Thread: whois.sc

whois.sc

how do i block whois.sc from crawling our whois data and web site? they want $20 NOT to do this. it's not as if we asked them to.

Any whois service will show your data, not just whois.sc. Most(if not all) domain registrars have some sort of service to make your info private.

if it was necessary add a key image
    Like tucows.com or snapnames.com

the key image code is an image that cannot be read by a machine. It prevents automated programs from requesting access to information.

I'm not sure if their spider uses the standard robot protocols, but if so you could try something like here: http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/norobots.html

Looking through my logs it seems it's user agent is: SurveyBot/2.3 (Whois Source)

Also another way is to just ban it's host.

It connected to my site through varios ips (64.246.165.170, 64.246.165.210) but the host was always www.whois.sc - so you could just block the hostname.

Btw, this will only stop them from crawling your site - It wont block your whois info - If you want that - do what 3cg suggested.
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.