Networking questions...

I'm thinking about moving from reselling dedicated servers to colo, and I had a few questions about networking...

I'm looking to basically have a backup if my provider's network goes down.

I've been told that I'll need a cross connect to another provider and a router that can support BGP.

When my provider's network is up, the router will need to support 5-10 dedicated servers on my provider's connection of 10 mbps. When my provider's network goes down, I'd like to have the router switch to a backup network running at about 2-3 mbps.

I was wondering if there are any relatively inexpensive routers that could do the job...
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

If u're really on a budget. I recommend you to just use a Single Homed upstream. Cost of running BGP is very high, other than the router, you'll need to pay $300/hour for BGP consultant. And then there's all the fees for route registration, AS Number, IP space... it's just endless.

oh thats right, I forgot thier is only 1 "BGP consultant" in the world and his/her pricing is fixed.....

anyway, back to reality.
    While I do agree that multihoming is quite a lengthy and expensive process, its well worth it in the end. It does require alot of brainpower to make sure its set up properly but the pricing is usually relative to the situation and not fixed by any means.

affhosting, whats your budget?

Well, I'm really only looking at one rack; maybe even half a rack with a relatively small 10 mbps connection. I figure the difference in cost between the halfway decent provider + a 2-3 mbps backup connection and a very good provider is about $200/month. At that rate, I can afford to spend a high three digit number (EG $700 or $800) to set up a router to handle this. Of course, if there's a responsible way of doing this for less, I'd also be interested.

A $4000, or even a $2000 solution probably wouldn't be worth it for having only 10 servers on a single rack. At that rate, I'd probably want to colocate at a facility with a better network.
    Last edited by HostMidwest; 04-04-2004 at 03:35 PM.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

The budegtary figures you've posted both for your router purchase and your "backup connection" don't lead me to believe you'd be better off multi-homing than simply choosing a co-location and transit supplier you have more confidence in.

Not only do you need a router and two BGP-speaking transitors, you also need an AS number from the ARIN ($500), which immediately blows your budget. And while the $300/hr figure someone suggested for hiring someone to setup your BGP-speaking router is certainly not the lowest figure you'll find, I don't see how you can pull all these things together within your budget.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

A $4000, or even a $2000 solution probably wouldn't be worth it for having only 10 servers on a single rack. At that rate, I'd probably want to colocate at a facility with a better network.
    or at least for *some* level of transit redundancy pick a multi-homed supplier, although *you* still have the single upstream, at least then they shoudl have facilities in place that a simple problem with one carrier wont take you down.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

If you colo with a multi-homed supplier, then you shouldn't have to worry too much. Any problems that could cause network downtime would occur in the datacenter, between their border router and your rack.
    Paradox Web Hosting - [email protected]
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com