tips for newbie...

hi, i want to rent a dedicated server in the future... i have no experience with linux and shell commands...any1 recommend on where i should start off... any tutorials online.. ebooks... books..?

The best way is to buy an old box off eBay and slap a distribution of Linux on it and play around. FOr books, I'd recommend Linux in a Nutshell, published by O'Reilly. It has a complete listing of commands common to most Linux distributions.

Also, search WHT. I know there's a site to help people get started with admining a dedicated server, but I can't remember the URL. Hopefully someone will.

Good luck and welcome to WHT!

the url is www.hostinglife.com I think

the url is www.hostinglife.com I think
    There is still a risk since yuko said he/she has no experience with Linux & shell.

My suggestion is, get yourself a good book to start. Or else you will only learn blindly.

Thanks.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

Download the mini-iso and get started

The handbook should be able to tell you anything you need to know to get up and running and having access to over 10000 ported applications via the ports and packages makes things easier.

would it be the same if i used vmware?

Well, vmware isn't a good idea, but you can surely test it out.

I think DJ Plasma means VMWare isn't good at all for a production environment, but it is good for testing out different operating systems to see what you're comfortable with.

i just want to be familiar with it, executing commands and stuff b4 i actually switch over...

Originally posted by yuko
    i just want to be familiar with it, executing commands and stuff b4 i actually switch over...
    www.ndeepak.info --Shell commands
    Also look at these
    www.linuxguruz.com
    www.linuxdevcenter.com
    www.tldp.org
    www.hostinglife.com
    www.linuxquestions.org

Plus, Oreilly has some pocket books for $9.95
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxpg/
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/esapr/index.html
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest