One-Time Upgrades

I haven't seen too many dedicated server providers offer a one-time fee for upgrade in hardware: like adding another processor, memory, etc. Is this rare in the dedicated industry and should I consider colo?

I know I can use the host quote feature of WHT: I'm not looking for service now, this is just research

This is not rare at all. Many dedicated server companies offer additional fee's for upgrades. Some offer one-time charges, while others offer monthly price additions to your current service.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

I know upgrades are common, but I don't like the idea of continually paying off an upgrade. If I consider dedicated hosting in the future, it will just be with companies that offer a one-time fee for upgrades.

Good idea.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

Upgrades are a way that dedicated hosting companies make a lot of extra money without having to support anymore customers or servers. For example, a dedicated hosting company may offer an additional IDE Hard Drive for an extra $30 per month. The actual cost for the drive may run them only $50. This means that they are just pocketing the rest for not doing anything extra for you after the second month. If you plan on running anything other than what the package is, I would suggest considering colocation. It may be cheaper for you on the long run. When you look at the cost of the server, and upgrades, consider the cost to opperate it for a year.

Joel

That's exactly what I was thinking Joel, thanks for confirming that I'm not entirely crazy

Although a server will be more up front I'll probably save a fair amount in the long run.

Yes you will save more and its a difficult route. Be extremely careful of who you choose to colocate with as I learned the hard way. Sign as many contracts as possible. Also note with colocation you are generally responsible for your hardware replacement parts.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

I know upgrades are common, but I don't like the idea of continually paying off an upgrade. If I consider dedicated hosting in the future, it will just be with companies that offer a one-time fee for upgrades.
    Good day,
    Not many providers out there offer one time upgrade fee for additional hardware.

Anyways, here are some providers who accept one time upgrade fee:
    www.gnax.com
    www.cyberwurx.com

Thanks.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

Be a little bit Buddhist and don't forget everything is impermanent. Especially the mo/ prices for a server. Save your money and buy a new server configuration in September.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Most web hosts offer budget prices for standard configuration knowing that you would purchase options and that is when they start making money. Like printers, you could purchase a printer for peanuts but the profit comes from selling ink cartridges. If you went to the refill solution, it will hurt the company's bottomline.

The other reason why the cost of the add-ons is so high is because they need to stock replacement for as long as you maintain the hardware. If for some reason, you maintain the server for 10 years, they will have to replace the component for you even if it is phased out.

Colocation is an option but doing so would mean that you are responsible for component replacement and any services on the machine. Some may charge you for using their stock of replacement or they may require you to go down to the datacenter and do the replacement yourself. It also locks you in to a specific hardware and you do not have as much freedom to move on to a better hardware without being stuck with an old hardware.

Check the cost of colocation as some would offer it at a higher cost to dedicated hosting.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions