Bad experience with Servermatrix/ThePlanet

First, what is the difference between servermatrix and theplanet? I signed up for servermatrix and all emails, support, and information had theplanet.com all over it and no mention of servermatrix at all. Their sites seem to be totally different.

That being said. I have had the worst experience with severmatrix/theplanet or whoever they are. My server is down right now and they don't know how to fix it. My only option is to do an OS reload which will cost me $75. This isn't even the first time it's been down this long.

I had to find my own admin to look into the problem, but he can't do much cause right now only they can access the server. So he has been giving them instructions on what to do. heh!

I see people always praising their support on these forums and I'm wondering if they have even experienced it, cause I don't agree at all. They only support I ever receive is when something goes wrong all they do is reboot the server. Every single ticket I have submitted about problems with the server (there's been a lot) they immediately reboot like it's windows95.

They have moved me to a new server once because their hardware failed and even that took me like 30 tickets and a week of downtime. It's been the worst experience of all the virtual amd dedicated hosting providers I have used (for about 4 1/2 years).

Maybe it's because I bought one of their cheaper packages and they cater more to the higher paying customers. Just a guess, cause I don't see the great support people on these forums are talking about.

Info on me. I'm not a hosting provider. I run one major site that consumes about 150gb/month and some small personal sites that do no traffic. My site only makes money in advertising to pay for the server, but the amount of downtime it is starting to come out of my pocket.

Right now I'm looking around for a new provider and have no idea where to go that has comparable packages and pricing.

thePlanet is the high end of the two, SM is the budget end. But they both share the same techs so support issues should be the same I would think.

As far as "great support" you have heard about on these forums. I would say do a search and you will see a fair share of unhappy customers as well, Support being the biggest problem.

Support tickets are usually not the way to get anything resolved. I would call them if possible and talk to someone live. You will get better service that way.

Often times companies will offer service under different brandings to tap into two different markets even though both services are really the same. This is very commonly done. What is your buget when looking for a new dedicated host?

Originally posted by liquidjoel
    Often times companies will offer service under different brandings to tap into two different markets even though both services are really the same. This is very commonly done. What is your buget when looking for a new dedicated host?
    Thanks for the reply. Not looking to turn this thread into a request for quotes or services, but my budget is in the $80-120/mo range. I know it's hard to expect great service at that price, but I expected a lot better than I have recieved.

About the 2 different names under one company. This was more of a curiousity question and not a complaint. Although they should maybe let the customer know this, cause I was kind of confused when signing up for servermatrix and getting all the info and setup instructions from theplanet.

Checkout Sentris.com. I remmeber seeing servers with them that start at only $40 per month. I do not know how much bandwidth they give, but they are cheap and I have heard good things about them.

Joel

Right now www.hostrino.com are giving away 2.8 HT Dual 120 HDD server with 2G RAM for $59 mo/

If I had a Paypal account... :-(

2 out of the three boxes that i had at SM/Planet supposedly had the elf virus?

anyone else occur the same problem?

Originally posted by Imago
    Right now www.hostrino.com are giving away 2.8 HT Dual 120 HDD server with 2G RAM for $59 mo/

While I require a cheap dedicated solution, this falls in the too good to be true categorey. Also, from what I see, they offer no support at all. Combined with the fact they only except paypal.

I did ARIN whois and traceroute on hostrino.com and ironically enough it pointed to theplanet.com

They are overseas. How can they be TP/SMatrix? Look at the test file ip, on about us. Trace that/

Well, they have a server with SM, and really hold an office in HK. For the rest of the money, you can pay a company to manage your server and install cPanel as a part of their managerial package.

Wow! Have checked them out, really good value, if you don't need anything extra. No CP and just 1 IP.

But they are so new. I think I will wait awhile. Has anyone use their service?

No, this is their first rack or cabinet, whatever it is with 16 servers. They started on Jan 1st, 2004

I expected this to happen in September, but it happened now...

Well whomever they are it doesn't matter, to me anyways. I started this thread concerning my experiences with servermatrix. I was hoping it wouldn't turn into a request thread, but thanks for the suggestions.

Originally posted by Imago

Somethings not right with that picture... I would be very hesitant to drop money on that company.. I mean come on $59 per month? Not possible.

about hostrino i think it is owned by lgwong ? right , i saw that in a post in the offer forum

he is the owner of a forum with more than 20000 members and mostly more than 200 people online most of the time and he is a person who can be trusted , i had been a moderator of his forum for around 6 months and from what i can say he is a honest person and well everyone there trust him but he is not known that much in this forum .

if i need a server to backup the data of my main site on i will get it from him

edited to add: it is infact owned by lgwong the owner of that forum , i just confirmed that from him.

hostrino.com is located in a servermatrix server. We need that server because we want their floodguard. One of my site has been a target of a heavy DDoS attack previously. Secondly, I could get a support forum up and running in case my data center
    went down.

Questions:

1. Why are you using a hotmail address for a business?

2. Why does the title (the HTML title tag) of your website say "Corporate Template"?

3. Why can't you implement your own DOS protection in your servers if you are running your own rack with your own equipment, why use Servermatrix?

It all looks rather hasty and unprofessional.
    Chris at TDMWeb.com
    Windows & Linux hosting and fully managed dedicated servers with great customer service!
    UK-based but serving the world...

1. that hotmail is not a business contact, is my MSN passport id. Our email contact is support@hostrino.com

2. A careless / lazy mistake when modifying the templates.

3. I don't think we could afford floodguard with just a full rack. Probably you need to be a moderate size data center to install one.

This is an offtopic here, so please discuss hostrino here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=256430