Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: managed.com...?

managed.com...?

just wondering what you guys think of managed.com? their prices are very cheap... so i wanna know if they're worth buying or now...

thanks

Not many would consider placing clients on a Managed.com server. I would not.

Try using the search feature for better results.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

been a month on managed with a box, no issues as of yet.... but again a lot of people complain, so it's kinda hit or miss.

their support is sometimes slow so if you can't manage the box, dont expect speedy support
    Joe
    www.DollarWebHosting.Biz
    |:| Shared |:| Reseller |:| Dedicated |:|

btw, does managed.com work on sat and sun? i ordered one, they said server will be setup within 48 hours during working day.
    is today there working day?

No they don't process order on weekend (Sat & Sun). Orders are processed during Mon to Fri. This is what happen to my order too. Since you order on weekend do check with sales on monday. My first order was delayed due to a wrong input I made on the order form, but neither the form nor sales warn me, sales just sit on my order, until I alarm them.

thanks, hopefully they got me right, i order that 60USD server, no cpanel, should be quite straight forward.btw, do they stop tech support on sat, sun too?

You might ask managed.com to set up a forum, that way you will get a faster response.

Originally posted by music
    You might ask managed.com to set up a forum, that way you will get a faster response.
    Not on a week-end you won't. They are closed on the week-ends....

so-so connectivity/peering...

They have a rock solid 1000Mbps AboveNet line as well as a 1000Mbps XO Communications line. These are supposedly running in BGP - although im not so sure this is true.

They also have a Layer42 line, im not sure on the speed of it though, my guess would be 155Mbps or lower, however some people have suggested it is 1000Mbps.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

I have been with them about a month. I have no complain about the line, though there were outages but anticipated to happen due to the switch to XO. After the XO stint, line has been solid stable, hope it keep that way.

We intstalled plesk7 without changing anything they provided us, which is RH9 and we like the default multi-partitions on the drive. It seems to work faster. We did not need a reboot until today.

Of course we are experience in setting up our own stuff. So that help us not rely on support. We are from EV1 (still have servers with EV1). My experience on support with EV1 and Managed is the same, don't mess up your server and then expect support to help you.

Yes managed support is not 24/7, so be prepared to wait if you send support email during off hours. If you know your stuff, use the server as it should be, install at least a basic firewall in your server, I think you can use any budget hosting vendor.

Dont Expect a great deal of support - Network is somwhat stable but still accebtable.

Last ticket was replied within 10 min regarding a DNS issue.

Basically, if you know how to manage your server, it will work for you just fine.

Originally posted by Sash!
    They have a rock solid 1000Mbps AboveNet line as well as a 1000Mbps XO Communications line. These are supposedly running in BGP - although im not so sure this is true.

They also have a Layer42 line, im not sure on the speed of it though, my guess would be 155Mbps or lower, however some people have suggested it is 1000Mbps.
    Their connectivity wasn't rock solid before they added in XO, and especially while they were in the process of adding XO. Wait another few months to be able to see how well their network has really been "fixed" (or maybe they'll be in FL by then ).

-Josh

Originally posted by mcraft
    We intstalled plesk7 without changing anything they provided us, which is RH9 and we like the default multi-partitions on the drive. It seems to work faster. We did not need a reboot until today.
    mcraft, is their way of partition okay for you? yes i liked the multi partitions, but they only make 256 swap and the block size is 1M-Blocks, that will waste lots of space. i heard their os reload is free, so i was thinking to ask them increase my swap partition and decrease per block size.

i do think 1M is too big even what i have is a 80G HD.

"Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on"

what do you say?

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda2 7.7G 133M 7.2G 2% /
    /dev/hda1 76M 13M 60M 17% /boot
    /dev/hda8 84G 125M 80G 1% /home
    none 505M 0 505M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda7 1012M 41M 921M 5% /tmp
    /dev/hda6 7.7G 1.6G 5.8G 22% /usr
    /dev/hda5 7.7G 155M 7.2G 3% /var

The above is the partitions come with the managed server.
    I am not sure what you use your server for, but I am hosting web, email and database application. So those critical partition to me are

/dev/hda8 84G /home (web files are all stored here)
    /dev/hda5 7.7G /var (mail + mysql db files are all stored here)

So /var partition is critically lacking in space in the long run. So in order not to re-partition we symlink our mail folders to /home which has the biggest partition. Plesk 7 works with what we did.

We found that the segregation of files in different partitions resulted in quick access of those files within that partition. Therefore we didn't want to touch the partitions even managed offer to re-do the partition.

We have another partitioned as follows,
    /dev/sda3 65G 8.1G 53G 14% /
    /dev/sda1 99M 25M 69M 26% /boot
    none 756M 0 755M 0% /dev/shm

This server is not very stable and freeze a lot even we have not much on the server.

Though we feel the managed server work faster we are not sure how the server take it when I load the server with 100+ of my clients' files in it. I plan to fully load the server by end of April, if managed network continue to be stable. May update you the status then.

Your concerns:
    1) "Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on"
    I am not sure what you refer to.

2) they only make 256 swap ?
    I think that is not swap but some unused space which is always found in every linux partition drive.

To check what's your swap, do a "top" at root access, it should be 2X RAM usually.

thanks Mcraft, i also use the server to host website, here is the result when i run df:

Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda2 7876 133 7343 2% /
    /dev/hda1 76 13 60 17% /boot
    /dev/hda8 48381 33 45892 1% /home
    none 252 0 252 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda7 1012 33 928 4% /tmp
    /dev/hda6 7876 1144 6332 16% /usr
    /dev/hda5 7876 86 7390 2% /var

you can see dev/shm is 252m. run "top" also showing the swap is 2104504k. my server comes with a single 80G HDD and 512RAM, that's why i don't get why they only setup 212 swap. and do you notice my partition size are in MB? 1M-blocks

so i could order a repartition, but see nowhere in their website that they can do it for free, support ticket is kinda slow there.

Those are headers of the infomation below. If you want to see in a way we understand, try df -h.

dev/shm are unused space anyway it is so small don't worry about it, every linux drive has this.

Just send a support request to redo the partition. They will respond. First time is free, subsequent request is chargeable.

i had mine setup a few weeks ago... got 1k blocks but same 252m swap

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda2 8064304 167368 7487280 3% /
    /dev/hda1 77771 12571 61184 18% /boot
    /dev/hda8 49541932 924044 46101308 2% /home
    none 257096 0 257096 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda7 1035692 33740 949340 4% /tmp
    /dev/hda5 8064304 172832 7481816 3% /var
    /dev/hda6 8064304 1467024 6187624 20% /usr

top shows
    12:41:51 up 10 days, 8:24, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
    Swap: 2104504k av, 19468k used, 2085036k free 186724k cached

dosen't seem to be an issue
    Last edited by joekushner; 04-06-2004 at 12:42 PM.
    Joe
    www.DollarWebHosting.Biz
    |:| Shared |:| Reseller |:| Dedicated |:|

[root@apple root]# df -h
    /dev/hda2 7.7G 134M 7.2G 2% /
    /dev/hda1 76M 13M 60M 17% /boot
    /dev/hda8 48G 33M 45G 1% /home
    none 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda7 1012M 33M 928M 4% /tmp
    /dev/hda6 7.7G 1.4G 6.0G 20% /usr
    /dev/hda5 7.7G 131M 7.2G 2% /var

mcraft, you said /dev/shm is unused space, but doesn't it eventually swap partition? what's difference between /dev/shm and swap?

anyway, i've placed a repartition request to them. to increase /dev/shm to 2G since i plan to add more RAM, and some other changes.

thank you for your explianation.

/dev/shm is useless space not assigned to anything. Swap is already assigned in your drive to a folder of a fix size. If you know linux command you can change the swap size, no re-partition required.

Anyway you have 2104504k of swap, which is 2G. What is your worry? You have only 512MB of ram, even you increase your ram to 1GB the swap is still sufficient.

You're only worried because you don't know how to read a df output

/dev/shm is not your swap space. It's POSIX shared memory.

df -k shows your usage in 1k blocks. df -m shows your usage in 1M blocks. None of this is at all related to how your hard drive is formatted.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

i'm kinda confusd on /dev/shm

what i read from directadmin.com, DA's requirement is

/boot 40 meg
    /dev/shm 2 x memory
    / rest of drive

so it wasn't swap? i did read some article on partition, but i don't see there is /dev/shm, so it confused me.okay, i leant a lesson today, must read more then thanks for you two's explaination.
    Last edited by fuse1982; 04-06-2004 at 02:50 PM.

Originally posted by fuse1982
    i'm kinda confusd on /dev/shm

what i read from directadmin.com, DA's requirement is

/boot 40 meg
    /dev/shm 2 x memory
    / rest of drive

so it wasn't swap? i did read some article on partition, but i don't see there is /dev/shm, so it confused me.okay, i leant a lesson today, must read more then thanks for you two's explaination.
    This is because they, also, do not know what /dev/shm is. It is NOT swap space. In fact, it's NOT even hard drive space. /dev/shm is a subset of your memory. You can use it, in essence, as a ram disk -- something that seems like a harddrive but is actually completely in ram.

Because it is a subset and physically located in memory, it makes no sense to say make it 2x your memory size. I'd be surprised if it's even possible.

Not only that, it doesn't even has a fixed size. If you have nothing on it, it doesn't use memory. If you do, it expands taking up memory as it needs it (this is how it differs from an actual ramdisk).

Swap space does not show up under df because it really doesn't use a conventional filesystem. "Used" and "remaining" don't make sense for it in the same sense they do for hard drive space. Use 'free' to show details on your swap space.

Edit: to summarize the above, you can safely ignore the fact /dev/shm exists

mcraft,
    I'm seriously looking at purchasing the $60 server with redhat 9 and install Plesk 7 myself. Though I am somewhat leery now that the redhat 9 "end of life" is coming up here in a few weeks. Will there be anyone else publsihing updates for it? I've called Managed to about getting Mandrake custom installed on a server but they wheren't very helpful.
    Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Fedora Legacy Project (different than the Fedora OS) publishes updates for redhat 7.x and will begin publishing updates for 9 once it reaches EOL. The service is free. You can also pay Progeny $5 a month for essentially the same service.

It'd be foolish, IMHO, though, to order a system that is more or less instantly out of date. I'm surprised they don't at least offer Fedora Core 1...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast