Thread: Reputation

Lightbulb Reputation

I just had an idea. A lot of people been complaining (including myself, I don't hide the fact) about community degradation - poor quality of material, posts, etc.

There is a feature in vBulletin where you can allow users to rank the reputation of certain posts and users according to what they publish.

I think it can have a great positive impact on WHT community as there will be a competition for higher quality responses and standards.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Not a bad idea, Art, but how do you prevent abuse? Grudge ranking? Stacked ranking?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I believe that's a feature in vB3. We may be a ways away from going there.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Yes, not a bad idea! Though... I prefer to read some posts and itself appraise rank of the given user.
    Bestbg - Best "Background" Services

I like the idea aswell.

We need mod points, like on Slashdot.

Originally posted by JTY
    We need mod points, like on Slashdot.
    +1, Informative

Originally posted by vito
    Not a bad idea, Art, but how do you prevent abuse? Grudge ranking? Stacked ranking?

Vito
    Vito, a user cannot vote for himself nor add to the reputation ranking.

And if he goes out to asking people around to vote for him - he won't last - its the same as spamming - 1 extra line should be added to the rules, that's it.

Then again, 2-3 extra votes he'll get from his closest friends won't matter much on a forum as huge as this. Same goes for those "bad ranks" on purpose. I mean how many people would do something like this on a professional forum? We don't have that many conflicts here to be at all bothered by this.

Best,

Artashes, always the voice of reason.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I like that, Vito, makes me more productive.

"Rating" a member would be a bad idea. There's enough issues on these forums as is not to mention preferred treatment, favoritism, and boyz club mentality IMHO. Do I get warning points for saying that?
    Last edited by FTPguy; 04-04-2004 at 09:46 PM.

What if we brought back "thread" ratings?

Originally posted by FTPguy
    . . . Do I get warning points for saying that?
    You've got mail!

I'm just guessing. Seeing's how you're connected to the internet and all; the chances are pretty good.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by Akash
    What if we brought back "thread" ratings?
    Could be a good start, but will not really contribute to users' personal level of satisfaction and feeling of competition for better quality posts.

I have it enabled on my mboard, although I'm still learning how to use the thing...
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Personally, I think it'd be a bad idea to put in reputation on this specific board. A while back, yes, I thought it might work, but given a number of reasons, I wouldn't think it would work.

Firstly, we have the whole moderation issue. How in the sam hill do you expect this to be moderated? It just can not be done, not with THIS many users. We're talking mods full time just doing THAT. Forget about the posts!

Secondly, we have revenge:
    Oh, this person did this to me, now it's time to pay them back on WHT
    NOT!
    Even better:
    Oh, this person started a negative thread towards me, I guess I can do this to them!
    Again, NOT!

I hate to say it, but with the spiteful attitude that most have around here, I'd say it's a very bad idea. Originally, yeah I thought it was a good one as well (this was some months back, I believe way back when Chicken was still a mod), but a LOT has changed then, WHT has grown a LOT (for better, or worse, it's happened), and a LOT of that is completely and totally immaturity. I, for one would not exactly be happy if I found some kid giving me a poor rating, just because I was his/her competition, or because they perceived something wrong. Like it or not, it WOULD happen.

On a smaller board, I'd say yeah, but on WHT, I don't think it's the greatest idea in the world. It'd be an absolute nightmare to implement and moderate.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I don't think it would work either. Some people wouldn't care what rating they got. Personally I would have thought if you were relying on the net for your income you would be extra careful what you posted. I mean if I was about to do business with a particular firm/person amd I read bad posts from that person I certainly wouldn't do business with them.

You people are on show for the world to see that should be enough motivation to bite your tongue and exercise a bit of decorum.

What about free beer for the best post and more free beer for the most helpful, and we get to throw cream cakes at the moderators.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    What about free beer for the best post and more free beer for the most helpful, and we get to throw cream cakes at the moderators.
    Cream cakes I can handle, certainly better than the ones flying lately

Have we tried it to say it doesn't work?

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    Cream cakes I can handle, certainly better than the ones flying lately
    Not everyone is throwing things at the Mods. Some of us are able to discern the extremely difficult position iNet has placed the Moderators in.

As for Artashes suggestion, on the surface it does seem like a good one. Perhaps a test could be initiated in a specific forum to monitor results?