Question Adding pages to a high PR site....

Scenario:

You have a site with a PR7, and full of quality relevant content. It's a small site, only 5-6 pages, and they all have the high PR. Now you need to add new pages because you have new content on the way, and you want to make sure that you do it the smartest way possible, so you don't harm your good ranking.

Question:

So are there any gudelines, tips, or rules-of-thumb for this situation?

Should you only add one new page at a time? Does it matter? Etc. etc. etc.

Please share!

Make sure it's relevant material, don't upload pages about animals when your site is for webmasters. Other than that, PR should be passed down eventually fairly nicely.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

I don't think the PR get's affected if you're using the same style and subjects as you did on your site already. Be carefull uploading linkpages though. They won't be liked.

Originally posted by ic3d
    I don't think the PR get's affected if you're using the same style and subjects as you did on your site already. Be carefull uploading linkpages though. They won't be liked.
    Depends on how you do it. On my site I have the entire ODP RDF dump and that has served to only improve my PR.

Originally posted by ic3d
    Originally posted by Rich2k
    Depends on how you do it. On my site I have the entire ODP RDF dump and that has served to only improve my PR.
    Guys, please explain what you mean by the terms highlighted in red.

Thank you very much.

The Netscape Open Directory project offer their entire search engine in the form of an XML database dump which you can use yourself (following the license of course).

This contains over 4 million websites and is used by the likes of Google to power their directory.

I know google for example doesn't like linkexchange pages, in some forms known as linkfarms. Let's say that you contact 50 webmasters of simular sites for a linkexchange. They all add a link to your site and you all link to all theire sites. Eventually you have a linkpage, that's the page where you link those 50 other sites. The 50 other sites have the same page with you among theire links.

Google seems to spend all day, every day crawling my site. At one point I remember having three Googlebots there at the same time, I'm sure that's not meant to happen

Google PR is some kind of mystery and there no exact guidelines on how you can improve you page rank.

I upgraded my forums from vB version 2 to vB 3.0 which led to more pages avaliable for indexing by google. And right now I have over 2000 pages listed instead of only 200+ a month ago. This might be considered adding new content too. But instead of rising my PR fell from 6 to 5. But it might happened because of some other reason - links to other websites or something else.

The only piece of advice to add now is to integrate fully all the new pages. For a small site, your nav bar should also serve as a site map.
    David Leonhardt
    Ghostwriters for hire

Originally posted by resurepus.co
    Google PR is some kind of mystery and there no exact guidelines on how you can improve you page rank.
    Of course there are. Only a couple of details about the PageRank calculation are unclear: the value of the damping factor (which presumably is changed from time to time) and the precise formula for how the probability distribution is converted from the "real" PageRank to the number indicated on the toolbar. That is, since PageRank is actually a probability distribution over all of the pages in Google's index, the sum of all of those PageRanks is really one. That's converted to the number between 0 and 10, spread over some logarithmic scale, that is the indicated PR on the toolbar.

In effect, though, that's a trivial matter. The numbers on the toolbar don't matter; your real PageRank does. Indicated PageRank can be helpful in comparing sites or evaluating your own progress, but whether it shows up as a 6 or a 7, or a 5 or an 8, is meaningless -- and Google has changed some of the process mentioned above from time to time resulting a shift in PageRank that has no actual effect at all beyond causing panic among those that pay too much attention to it.

The point is that while it's difficult to predict what the PageRank value indicated for any specific page will be under a given set of circumstances, it's very clear how PageRank is determined and by extension it's quite clear "how you can improve you page rank."

And, while I'm disagreeing with things...
    Originally posted by amabaie
    For a small site, your nav bar should also serve as a site map.
    Since "nav bar" usually implies a menu using image links, or perhaps Flash or javascript, that's probably not a good idea -- you'd lose the (very important) benefit of anchor text in those links. Even worse, some types of nav bars may not be crawled at all by some search engines.

Use plain html links to link to each page, whether from your index page as suggested above or from a separate site map.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Google seems to spend all day, every day crawling my site. At one point I remember having three Googlebots there at the same time, I'm sure that's not meant to happen
    Actually, if you read the technology documentation on Google's site, you'll see that this is not unusual activity for a site with plenty of dynamic content.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

no linkfarms

It's best not to exchange links in a link page. instead it is better if you exchange links in content. For example, exchanging articles with links might be more effective than simply exchanging links on a page with a bunch of other links.

They don't care about linkfarms if you obey there other magic rules and as long as you link high pr sites with the same kind of subject.

Once a week or so i have 20-30 different googlebots crawling my site at once for a couple of hours (all individual IP's) which is quite nuts when it happens. I have a copy of the PHP manual uploaded, they usually have their party in there.
    Hyperconfused (™)

Nepala, I don't think that's what Mazsola was saying.

A website with many pages all very well interlinked will tend to have a much greater PR than a small site or one with less interlinking -- all other things being equal.

But, each individual link is worth much less, when the page's PR has to be split among many outbound links. Therefore, if you have a single link on a page, it is best to have that link on a page with fewer outbound links.

Furthermore, PR is just one of many factors that goes into ranking a page for a specific search. Foir istance, if you want to rank well in searched for "yummy eggplant", it is best to have those words in your anchor text, to have them nearby the link on the page, and to have the page the link is on well-optimized for "yummy eggplant" This is much easier to achieve with contextual links than with link-directory links.

It is not a question of good and evil, as much as which is more effective.
    David Leonhardt
    Ghostwriters for hire