Special Technologies

In order to better secure my server I've been thinking of forgetting the tradional FTP over sftp which is a secure FTP connection over SSH. How would you guys think this would effect clients? There are free clients out there for sftp, and most paid ones like WS_FTP Pro and such have support for it. But do you guys think that this can discourage a client from signing up?
    Michael MacKinnon

You have to consider your potential clients true knowledge versus perceived knowledge of computers and the internet. I know we still get lots of relatively inexperienced people asking our support staff exactly how to FTP files to their domain.

It could be possibly that by using technologies that are not generally used by most internet users, you could be limiting your possible client pool.

The more advanced computer/internet user will not have any problems, just those who are very new to the whole idea of being a webmaster.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

I think as long as you provide tutorials to using sftp you wouldn't have a problem. I would reccomend something like the flash tutorials though since some people will really be confused by it.
    Advanced Forum Hosting
    http://www.boardnation.com
    Easily build a community today!

Or you can look at it this way. You can walk a person through using plain old FTP to upload their files, or walk them through using an SFTP client. Either way, you're going to be walking the Internet Challenged through one program or the other, to them, it doesnt matter which.

Well let me put it this way, if you own a hosting company do you use sftp to make the connections secure for your clients?
    Michael MacKinnon

Are you needing FTP client software or FTP server software suggestions?

If you are looking for clients, I would like to suggest, WS_FTP LE available at www.ftpplanet.com or you might want to look at FTP Surfer from www.ftpsurfer.com
    WWTS.Host | Quality Hosting Solutions | "Host With Us, We Care!" | Founded 2016
    Sales & Billing (855) 357-2100 | Service & Support (706) 622-4000

Web Hosting | Business Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Servers | VPS | Colocation + More