Making a hosting company buy both .com and .net domains?

I am going to be making a hosting site, first starting out with a reseller plan. I was wondering if I should buy both the .com and .net domain, or just buy .com? Like buy webhosting123.com and webhosting123.net (not my company name, just an example). Does having the .net have any benefit to it besides making so other people can't use the same name?

Obviously having the dotcom is much more important than the dotnet, but considering how inexpensive it is to register a domain name you might as well grab the .net. You can also use it as the domain for an emergency site.

You could also use the .net for your nameservers. As phish said, domain registrations are really inexpensive; for less than $20 you can have both and not have to worry about someone else snatching up the other one.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Have to think about it from this point of view...

The typical consumer tries the dotCOM first and so if you do not get the dotCOM and someone else does, you will lose out.

The dotNET can be used for extra purposes as stated above.

I would recommend buying both as well.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Get as many domain extenstions as you can. Traffic will always flow up to the .com, from the .net, so I would never brand a .net, or a .org etc. Always brand the .com, and own the .net and .org, if you can.

I would like to recommand both domains as well.

In my case I have both the .com and .net variations of my company name. I use the .net for the nameservers and as well I use the .net as a secondary location on a seperate server therefore doubling chances of being spidered or found by surfers.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

The cost for both names is also tax deductable ...
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

Yes, I recommend to buy both domains .com and .net
    we also bought *example* http://www.webhosting123*****.com

just incase....

=)

one more suggestion why you should get both .com and .net. If you have just one or the other, another company can take whichever you don't have. If you customers accidentaly put the wrong address in and see that this other person has better prices, they may just be inclined to switch. For only $8.88/year (or whatever you pay) it's definitely worth getting both.

Agree, register both .com and .net

I also agree register both of them
    John Heslop

Register the .com, .org and .net if you can. I wish we would have years ago.

<<Modified By Mods to make it less domain specific:>>

For example computer.com, we also would also register computer.net, and computers.com/.net. (plural) Register anything that you thing people may confuse with you, if someone else were to get it.

-Josh
    Last edited by XTStrike; 04-07-2004 at 05:06 PM.

It's also good practice for the event you really make your brand big and successful. You don't want some punk coming in and registering the .net (or .com) and passing off and creaming off your potential customer base.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Originally posted by sprintserve
    It's also good practice for the event you really make your brand big and successful. You don't want some punk coming in and registering the .net (or .com) and passing off and creaming off your potential customer base.
    There are laws against doing that. But still, that doesn't mean it won't be worth the legal hassle. You should, at the least, register both .com/.net and, like has been previously mentioned, anything that is similar that people might think of.

While we're on the subject, if a speculator emails you an offer for a domain "misleadingly similar" to yours, you can always file a UDRP (it costs around $1000-$1500). The offer shows bad faith, and assuming they don't have a legitimate interest in the domain, ICANN will have the domain name transferred to you.

It sends a very scary message to other potential speculators.

Never buy a copycat domain for more than $1500. At that point, it's often worth it to just take the matter to ICANN.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

well they may not offer you the domain.. they may just redirect it to their own site and cream your customer base off. Or set up a new site at that address.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |