Simple DSL Line?

How much should a basic DSL line be able to handle up/down? Would it be enough to handle a few game servers adding up to around 150-200 people?

Basic dsl is like 25KB Up and 150KB down. Thats the basic line. Hard to say what you have or talkin about. A basic whould hold maybe 6-7 Slots and lag after. On Counter Strike or something like that. Less slots with others.

Re: Simple DSL Line?

Originally posted by mikeeyyman
    How much should a basic DSL line be able to handle up/down? Would it be enough to handle a few game servers adding up to around 150-200 people?
    1 sec... HAHAHAHAHA . Man DSL should hold max of 10 people.

A max of 10?

Are there any other resedential lines that can hold a lot?

Nope, game servers take a lot of upload, and no resedential lines hold it. Maybe if you could find a T1 line provider in your area you could host 20-30. That is on an Unreal Tournament 2004 server.

Re: Re: Simple DSL Line?

Originally posted by MeridanD
    1 sec... HAHAHAHAHA . Man DSL should hold max of 10 people.
    It is totally wrong to make a statement like that. It all depends on what type of DSL and also what speed both downstream and upstream the service is.

It could ADSL, SDSL, HDSL or even VDSL. It could also range anywhere from 256/64k all the way to 50/10Mbps. So saying, a DSL can handle 10 people is a false statement.

mikeeyyman, if you can find out the type and speed of the line, it would be a lot more helpful. The service details should be either available on you ISP's website or even on the invoice/bill.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

get your self some nice fiber to your house
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I dont have DSL. Yet.

Currently I have cable, and I'm sticking with it for my normal usage. However, I was thinking of buying a DSL line and setting up a nice big 32 player CS server. So the DSL Line would be completley dedicated to the server, as well as an extra computer I have lying around.

I thought I'd be able to save $30 by hosting myself than renting.

What services are in your area that you have been looking at?
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

SBC.

Basic Package
    Up to 384Kbps down
    128Kbps up
    1 Dynamic IP
    $29.99

lol... that is the speed of my cable upload...

Originally posted by mikeeyyman
    SBC.

Basic Package
    Up to 384Kbps down
    128Kbps up
    1 Dynamic IP
    $29.99

No where near what you need.. even if you had the download speed as upload, you still wouldnt be able to.

You need atleast 5mbps I'd say for 150-200 people