Thread: Question

I am starting a web hosting company and have been lurking here for months, picking up interesting little tips here and there. The one thing that i don't really get though is everybodys insistance that you start by renting dedicated servers from another hosting company. I have a good chunk of start up flow and really, really want to run my own servers. My questions are as follows.

1. is everybody here using a dedicated server from somebody else?

2. When deciding on your connection are you only stuck with local options, i.e. local cable companies?

3. Whats the minimum connection you can use to start? i.e. get a cable modem and XXX up/XXX down

3. if you started running your own show, how did you go about it and did it work out ok?

Liverpool, England, UK.
    I have 2Mbps SDSL (2048Kbps Symmetric) and I would not run too much on that, maybe a ShoutCast server, but never a web server, especially for the price the connection costs me.

Id recommend you forget about a cable modem straight away as the DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1 and DAVIC cable formats are not very good at uploading. You will probably have either a 128Kbps, 256Kbps or 384Kbps upload - nowhere near enough for a web server.

Get a dedicated server, unless you want to pay a lot of money on your own leased lines etc... - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002! & - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

1 - Not everyone is using. There are a lot of people who use co-location(read 2) for their hosting.

2 - Dedicated makes the perfect option for a lot of people just because of lcoation. Where you live is very key to whether or not you can really do all the server management yourself. If you dont live within a few miles of a datacenter, then using co-location can cause problems if you need things they dont provide(hardware replacement,remote hands for anything really). Of course you can ship servers around and have them perform the maintenance, but it isnt free. You also have the nice option that you do not own the equipment and if something fails they will fix it. They own the box they fix it.

3 - Hosting a web server on your cable modem isnt the best option. Most of the time its against their TOS. Some of them sell business accounts which are fine, but I work for one and I would never use it to offer hosting. To be able to offer hosting you really need a strong connection. Most of the time you couldnt afford to pay for those types. Also with home-run connections you arent the closest thing to NAPs(network access points), hitting 30 routers on the way through your ISP isnt always going to be a fun ride for customers.

3 ... b? - I dont run a web hosting company. Wont be the best to answer this, however I have done a few things(working on a new one now) as far as working with co-location. Running gaming servers for the most part. Started out with something small (1U of rack space) and fiddled around a couple months until my money ran out. Right now(couple weeks until equipment arrives) I am working with the same colo company here in my city I have used before. Worked out great. I know for my use it was more personal, just wanting to play around a bit with really fast connections, as opposed to running a business. So as I said not the best to answer this one or any really of these questions, but cant drop the chance to ramble.......

Side note: if part of your chunk of change is burning a hole in your pocket send me some please! :p

edited : can not spell, still cant.
    Last edited by Cope; 04-03-2004 at 11:23 AM.

ok let me begin my response by saying that i am a developer and am not even allowed to touch the servers at work. I understand alot more then the average user about them but nowhere near that of a network admin. I really want to make my money designing intranets etc for people but the hosting would be income on the slow months. So if i seem like im not understanding something please feel free to correct.

Ok lets say you had a client with a site that was 5 pages of 1mb each (total of 5 mbs) big yea i know but im shooting for easy math =)

each week a visitor requests one of her pages 1024 times

thats 1G of transfer every week, correct?

if 1024 people request a page at the same time, thats 1 gig/up?
    it makes sense i suppose but does it ever happen, even to the big boys?

if i had a t1 and a cable modem could i do it? maybe even throw in 3 nics, attatch the t1 to one, network to 1 and another local companies dsl as a back up? i think i can also get as much as 3mbps up with them w/o a t1 line (1.5 down). heck the local dsl offering is 1.5 up and 846 down.

I am going after my local market to provide on-site support (most on-site stuff is their programs and see above about me being a developer) and i don't think most of them will be anywhere near as active as any single given page in amazon, however that's no excuse for me not to be there for them if they are. Co Location would be a great alternative but the cows around here all run lawncare business', not datacenters =(

P.S. For the purpose of this discussion let's pretend tos isnt a factor because well, it isn't. It's just the technical/ethical aspects i care about =) Also thanks for the replies

If 1024 people request a 1 MB page of hers at the same time, you're liable to crash the server.

Assuming the requests get filled in one second however, that would take about 1GB*8b/B*1/(1 second)= 8Gbps.

Assuming you have "nice" bandwidth needs- no spikes or anything, 1.5 mbps would be able to handle a 100-150 gb/month transfer website. However, it doesn't make a lot of economic sense. A T1 line costs around $1000/month; hosting your site with a dedicated server provider costs around $50-$200/month.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner. you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

OK Thanks again for your replies

I would start out and get my feet wet using "rented" server...
    something semi managed untill you get a better feel for srv admin duties and hosting needs.

Or hire a srv admin to help you out.(maybe you are one but trying to run a server from your home cable network will just get ya hacked and your customers whacked)