Question Server Setup ... do i need a better server

I'm currently developing a highend site in which will have a huge user database. So far i've purchased ...

Intel Dual Xeon 2.0 GHz Packages
    1 GB RAM - (2) 73GB Hard Drives
    10 Mbps unlimited Monthly Transfer

this will be used as my main Fileserver/Frontend machine and then i was thinking about getting a ...

Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz Packages
    1 GB RAM - (2) 80GB Hard Drives
    1000 GB Monthly Transfer

server to do just handle the mysql database. since it's just going to be database request I don't think it'll need more than 1000GB or will it? my project is going to be a highend photo database site my coder is designing it so that the database will only handle user info and small amounts of data. Do i need a more powerful server for the database. The site will be hosting digital photo galleries/albums that users create.

It is hard to say since it is difficult to visualize what is 'highend' or 'huge' in your perspective.

The important issue I see is where the business logics are going to be hosted. The place where the bulk of the processing would be would definitely benefit from the faster machine.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by eddy2099
    It is hard to say since it is difficult to visualize what is 'highend' or 'huge' in your perspective.

The important issue I see is where the business logics are going to be hosted. The place where the bulk of the processing would be would definitely benefit from the faster machine.
    the main brunt of everything would be handle by the Main server hosting the pictures, uploading photo etc.

here's a rough example of the site it's going to host people's photo galleries someone takes say 100 pics with a digital cam they'll be able to upload it to my service/site and be able to share their photo album with family and friends. so the main server is going to take all the hits and displaying of the images. the idea is to limit the access to the database maybe have a script that will generate once during file upload and then know where the user images are without having to access the database everytime someone visits his/her album.

Well then that set up should do fine.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Well then that set up should do fine.
    is 1gig ram good for the db? I can move up to like a p4 server for a few bucks more

1 gig ram should do fine. If you can afford a P4 servers then go for it. There is no shame in getting a higher powered configuration.

If you have both on a private subnet, you should be fine.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

private subnet? whats that

He basically mean (if I am not wrong) to link the two servers together in their own private network without exposing the database server directly to the internet. You basically create a private network for the two machines. If you do this, all traffic between the two machines would not be counted towards your bandwidth usage and also the database server is protected from intrusions from outside the network.

how do I create a private subnet? right now anything transfering between the two servers count towards my bw.

We currently have a dual xeon 2.0Ghz dell poweredge with 2gigs of RAM that has no problem dealing with over 1200 users using a a very large SQL database with pictures, massive java, and tons of data. Naturally, not all users are connected to the database at once, but the number is still fairly sizeable. It also has a RAID 5 setup to help with access times.

Personally, I'd use the Dual Xeon for the database - but you dont need all that bandwidth for it.

Celeron processors of any clock speed will not handle a large database well. MySQL is heavily dependent on your CPUs, so the Dual Xeon would crush the Celeron in terms of executing queries and getting them out of the process queue.

You create a private subnet when you have your webhost add a secondary network card on each of the machines and link them through a crossover cable or a hub. When you have the servers access each other through the private IP on the Private Subnet, it would not be counted towards your bandwidth.

Check with your datacenter if they do provide that solution.

Looks like he is trying to use a managed.com server for database, it this true guy? If so choose diff server!

i'm going to go with this $199 package
    Intel Dual Xeon 2.0 GHz Packages
    512MB RAM - 73GB SCSI Hard Drive
    700 GB Monthly Transfer

as my database server, I'll had a extra 1gig ram to bump it to 1.5gig. ev1 doesn't have any available yet but, it'll take about a month to finish the database and site design so hopefully it'll be available in a few weeks.