DBI and DBD modules for mysql

This question is addressed particularly to hosts. Do you find that scripts accessing mysql databases through perl a security risk? I am getting annoyed since I am finding that there are many hosts that I've signed up for that don't have the proper DBI, DBD::mysql modules installed.

Is there a reason why they don't have these modules installed? When I look for a host, included in their plans are scripting languages such as Perl, Python, PHP, and then there's Mysql.. I understand that a lot of people use PHP with mysql, however I prefer to work with perl and would rather not rewrite my perl scripts that I have already written. I really expected that by default that there would be perl support for mysql, but apparently this hasn't been the case for many hosts. Anyone know the reason??

Re: DBI and DBD modules for mysql

Originally posted by hypnus
    Do you find that scripts accessing mysql databases through perl a security risk?
    No.

Is there a reason why they don't have these modules installed?
    The DBI and DBD modules are not installed by default with perl, so newer hosts will probably not have these modules installed, but most hosts will add this for you if you ask.
    Justin Bachus
    BlastHosting, LLC - Professional web hosting at a low price with
    PHP, MySQL, FreeBSD, and more!
    http://www.blasthosting.com

even hosts that have been around for many years still don't have these modules installed... arrrg....

We not only have it installed, but we upgraded Perl DBI when a new version came out.

To me, it does seem odd to only offer PHP with mysql support, and not PERL.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!