Thread: Managed.com

Thumbs up Managed.com

Iíve been reading these forums for a while and researching the dedicated hosting companies that people have been posting about here. Iíve really depended on the posts on this forum to point me in the right direction of good quality dedicated hosting companies. Iíd just like to say that Iíll be making my own decisions and judgments from now on, instead of depending on the remarks of people on this board. Iíve read several terrible posts about a company called MANAGED.COM. So many in fact, I would have never, EVER, gone to them for my business. If it werenít for the fact that I had no other choice to try them out I would have never known how wonderful MANAGED.COM is. I was amazed at the fast response times, and the wonderful sales person I spoke to. Then, instead of 2 days for my server to go online, it was only 6 hours!!! We accidentally messed up the server updating the kernel and it was as easy as sending an email and they re installed the os for us that next day and didnít even charge us for that!!! Iíd just like to say here publicly that MANAGED.COM has been one of the best companies Iíve worked with so for in this mess we call ďdedicated hostingĒ, and I only wish they were located all over the U.S. so I could use them for all of my hosting needs. Great service, great support, great equipment and great bandwidth!!! My customers are extremely happy and that makes me extremely happy! Thank you MANAGED.COM

Brad Tucker
    Vice President
    Sudden Death Gaming, Inc.
    sudden-death.org

I'm very pleased to hear a positive feedback of Managed.com on this board Mostly people complain about them, sometimes the network really let servers down, but their support is like you say amazing and they're also very polite upon their customers.

Well...... lucky you. I ordered mine last Friday and got a response email almost immediately with an order number and all.

Today, monday, I've sent them an email asking about my server (the usual, when do you estimate it will be ready?) and they haven't replied yet.

So, if for you they're batting 1,000 for me, so far, they are still iffy.

An update.... at 7:00 pm on Monday, I got a call asking me for my CC number--which I had already provided--and said "if it runs through" we may have the box ready tomorrow.

But........ don't they check cc' s BEFORE confirming orders??????

I was also pleased with their service until they shut my server down upon review of an anonymous email from some hotmail account (lordwhatever) claiming I had illegal file sharing going on.

I had to deal with customer complaints due to downtime because they took a hotmailer's word over mine.

Originally posted by Trilux
    An update.... at 7:00 pm on Monday, I got a call asking me for my CC number--which I had already provided--and said "if it runs through" we may have the box ready tomorrow.

But........ don't they check cc' s BEFORE confirming orders??????
    I know that managed.com has had some pretty serious problems at least once before with Client's Credit Card information.

HDD problem

managed.com give this partition:

Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda2 7876 133 7343 2% /
    /dev/hda1 76 13 60 17% /boot
    /dev/hda8 48381 33 45892 1% /home
    none 252 0 252 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda7 1012 33 928 4% /tmp
    /dev/hda6 7876 1144 6332 16% /usr
    /dev/hda5 7876 86 7390 2% /var

is it a joke? 1M-blocks!
    and 252swap?!!

do they offer os reload for free? i need to ask them reformat my HDD, this is different from what they promised to me!

2nd nice feedback within a month

nice, seems they are developing
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by xanthion
    I was also pleased with their service until they shut my server down upon review of an anonymous email from some hotmail account (lordwhatever) claiming I had illegal file sharing going on.

I had to deal with customer complaints due to downtime because they took a hotmailer's word over mine.
    Waitasecond...... Managed.com's stated policy on restrictions is "NO RESTRICTIONS" in content. I was surprised, but that's what I read.

Originally posted by Trilux
    Waitasecond...... Managed.com's stated policy on restrictions is "NO RESTRICTIONS" in content. I was surprised, but that's what I read.
    no restriction on LEGAL content. They state right in their AUP

(x) Managed.com has no restrictions on contents. Adult materials, MP3s, games, and audio/video streaming are permitted. However, customers are strictly prohibited from using egg-drops, IRC bots, warez materials and shell hosting services on Managed.com servers and network.
    ~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Just out of curiosity.... what the heck are "egg-drops" and "shell hosting services?"

IRC hosting.

Eggdrop is a IRC bot that can do many things .From a trivia bot, so a virtual drug dealer (this one cracks me up...uh, pun not intended), to hosting a file server, to even being a DDOS bot.

Shell hosting is usually for people to either run scripts from, to connecting to IRC services in general.

I wanted to host just plain old bitchx on my box, but my host (they resell managed servers) gave me fair warning that managed would kick my arse, heh'

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

I have been with managed.com for just a week and yesterday I had locked myself out of the root due to my stupid mistake.

I had emailed managed support and within 15 mins I got a polite reply back that they have fixed the same, WOW thatís soo good and fast, and again I fire a second question after a couple of minutes and get a reply back in 10 mins so as far as I am concerned I am impressed with there support.

I've been with Managed for about a month. Not hosting anything critical. Mostly file storage, some backups, etc...

From my experience, their tech support was very slow. It took them 24hrs+ to respond to some of my more simplistic requests. However, as long as I keep it running and dont need support, everything has been running smooth.

T7702

Originally posted by fuse1982
    HDD problem

managed.com give this partition:

Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda2 7876 133 7343 2% /
    /dev/hda1 76 13 60 17% /boot
    /dev/hda8 48381 33 45892 1% /home
    none 252 0 252 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda7 1012 33 928 4% /tmp
    /dev/hda6 7876 1144 6332 16% /usr
    /dev/hda5 7876 86 7390 2% /var

is it a joke? 1M-blocks!
    and 252swap?!!

do they offer os reload for free? i need to ask them reformat my HDD, this is different from what they promised to me!
    /dev/shm is NOT swap, I'm not sure where everybody is getting this idea from. Take a look at my server (not at Managed.com):

[email protected] [~]# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda6 1011M 257M 703M 27% /
    /dev/hda1 30M 15M 13M 52% /boot
    /dev/hda8 45G 1.8G 40G 5% /home
    none 250M 0 249M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda7 494M 8.1M 460M 2% /tmp
    /dev/hda3 3.9G 2.1G 1.6G 56% /usr
    /dev/hda2 3.9G 959M 2.7G 26% /var

[email protected] [~]# free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 499 476 23 0 192 80
    -/+ buffers/cache: 202 297
    Swap: 1027 109 918

Type "free -m" and look under the TOTAL column for Swap, that tells you how much swap you have.

- Matt

There's another very recent thread fuse1982 even posted in that explains why he thinks his HD is formatted wrong.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

Originally posted by amusive.com
    There's another very recent thread fuse1982 even posted in that explains why he thinks his HD is formatted wrong.
    Yeah, I just took a look at that one... Some people shouldn't be allowed to run their own servers.

- Matt

Well I just got my server with managed.com set up (fairly quickly), and the first thing I notice is that it can't connect to the outside. Can't resolve any pings, can't connect to Cpanel for updates. I have also noticed that speed to the box is up and down. So far, not so good...

We have a server with managed that we use for backups and script writing, I have to say its been pretty good so far. No problems as of yet.

*Crosses fingers*

i have been with managed.com for 4 months now.

i can louadly say i have never been happy with any DC as much as i am with managed.com

and we moved almost 80% to managed.com now.

for us managed.com is the best.
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by spiderweb
    Well I just got my server with managed.com set up (fairly quickly), and the first thing I notice is that it can't connect to the outside. Can't resolve any pings, can't connect to Cpanel for updates. I have also noticed that speed to the box is up and down. So far, not so good...
    If you can connect to the server, then most likely, you never set your resolver config. Do this through WHM or by editing /etc/resolv.conf (I think that's the location). It should have 127.0.0.1 as the primary resolver, and then two off-server nameserver IPs.

- Matt

Originally posted by Boost
    i can louadly say i have never been happy with any DC as much as i am with managed.com
    You haven't been with very many datacenters, have you? Managed.com is a budget provider, like many other DCs. You need to pay for quality, and if you go with a more expensive, higher-end datacenter, you'll see a major difference. I'm not referring to EV1 or those kinds of providers (although EV1 has been doing well).

- Matt

Originally posted by mainarea
    Yeah, I just took a look at that one... Some people shouldn't be allowed to run their own servers.

- Matt
    Or write software -- directadmin's documentation refers to shm as swap.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

- Matt
    everyone has his own early days, at least i'm learning, i just completed the directadmin setup checking list, everything is running smoothly, and i will start to host my customers, i remember hostnexus also started at dedicated server from knowing nothing about web hosting, it's not that hard to run servers, give me 1 or 2 years, i may beat your skills.

everyone has his own early days, at least i'm learning, i just completed the directadmin setup checking list, everything is running smoothly, and i will start to host my customers, i remember hostnexus also started at dedicated server from knowing nothing about web hosting, it's not that hard to run servers, give me 1 or 2 years, i may beat your skills.
    If you're going to host customers, make sure that you hire a server admin to do a security lockdown and patch things when needed (also emergency fixes). I started out with a managed server, now I have an unmanaged one as well (but I still have people that I can call on if I need emergency help).

- Matt

I still maintain my assessment of managed.com

1. Cheap and good for backups
    2. good for experienced server owners
    3. support semi-lacking
    4. network quality questionable

Final Assessment,

While managed is currently fine for a backup solution I would be hesitant to place paying customers onto it until their network continues to demonstrate reliability. Those last few patches of downtime with the xo addition and even before that were not welcome but hey a backup server who cares if its down or not. Overall managed.com deserves a fair chance but don't come crying if you put paid clients onto it and the nework doesn't perform.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

I did have Rackspace techs backing me up. They taught me a lot and did some basic patching etc. Servers got hacked all the time via php scripts and lovely open_ssl vulnerabilities but that's all in the distant past, thank god.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACKô ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

. . . it's not that hard to run servers . . .
    If you hear something, it was the jaws of 1,000 sysadmins all dropping at the same time, when they read that.
    ē AussieHost.com ē Aussie Bob, host since 2001 ē
    ē Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! ē

You haven't been with very many datacenters, have you? Managed.com is a budget provider, like many other DCs. You need to pay for quality, and if you go with a more expensive, higher-end datacenter, you'll see a major difference. I'm not referring to EV1 or those kinds of providers (although EV1 has been doing well).

- Matt
    ya havent been with very many that is right.

only GNAX Ezzi EV1 SM and currently still with GNAX SM left the rest.

and for what i pay to managed.com they are the best.

matt you know this good, it is about if you know how to handle your servers or not.
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

on a positive note to managed.com i put in a reboot request, and was replied to even before i received receipt of my ticket being sent. It was about a 5 second response time. This is not normal, I've had reboot requests go an hour or so, but it looks like managed.com is starting to turn around and get back on top of things.
    Joe
    www.DollarWebHosting.Biz
    |:| Shared |:| Reseller |:| Dedicated |:|

Yes thats the atitude!

But I think you voice out your same concern in 2 different threads before even giving time for anyone to answer you, is a bit rash on your side.

No offense, but i honestly dont think thats the attitude to go.

You expect to pick up the skills 1, 2 years later... so within these 2 years whos gonna manage the server...you ? If so... you should probably not advertise your hosting company in WHT
    Shawn Ho
    Singapore Web Hosting Talk - http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    Singapore Soccer - http://www.singaporesoccer.com
    EMAIL - [email protected]

I guess everybody got to start somewhere. I realise you are forced to learn faster in the real world than in a classroom.

As for fuse1982 do have a backup plan when you can't handle.

This is good. Im tossing between SM and Managed.com.

Seems both are raising their quality.

I'd go with ServerMatrix. ServerMatrix has been around longer, and overall, has a much better network. They're also located centrally, so people from both the East Coast and West Coast get decent pings.

-Josh

My first day at managed.com. My experience so far is:

Their sale progress: A
    Their network: let see ????
    Thier support: let see ????

I would like to say thank to webhostingtalk forum. I believe with webhostingtalk, and the voice of people here, web hosting company is trying to get better.

Again thank you all

dnn

I have 2 servers from managed. So far very stable, just hope it maintain this way. Support may be slow but I don't need it too much. Reboot server within 30mins, some say 10mins, I guess depend how busy they are then.