Anyone @ about $20 per meg besides Cogent?

Hello,

I have a friend that has about a 2Gbps commitment with Cogent, and is almost to full capacity on the two Gig-E lines. He loves Cogent's performance, and most of all price, which is around $20 per meg on this commitment.

He is about to get a few more Gig-Es with Cogent, but I am begging him to get at least one other provider for more redundancy. He says he would, but no one can seem to match the Cogent price.

Is there any other reputable companies that you think can meet Cogent's price of $20 per meg on a 1, 2, or 3 Gbps commitment? The location would be in downtown, Houston, Texas.

Thanks,
    Kyle Leissner

You might want to take a look at XO, HE and Yipes. I think those are the compagnies that could possibly offer that price on a 2gbps commit or so.

I guess you would have to negociate thought

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think HE will work, as they are not in Houston, but Dallas. I think it would cost more than 20 per meg to get metro to dallas and then transit from HE.

I was thinking XO as well.

What about MFN and Wintel, does anyone think they can do it?

I know that besides Cogent, El Paso Networks and Time Warner are in the building. Do you think they would be able to match the Cogent price?

Thanks, Kyle

MFN won't do $20/Mb at any commitment level without ratio obligations that cannot be met by a network heavy on hosting traffic.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Why not give Global Crossing a shot? They can do $25/meg even at lower committments. The other idea to add some quality to the network would be to commit to about 2-3 gig-e's from Level(3), you can get that at about $30/meg if you do some good negotiating.

Level(3) has learned by experience that it's tough to make money off-net at $30/Mb. If you buy transport to their POP or they have an IP router in your location, they may be able to do that deal; but if (3) has to lease dark fiber to haul ethernet frames to your location, you probably won't get $30/Mb.

What your friend really needs to do is look into the cost of fiber from his site to a carrier neutral datacenter with a more diverse carrier selection. Keep in mind the port cost on oc48 interfaces is going to be higher in the short term, but if he is already doing several Gb/sec, it's going to allow him to push more bits over the same fiber he might otherwise use for 1000baseLX.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

I'd definately recommend spending just a little bit more on Abovenet, Global Crossing, or Level(3). I know I've gotten good pricing from all of them on GigE's. Just contact me if you want more info on reps, etc. at those places.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

He's happy with Cogent, so why would he go and spend more for something he doesnt need?

MFN is doing promotion for $25/meg on gigE. This can't be delivered over 2 gigE.

XO wont' go below $30/meg

L3 Directly don't get close to what u're thinking about.

Gblx may get you to $30/meg or so. $25/meg was rumor, but I have proven it to be false (at least at the 1gig commit range).

Hopping from two to five circuits definately seems like an error in judgement?

Wiltel might be able to match Cogent price wise. When I spoke to wiltel (awhile ago and with much lower commits) they were actually less expensive than cogent.

I've seen some issues with Williams over the past few months - mainly overloaded peering points and weird routes due to how they choose their routes (From Dallas to NJ or VA, the route goes out to CA first, but going in from NJ or VA, it'll go in over DC or VA).

I'd rank Cogent better than Williams, at least in TX, and I've had experience with both (in TX).

-Josh

This is true, Wintel might be able to, but I personally think WinTels’ network is not so great. I put the Cogent network way above Wintel when comparing ping times around the US.

I was talking to my friend, and he said he would have to raise his prices double if he got more than one provider. He said this because if he got 2Gbps with Cogent, and 2Gbps with say Wintel, he couldn’t go above over 2Gbps of bandwidth even though he has 4Gbps of bandwidth, because if one of the other providers went down, the 2Gbps backup wouldn’t be able to handle the over 2Gbps of traffic, does this make sense?

I was thinking, what if he just got burstable Gig-e lines from a few different providers, and unitized his network where it only uses these burstable lines if Cogent goes down? How many Mbps do you usually have to commit to get a burstable Gig-e connection with providers?

Thanks,
    Kyle

well depending on overage rates, he can probably just get 100-200mbps on a gige port and be able to burst when needed and if goes over his commit on 95% its cheaper anyways (as long as he isnt hitting near 1gbps constantly)

HE.Net will do $20/meg on Gig-E commit ($20,000) for 1000mbps of HE over FastE anywhere at a pop including in NY at Telehouse and at Level3 on 8th
    Webby Enterprises LLC
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Orlando, FL and Saint Louis, MO
    In the business since 1997!

I hope 1000mpbs of HE is being delivered over GigE and not FastE
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Sorry thats what 7a will do to a guy. Its Gig-E copper not FastE for the 100mbps for $20k
    Webby Enterprises LLC
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated and Colo from Orlando, FL and Saint Louis, MO

Out of Chicago I don't even think HE could push a full GigE, last I checked they had 2 OC-12's out and no transit...
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

at the gig level I am 95% sure I could get you UUNET and 100% sure I can get you HE for $20\mbps
    Best Wishes,

Blake L. Smith - [email protected]
    XtremeBandwidth.com, Inc. - Wholesale Tier1 Bandwidth!

MCI at $20/mbps?

forward me some information on a gige then in the NY/NJ area.

lol UUNET for $20/mbps ... maybey in 20 years.

20/meg may happen,, but it's going to be thru a reseller for sure...and sometimes resellers have their problems, but multihoming it into a blend should be fine.

Originally posted by webtech
    HE.Net will do $20/meg on Gig-E commit ($20,000) for 1000mbps of HE over FastE anywhere at a pop including in NY at Telehouse and at Level3 on 8th
    Actually I'm pretty sure HE is no longer doing the $20k price on the GigE. I think their minimum now is $22k for a GigE :-(.
    Sitelutions: www.sitelutions.com -- Reliable Hosting, Low-Cost Domains, Dynamic DNS
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.: www.inforelay.com
    Bulk Bandwidth Pricing, Unmetered Servers, Unbelievable Affordability -- Locations in: Ashburn, Los Angeles, Chicago, Reston, San Jose, Dallas, New York, Washington, DC.

Rusty, just talked to a rep, HE.Net is $20k on Gig-E
    Webby Enterprises LLC

Just a note from the offical He.net rep here. We did lower pricing back down to $20K on a full gig as of Wed. :-)
    And all of our pops now have at least enough capacity to sell over 1Gbps.

Reid
    -Reid