Thread: Upgrading to XP

Upgrading to XP

I've been going under steam with Windows 98 SE for a while, but the machine keeps going screwy. Repeatedly I'll have to shut down the machine manually.

I figure on buying the XP upgrade for just under £90.

Is it really worth it, though?

And should I really reformat before installing XP, or is that unnecessary, even if my system is playing up?

I just thought I'd invite comments because I've heard of periodic cases of XP messing with their machines. I would prefer a fairly smooth transistion to a much more stable system.

[Then idly wonders how many "well-intentioned" *nix supporter comments will fill this thread]

Try windows 2000. Very cheap, just as stable, runs on older hardware. Just remember to buy from ebay, not from a store, so you don't support vole.

Hell, I have a copy of win2k I could give you, but it has 'Not for retail or OEM distribution' on the CD =P
    Gone.

I love both 2000 and XP, but there are a few advantages to XP:

1) Better driver support. Many printers and other devices are detected and installed automatically

2) When using Windows Update, I noticed you need to reboot after almost each update on 2000. On XP you only need to for service packs.

3) Small conveniences. Nothing really compelled me to upgrade, but there are little things that just make it nicer.

Either way, I'd highly recommend completely reformatting before you install the OS. It just tends to run more smoothly with less conflict. Good luck!

1) They use the same driver system - pretty much every device in XP will work in 2k with the same drivers

2) Don't use windowsupdate... i never did

3) XP is slower. That is not nicer.

Yes, always reformat. Unless you need IP-over-firewire (to network with macs which have traditionally always been networkable over firewire as well as ethernet), don't bother with XP.
    Gone.

XP is slower? Bah never noticed that. Perhaps... nah no use downgrading now.

Phision do you love your Mac? I'm seriously considering one but I simply don't have the money right now.

Yes, I do

Only problem is (wht-specific - no other forum does this) is that Safari really lags nastily when replying to topics using the full reply to topic screen. It's some runaway javascript I think... so annoying, and iNet won't fix.
    Gone.

xp > all other versions

care to back that up, westcan?
    Gone.

Yes, XP is the best, very user friendly...

You may find this page useful (if not, then amusing): http://www.geocities.com/merijn_bell...w/xpsucks.html
    Gone.

xp has slower boot by about 3 seconds but memory management is good and my stability is through the roof. If something crashes you just kill it from the master processlist. It probably has some extra media stuff I don't bother using too.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

XP's a much better system then 98SE - heck I even recommend the Service Pack 2 RC actually.

XP's a very good, stable, feature rich OS that's a mile ahead of the previous versions. As I've said in the past Windows ME drove to use RedHat on my desktop, while XP brought me back.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

XP is the way to go. 2000 is still good, but as some have pointed out XP has additional features.
    Alvin

for the record windows ME never gave me a single problem it just has sucky memory management..
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by pixel_fenix
    for the record windows ME never gave me a single problem it just has sucky memory management..
    me too i would still be on ME now if it wasnt for the new laptop coming with XP installed.....

but i agree about the memory management issue.

Just a note since I havent seen this mentioned... If you do get the "upgrade" CD, DO NOT FORMAT the drive, as the installation will look for a previous version of windows and if it cant find it, it will nag you about you cant do a full installation with a upgrade CD.

It will give an option to do a upgrade with fresh install.

BTW, I'm using windows 2k and find I can work on it more effectivley than XP. I have nothing but little nagging problems with XP.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Thanks for that - I have no problems installing 98 first - I figured I'd have to with an upgrade anyway.

Actually you won't have to (from experience). When Window's goes looking for a previous install it'll ask if you have a previous version CD. Just stick that in the tray, the install will check it out, then say 'fine'. Stick your XP cd back in and move along.

XP's 'upgrade' CD will also give you the option of reformatting your entire drive and installing a full fresh copy - just like the full version. Not a lot of people know about that.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Greg is right, you can do a fresh install using the Upgrade CD as long as you have an older Windows CD to put in when it asks for one. I highly recommend going this route anyways as you won't have any legacy crud installed.
    Chris Spangler
    chris@thespanglers.net

I'd also format first. When installing Win2k upgrade on my computer, it asked for a full version of windows. I didnt have any full versions (I have 98 and ME upgrades), so I went out and bought Win3.11 on I think 4 3.5" floppies ($4). It works
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."