This is a How-To for the installation of Sysstat Utilities which includes the "sar" command that is used to display your load average for the day.

The settings below are designed for recording load averages every 10 minutes. You can change the cron file to the settings you wish, but they are preset here for every 10 minutes.

This utility was installed on RHEL 3.0 Servers. I would assume it would work for most other RH servers as well (versions 7.3+)

As a text editor I used "vi" but you may use any text editor you wish.

Login to your server through SSH and login as root or su to the root user.

First just create a directory, or use one that you use to download temporary files.

1. cd /root/download

2. wget

3. rpm -ivh sysstat-5.0.2-1.i386.rpm

4. cd /etc/cron.d

5. vi sysstat

6. Press the key "i" to insert text, and paste the Text below.

# run system activity accounting tool every 10 minutes
*/10 * * * * root /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1 1
# generate a daily summary of process accounting at 23:53
53 23 * * * root /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -A

7. Once you have done that, press Esc, then press the : key. (That means shift semi-colon/colon key). Then type in wq and press enter.

8. chmod 755 sysstat

And thats it, your done. Wait about an hour and it will start recording the load.

To look at your load averages. Type in: sar
Or "sar -q" produces a better layout. It will show the loads recorded every ten minutes since midnight the night before. And then it will show your day's average at the very bottom.

Use "sar -q" anywhere in the prompt to see your load average for the day.

The website for sysstat utilities and the creators of "sar" is:
That is where I obtained the download links. So if it changes, that URL would be the place to go.