PHP, Howto open a file on external server?

I have this script wich works fine on other servers. But recently I changed webhoster, and it's not working there. I also found out that they run php safe mode on their servers. So maybe that is the problem. Here is the script:

//if($contents = join ('', file ('URL TO SITE'))){

if($contents = join ('', file ('URL TO SITE')))

print "<font size=1 face=\"verdana\" color=\"#A2A2A2\">$substring</font>\n";

print "<font size=1 face=\"verdana\" color=\"#A2A2A2\">No weather information available.</font>\n";

I asked them what might be wrong. They said I cannot open a file on a external server. So has this something to do with safe mode? Is there any way around this problem. Maybe I can change some lines in it?

Hope some of you out there can help

London, UK
    Some more info would be useful, what's the exact error you're getting, and the url you're trying to open?

Warning: file(" nd&SubTitle=Denmark&SubTitle=Iceland&T=METAR%A0Nordic%A0countries&Frequency=30") - No such file or directory in...

Warning: Bad arguments to join() in....

if($contents = join ('', file (' nd&SubTitle=Denmark&SubTitle=Iceland&T=METAR%A0Nordic%A0countries&Frequency=30')))

I can't post full url adresses before I've posted 5 posts in this add htt....&ww... in front of those url's