Report Spammer to Law Enforcement

Good Morning,

A couple days ago I had a user signup for hosting services through me, and yesterday evening I had a surge in server resources, but was unable to catch what caused it until the second time it happened. Then I saw a certain user was running hundreds of the same CGI script. Upon investigation I found this user had one of the most unique spamming scripts I have ever seen, and .txt files with thousands upon thousands of email addresses.

Since this client happens to be within the US, I would like to report this to the proper law enforcement agency, but don't know which one that would be. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tim

report it to your local authorities, and tell them if they can't help you, that you would greatly appreciate them guiding you in the direction of the appropriate dept, or agency.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

That should be interesting... The last time I contacted the local PD it was over internet credit card theft. No one had ever taken a report on that and at first they thought they didn't even need to make a report on that.

Thanks,
    Tim

I am sure it is posted all over here, but could someone please give me the address to the US Spam Laws so when I do file the report I can list specific things instead of something general.

Thanks,
    Tim

I'll look that up, in case someone doesn't post it before me
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

If the person's in Europe, give these guys a call/e-mail:

http://www.interpol.int/

They'll be able to help you.

Originally posted by edesignway
    I am sure it is posted all over here, but could someone please give me the address to the US Spam Laws
    http://spamlaws.com

Best of luck.

-B
    iptables -I INPUT -s 64.88.128.0/19 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -s 66.111.192.0/18 -j DROP
    iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

It it wasn't a stolen card and the user is legit, you can always send them a bill. You should have something in your TOS concerning a fee for spammers. Send them a bill for what they've sent....The spam did cost you money in both resources and bandwith, and you have a right to bill them and collect on that in court if they refuse to pay.

Re: Report Spammer to Law Enforcement

Originally posted by edesignway
    Good Morning,

A couple days ago I had a user signup for hosting services through me, and yesterday evening I had a surge in server resources, but was unable to catch what caused it until the second time it happened. Then I saw a certain user was running hundreds of the same CGI script. Upon investigation I found this user had one of the most unique spamming scripts I have ever seen, and .txt files with thousands upon thousands of email addresses.

Since this client happens to be within the US, I would like to report this to the proper law enforcement agency, but don't know which one that would be. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Good luck on that one. Once we reported a rash of fraud orders to the local Police Dept and they had to no idea if it was their responsiblity to pursue the case. They could not grasp the concept of web hosting much less taking credit cards online. We went as far as meeting with the FBI which happens to be across the street from our office and they took a report and nothing ever became of it. The same thing happended when we caught a company running a DDOS attack against our network - They took a report and that was the end of it. There was never a follow up from the FBI and we were never assigned a case number so I guess it was not important enough to address.
    We were left with the feeling that unless you are a big web site like yahoo.com, microsoft.com or the like you won't get any action.

Im not trying to be rude, but dont you think law enforcement has better things to do then hunt down spammers. With all the crimes being commited, surely unsolicted email has to be on the bottom of the list. I would add a clause to your aup/tos that really hits spammers where it hurts, the wallet.

I am wondering why you have not simply disabled his account first off. Do you not have anything in you TOS/AUP about spam? You can use that clause to disable his account. That is a first step in fighting spam.

As for the reporting of the spammer, as spam falls under USA federal laws, you have to report to the FBI. It is then up to them what action is taken against the spammer. Never know, he might have a Porche Boxster he would also like to see auctioned off as was recently done by AOL.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

There are departments in some law enforcement offices that deal specifically in internet crimes. In my book, if the time was taken to make something illegal, then there's time to pursue the alleged spammer.

I do have something regarding this in my AUP and his account has been terminated. But because of the advanced nature of this spammer I feel this one needs more then just a boot off the server. It's a shame that I can't file this under the Ohio laws as it is very specific, but after reading through spamlaws.com it does appear I will need to contact the local FBI office regarding this matter as the state the server is located does not have anything on the books.