Exclamation NHICOLO.COM - Pulled the plug/Kicked Out

NHICOLO.COM - Pulled the plug/Kicked Out

NHI COLOCATION
    1200 W 7th Ave Suite L1-130
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    US
    1-877-322-5138
    I am surprised that there is no mention of NHI COLO here.
    They were kicked out from the Data Center located downtown
    Los Angeles, CA (Clear Blue).

They pulled the plug and massive amounts of dedicated server
    clients along with some major accounts. That includes the
    outsource bandwidth they had leased out to other major cages
    throughout the facility. Rumor from staff has it that big
    paying clients were given a short notice and smaller cages
    and other bandwidth users from within or other cages were
    suddenly unplugged.

Many clients were looking for them downtown LA to give them
    some whip-as* but unfortunately there were no where to be found.
    Their entire site-operation was completely empty except a switch
    or two. Every time someone would try to check in and mention that
    were from NHI or doing business with them were not allowed in,
    unless you were one of the many victims of being left hanging.

I just had a 1U with someone that was getting bandwidth from them,
    along with many others. I guess they couldn't afford the rent and
    another rumor has it that whatever they had at the 1200 block
    downtown LA was just/pure 'party money'.

I just hope that clients will go ahead and take some legal
    action against them. I do not believe they file for bankruptcy
    because their other data center is still up, as far I know.

This happen about 2-3 days ago. I just think that whatever they
    did, they did it in a very 'cowardly' way. Very sneaky and not
    even a 24 hour notice. Like said previously, people were indeed
    looking for them downtown and asking everyone walking around of
    any news and where they can be found.

So for the rest of you, that might know additional information
    please comment, for the other ones that might consider NHI stay
    away. You can go ahead and do your own research by calling the
    building management at the above address and confirm what I just
    said. They ARE OUT.

Seems that the provider I am using recently switched to a flavor
    of L3 and Verio.

P.S. Another funny thing is InterNap here is so expensive (per/mb)
    that they say 24/7 up time on their business card. They are so
    highly thought of down here but the ones that are wise they do
    detect their monthly downtime.

We have a cage at 1200 7th (Garland Building) and one of our lines was to NHI. My assumption is that we were a 'small customer' buying only about 25Mbps and had no prior notice except when trying to get support the days before I was told, everyone was 'very busy and swamped with a migration' ..

I really like the guys there that we worked with and am not sure how or why this happened. If they knew it was coming, there should have been some moral obligation as well as fair business practice to let customers know. We had several non-multihomed customers on their line with combined lost revenues of over $10k, and of course 1st of the month being one of the most busy.

Some customers knew it was coming and had moved 1-3 days before the event, but 99% that were at 1200 did not have any prior notice.
    OneStop Network - http://onestop.net
    G. Tyler Koblasa <[email protected]> - AIM: gtylerk | ICQ: 42813237 MSN: [email protected] | Yahoo: koblasa
    'Providing nationwide colo, dedicated and shared hosting since 1996.'

Exclamation NHI COLO (NHICOLO) Taking Responsibility

The cage I was in they were using about 60 MB or more.
    They were streaming, video, TV, radio and and some hosting.

They conducted business very unprofessionally. I strongly
    believe that someone should be held responsible for what
    they did. I did not loose much, hardly anything, but I
    know many lost a lot of money. I am considering 1and1
    right now as a backup, but I ran into a bottle-neck with
    them as well.
    Last edited by EnigmaBiz; 04-04-2004 at 04:07 AM.

Yes, it seems I was a victim of this incident as well, although indirectly. Our servers were in One Wilshire with NHI, but we received connection via that building, so ours went down for a few hours. We are now being rerouted through Aleron. They're promising a GigE to Level3 and Global Crossings up Monday-Wednesday of this upcoming week. Whether or not I should stay with them or not I'm yet to decide - but it sounds good to get some, or most, of my equipment out of there.

The two main questions I have here are:

Will they go under in One Wilshire as well, due to lost customers, etc?

Why exactly did they get kicked out of ClearBlue?

Anyone who can provide any information, it is appreciated.

Thanks.

Rumor from different people working in or around the Garland Building is as follows:

1. There was a leak from a planter above the NHI cage that leaked and caused damage to 1 or more pieces of NHI routing equipment. 1 or more routers were destroyed.

2. NHI requested NaviSite (site manager) to compensate for the destroyed equipment. NaviSite refused to pay and referred it to the building, Morlin Management.

3. NHI demanded payment for the destroyed equipment and refused to pay several months of NaviSite's invoices until compensation was issued for the destroyed equipment.

4. NaviSite heard that NHI was planning to move out and entirely vacate the 1200 facility and move services and customers to 530 6th. At this point they pulled the plug before the move could be completed so that they were not left hanging to collect a large debt of probably (guessing) $30-100k.

==

- some customers had prior notice that there was a high chance of service interruption coming and were moving equipment over to 530 in a rushed fashion as early as Tuesday

- most customers at 1200 that could not have been easily moved over to 530 were not notified, us being one of them as we had a cross connect

- NHI staff was performing a 'migration' of all critical equipment and servers over to 530 days before the shutoff

==

Again, the above is what I heard from multiple sources and compiled. There is a high chance that some of the above is untrue but I am quoting what I have heard. I was and have been very fond of the NHI team until now but find it impossible to depend upon their services. Looking forward, we have no option but to move, as our customers demand a change as they have combined losses of at least $10k in the downtime of 8 hours until we could establish alternate service.

Hopefully this sheds some light what happened to others still in the dark.
    G. Tyler Koblasa <[email protected]> - AIM: gtylerk | ICQ: 42813237 MSN: [email protected] | Yahoo: koblasa

Last note I would like to make is that NHI was very helpful dealing with the emergency and assisted us to the highest degree moving some equipment temporarily over to their 530 facility as we were unable to renumber some reseller servers and this was the quickest way to get some customers back online. We more than appreciated and greatly valued their assistance getting service back online in their other facility vs. being entirely dead. I believe they are a good company to work with but made a catastrophic management error.

10K in 8 hours? Only a few things can generate that amount of revenue, and they can certainly afford better connectivity than a singlehomed nhicolo connection, if they are willing to put their business on the line to save a few bucks thats their loss....well 10k loss now if they arent blowing smoke.

This was combined through about a dozen clients some of which the 1st of the month is the busiest sales day and most sales are generated. We were under the impression and told our service was multihomed and had left the routing up to NHI. Since then are investing Layer 3 equipment and have an app in for our AS. Lesson learned, the hard way.

They have planters in their datacenter?

Upstairs in the lobby

An upstairs lobby? Did this not occur to them?

Or every single provider in the 1200 building, all of which are on underground floors?

Originally posted by DeathNova
    They have planters in their datacenter?
    I guess they had a hard time anticipating the possible problematic outcomes of putting planters above a datacenter.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

Originally posted by benoitb
    I guess they had a hard time anticipating the possible problematic outcomes of putting planters above a datacenter.
    Something Garland Building management will be held accountable for if the story is true. But isn't this what insurance is for?

16. I was one of the NHI customers that had to relocate to the 530 facility in a hurry. Had a full cabin moved in 2 hours.

Have to agree with gTyler in that NHI was very helpful in the move but the situation obviouslsy did not benefit anyone and I serioursly doubt NHI would get into such a dispute over 1 or 2 routers. .

NHI are manned by smart guys so it would be stupid to abandon customers without weighing the cost trade-off. It was obviously decided that the potential lost future revenue/customers due to the PR/mangement snafu does not out weigh the cost of trying to make make amends with whatever serious disagreement they had with NaviSite.

Basically, I don't think anyone was happy but then again crap happens even to good people. Besides, it doesn't take a genius to know why NHI was able to under-cut a lot of the competitors. NHI takes more risk in their infrastructure and that risk pipelines down to us, the customer. Likewise, we reap the benefits in lower cost. I'm a happy camper thus far. Could I be happier? Sure but then again I would also have to pay a lot more. For a cheap *** like myself, NHI is good fit manned by good people.