Question hosting for Forum with 200 mysql connections (users online at the same time)?

Hi,
    I see that it is not easy to find shared hosting for Forum with 200 mysql connections (users online at the same time).
    Is this a time to think about dedicated server or somebody can suggest shared host?

Thank you.

I would say yes. Most host allow that in total ( 200 max connections at one time for the whole server)

I would suggest looking at a dedicated server for that sort of concurrent usage.

It depends upon how much is being served from the database and how frequently those concurrent users require serving, but I think it's getting well towards dedicated territory.

Could anybody tell which forum software keeps the connection open&live while the user is "connected" ?

I thought this kind of software connects and disconnects on each user request (like click on a thread, open a forum, perform a search).

You should be able to get away with 15-30 mysql connections with that many users (to be safe.). 200 connections could serve 2000+ users.

Remember, there is only a connection made for a split second while the page is loading.

I see no need for a dedicated server - you could get away with a good host + a large shared plan. A good host will look at the resources you're using, and charge you accordingly, and allow you a large chunk of their server's processing power. Email a few hosts with details of your space/bandwidth, and a link to your forum.

As far as who to email, I would recommend:

- lunarpages
    - unitedhosting
    - httpme
    - futurequest
    - mediatemple (pricey but very reliable)
    Gone.

Originally posted by phision.com
    You should be able to get away with 15-30 mysql connections with that many users (to be safe.). 200 connections could serve 2000+ users.
    How do you figure this without knowing what software he's intending to use and what he's intending to use it for?

Someone could get away with vBulletin and 250+ concurrent users, yet there are other forums that massacre MySQL with 50 concurrent users.

Hi,
    I think to use Invision Power Board.
    Is any problem with this or you will recommend vBulletin?
    What is your experience?

Thank you.

vBulletin is pretty much the top star of forums. Everyone has their own preference, though.

As for a forum with 200 users at any one time - if these were members then it's likely you're being pretty resource intensive, and would likely need your own dedicated server. You should also have some good advertising revenue opportunities open on such a high traffic forum, and that would help pay for managing the server, if you didn't want to do this yourself.

I, Brian,

> You should also have some good advertising revenue
    > opportunities open on such a high traffic forum

I will use https://www.google.com/adsense/?hl=en_US
    for advertising.

Do you aware of any other opportunities?

Thank you.

Someone could get away with vBulletin and 250+ concurrent users, yet there are other forums that massacre MySQL with 50 concurrent users.
    I'm running iPB 1.3, was running 1.2 before and I've had over 250 users before without any problems at all. This was running in conjunction with a tracker using PHP and MySql serving well over a thousand users at any one time. This was on a P4 2.6GHZ with 1GB of RAM.

I tried the same thing with phpBB and the server keeled over after 300 users, not a good thing. This was only on an Athlon 1800+ however with 512MB of RAM, quite a difference.

As for advertising opportunities, AdSense is a bit messed up for me. I seem to get paid more when less people click.

If this post makes no sense, I haven't slept in about 3 days now. ^_^

just for some clarification..

do you CURRENTLY have a forum that is very popular (and thus needing 200 concurrent mysql connections)?

or are you going to be starting a forum which you THINK will be very popular?

if it's the latter, I'd re-evaluate your needs.. as the chances of creating a messageboard that popular are slim to none.

yeah, it is hard to compete no a days with a lot of the popular message boards, specially because big communities have been created for almost everything not just one thing.

But for connections and stuff, vBulletin is probably one of the best, it could handle a lot of users at a time, ive seen it in various places including here at webhosting talk. Right now there is about 700+ users browsing this forums, and Im sure that it could go way beyond that.

You should consider getting vbulletin though, since a lot more people also respect it more, as opposed to other boards, for some reason. lol.