Is there anything free left?

Back a few years ago, the last time that I was interested in starting up a site, free web hosting was practically crammed down your throat, and out of those free hosts you could find 1 or 2 places that actually didnt advertise.

Are there any places like that anymore? Free sites, no advertising? I don't care how much web space... just a spot with a hopefully simple url.

http://www.freewebspace.net Good luck. If they don't advertise how are they supposed to pay for their stuff.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

why would anyone want free hosting nowadays?
    There's plenty of excellent hosts out there that can host your site for under $5/month
    Solid-Hosting.net - affordable multiple domain hosting solutions
    Reliability and Customer Service are our focus!

EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network.

Simple, I don't want to put money down for a site when I'm not sure how well the site will do. And I hate ads.

If the site goes well, I get a domain and a good host. If not, nothing was lost. Thanks for the links.

I don't see why you would think anyone would host you free of charge without any sort of advertisements. Yes, you might find the occasional hobby host - but he/she will only stay in business for a couple months.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Hey, a LOT of people are hosting under their own private domains. Even I am. Just gotta follow their rules. Look around here:

http://www.pick-me.net/

i have to agree that what you pay is what you get. Free web hosting has to find its source of finance in one way. Can't really blame them for puting a banner in your page just to sustain their service.

I would think (for hangar18) that there are many web host includes me which provide free trial services for you to settle down with your domain and setting up your website. There are times whereby the free trial can last as long as 3 months. I think that should provide you with a good time span to test one's service.

If you are thinking of building up an expected traffic, i would think 3 month should make you have a feel about whether you had a good marketing campaign. Probably you should get more pointers on marketing instead of web hosting in such a case.

Good luck in making your own site a success.

http://www.portland.co.uk
    uk based, but offer free domain hosting
    been around for years, not going anywhere soon
    very odd business model... but you get free hosting

Not very odd at all... all you get is 15mb of space and 100MB of data transfer per month. They make their profit from the upgrades... Plus they get their name mentioned for free, like right now.

Now that's odd IMHO. However, portland has been in this business for quite some time now. How old is that other company?

www.nexuswebs.net -- it's what i'd use for a starter site.
    Gone.