Which dedicated for me?

Hi! I and a friend of mine would like to take a dedicated to put our stuff on it: mail & data backups, maybe a site or two.
    We don't want to spend too much, and we don't need too much hardware.
    I think that a low-end Celeron with 256MB RAM and 40 GB hard drive should be enough. Bandwidth should be around 50 GB/month, but 25 GB/month maybe would be enough. OS: Linux (any distro) or FreeBSD.
    We're willing to pay setup, but if we pay it price/month should be really really low.

I've searched a lot, but haven't found a solution that satisfies me and my friend. Do you have any idea of a host that can accomodate good prices (very good prices ) and these specs?

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,

I would look over the special offers, maybe a nocster close out. $75/mo should be doable

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Looked around a bit trying to find something close didnt really. Going to be hard to find 40GB storage with only 25-50GB bandwidth. Trying to find something close to that you really are going to get ripped with the minimal bandwidth you require. As most offer something like 800-1000GB/month. I suggest trying the Host Quote

If you are not looking at a lot of interactive contents on the server then probably a VPS account should do the trick for you.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Yes, I thought to a VPS... but they are usually low in disk space...

How much disk space do you actually need ?

One thing about dedicated servers is the issue of managing and administration of the machine. Security, Configuration and Optimization issues do come to mind.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by eddy2099
    How much disk space do you actually need ?
    40 gigabytes would be enough.

One thing about dedicated servers is the issue of managing and administration of the machine. Security, Configuration and Optimization issues do come to mind.
    I know, but I don't need any help or assistance at all, I'll do it on my own. I just need a provider with a good reputation (e.g. that doesn't have IP ranges already blacklisted on anti-spam systems etc.)

Yup, 40 gb is actually a lot of files. Like what is your budget like ?

Does places like managed.com or fdcservers.net meet your budget ?

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Yup, 40 gb is actually a lot of files. Like what is your budget like ?
    Unluckily not. Even the cheapest solution they offer is in our opinion too much expensive for just keeping our data and mail at safe.

I saw serverpronto.com, but they do not seem to have a good reputation and, moreover, they offer 200 GB/month of bandwidth, which simply is way too much.
    Say, if serverpronto.com was 20$/month... (with 50GB/month, of course, not 200!)
    I know it's a very low price, but we're not going to get a cent out of it.

For that budget, it is really going to be quite difficult to find even an oversold virtual account. Maybe what you could do is probably do local backups instead of putting them on the web. It is safer and probably cheaper in the end.

Try www.Nocster.com for cheap backup solutions.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

One of Nocster's closeout servers would be the way to go for you. They have a few small IP ranges listed at level 1 or 2 at SPEWS, but the majority of the IPs are at 0 (especially the new ranges they're assigning), and you could always request a non-SPEWED IP if needed.

-Josh

(Woohoo - 900th Post!)

Originally posted by Joshua
    (Woohoo - 900th Post!)
    Congratulations man! No one congratulated me on my 200th post!