and Europe, I guess you're in the U.S. ?

If so you might want to look at discountasp.net - I've heard some good reports about them.
    Invectis - Windows 2000, 2003 and MS SQL Server web hosting

I signed up on CrystalTech.com yesterday after reading the reviews on WHT.

Re: Re: Looking for ASP.NET and SQL Server host!

Originally posted by mediopia
    Hello,

You have been looking for the same thing since last two months?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=244538

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=232161

Regards,
    No. As I said above, if they didn't require SQL Server, I would be hosting it with my reseller account.

Yup, forgot about them - I think everything I've ever heard about CrystalTech has been positive, they'd definitely be worth looking at.

Here's a first negative comment about CrystalTech. It took them forever to migrate to Windows 2003 and now that they've migrated their stabalization is not what it used to be. I moved my sites to other hosts because they dont use new win2k3 features.

We've been using MaximumASP to host three domains for over a year know and have never had a single issue. The uptime has been 100%, support is lightning fast, but then again you probably won't need much support given how reliable they are. A little pricey at $199/month, but worth every penny.

I'll second a vote for Crystaltech. While I'm not a professional .NET programmer (I just started playing around with it), the times I've called with what I can only assume are newbie questions, they've been great. As for the upgrade issues, maybe I was an ASP site so I didn't notice issues, but my site's performed quite fine.

iration, I think I may have asked before, but what issues did you notice, and as I'm new to .NET, what are the features of "W2K3" that they're not using?

As for $199/month. WOW!

<edit>fixed some stupid spelling and grammer issues</edit>
    There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Darren, one of the features or better yet one of the new windows 2003 technologies that crystaltech did not use was the isolated application pools technology that comes with windows 2003. When they first introduced windows 2003, they told me that they were not using this windows 2003 feature, which shocked me because this helps prevent downtime for sites on a shared server.

On windows 2003 servers, sites can be hosted as its own isolated application pool. This means that if someone on the server uploads a bad script, then only that users site will go down. In Windows 2000, if someone uploaded a bad script, then the whole server would go down, causing downtime for everyone on the server.

On Windows 2000, I would get very annoyed when the server would go down because of someone else's doing. Now on Windows 2003, this isn't the case.

How much of disk space in the SQL server do you intend to have?

SQL server administration and field design creation has huge difference with mysql. If you really want to get a host with SQl server, find out if the SQL server is hosted on a dedicated server and check the number of hosting connections to the server.

Cristiano

I can't understand why Crystaltech wouldn't support the isolated application pool feature of Win2003. This was, in my mind, one of if not THE main enhancement to the Win2003 server.

Originally posted by hostchat
    I can't understand why Crystaltech wouldn't support the isolated application pool feature of Win2003. This was, in my mind, one of if not THE main enhancement to the Win2003 server.
    I'll tell you why . . .

Each isolated application demands its own chunk of memory and resources from the server and it's just not viable for a typically populated shared server.

According to Microsoft themselves there's a ceiling of around 60 isolated sites per server before you start running into resource problems. Therefore it's too expensive for the host to set things up this way, unless you fancy paying 2 or 3 times as much for your account.

As a host I was also excited about this feature purely for the additional security it offered, seemed to be too good to be true - and it was

Just to follow up on what you said, iration, I sent an email to CrystalTech's support because I was concerned by what you said and they responded with the following information. I hope it’s ok that I posted a response from their support department.

Daren, we have used application pools in Windows 2003 since the inception of Windows 2003 into our infrastructure. We were also the first large Windows hosting company to have a complete Windows 2003 infrastructure (mail, stats, SQL, web, etc. servers running Windows 2003).

Our Application pools are monitored 6 different ways (ADO / ASP / .NET etc.) every 3 seconds to ensure all technologies are functioning properly. This is not commonly done by hosting companies and using all the technologies has allowed us to be a leader in uptime on the Windows platforms. Hopefully this addresses some of your concerns.
    I thought this would be beneficial, especially since there may be others like me who are looking to move from ASP to .NET. And I have to take them at their word as I never see my ASP applications stall.
    There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

This response from CrystalTech is very interesting becuase when I hosted with them, they told me they DID NOT use isolated application pools and secondly their comment about being the first on Windows 2003 is major BS. Windows 2003 did not come out until April of last year and they did not begin using Win2k3 until the fall of last year so that comment is more BS. MaximumASP and Discountasp used Windows 2003 only a few weeks after it was released.

Note that Crystaltech did *not* say that each site had it's own application pool, only that "we have used application pools in Windows 2003 since the inception of Windows 2003 into our infrastructure".

Well so has everyone as all sites must be in an application pool

They might have one application pool per server, or for each reseller or one for every 10 sites - you'd have to ask them to be more specific before you take it that your site will have it's own pool.

On the whole though Windows 2003 is incredibly resiliant and separate pools just aren't needed - we're currently running 4 2003 servers and in the last 6 months or so we've had IIS fail ONCE on one server (which was due to a customer using a ridiculously high number of concurrent connections to the same Access database via DSN).

It is very reliable and I don't think you should worry to much.

Originally posted by iration
    This response from CrystalTech is very interesting becuase when I hosted with them, they told me they DID NOT use isolated application pools and secondly their comment about being the first on Windows 2003 is major BS. Windows 2003 did not come out until April of last year and they did not begin using Win2k3 until the fall of last year so that comment is more BS. MaximumASP and Discountasp used Windows 2003 only a few weeks after it was released.
    Iration....obviously you had your own not so pleasant experience with CT but before you go hollering their comments are "major BS" you might want to read the quote from Darren more closely. CT does not say they were the "first on Windows 2003"....as you have put it. Instead the response Darren received CLEARLY said:

We were also the first large Windows hosting company to have a complete Windows 2003 infrastructure (mail, stats, SQL, web, etc. servers running Windows 2003).
    So before you go making statements that a company is spouting BS you might want to check the facts. OBVIOUSLY the statement of "first large Windows hosting company" is completely open for interpretation by the public....what is large and who are they comparing themselves to?! I'll give you that and I think anytime some company claims to be the "first" in anything is always going to raise skeptical questions by the public. (Including myself) Regardless...I'd just be a little more tempered in your comments and make sure you carefully read what you are quoting. And YES for the record....I am a customer of CT and have been for over three years. Not defending them...just making sure you don't twist a quote because of your apparent dislike.

Todd