vanity dns (outsource DNS solution)

Conside to outsource DNS solution, I found
    UltraDNS, Zoneedit, EasyDNS to be the most common stable solutions available.
    Recently, I found dnsmadeeasy and they can provide the Vanity at very low cost.

Anybody has experiences to their vanti dns, fully complience to RFC, and worldwide TLD dns?

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/s0306/res...html#vanitydns

there is also powerdns.com

never tried any of them though.

small question what does Vanity really mean here ?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by Bashar
    small question what does Vanity really mean here ? [/B]
    Vanity DNS for DNS Made Easy means that you just register your name servers to our IPs and you tell your registrar to use your name servers. So on the whois information it will show your own name servers.
    Very easy to do but many companies charge for this for some reason.

Here is the step by step tutorial for DNS Made Easy.
    http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/s0306/tuts/vanitydns.html

ah i see.

i do it all the time and i never knew its called vanity

Thanks
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Well, to the best of my knowledge that is what most companies call vanity but as you know there still can be many more options to make it "truly" vanity. Such as assigning extra IP to the name servers and assigning reverse DNS. You can also modiy the SOA record so the information looks matching to the vanity name servers.

But I don't know of any company that does this (at least not for a pretty large fee). Anybody else know of any?

Hi Tiggee,

I was about to signo n with DNS Made Easy, can you tell me, so IF I sign on to use your servers, and using vanity to cover the dns servers under my domain name. Reverse DNS should be handled where? via dnsmadeeasy? or via my hosting servers?

Basically I'm using you guys to do DNS failover between 2 different hosting accounts for email purposes and reading this thread made me reaslize that reverse dns is "tres importante"

Thanks,

As tiggee pointed out, vanity dns will save the IPs needed for setting up nameservers. They also claimed its RFC complient.

So I assume by using their vanity dns, it legal to have several NS point to a IP.

Does this work well for all TLD, like .de, .jp, .uk beside the .com/.net.org?

Do most DNS/ISPs setup okay to accept this?

Thanks

it works for any TLD even if you setup a subdomain and point it to multi NSs

depends on the ISP really if they accept or deny this.