VDS company, which one to choose?

Hi,

I've searched around these forums quite a bit, and read everything i could find on VDS/VPS hosting, but I still can't decide which company to go with.

Here are my options:

JVDS
    Linode
    GlobalServers
    RackForce
    Dinix

Both Dinix and Linode are sold out, but they look really good. I've heard mixed things about Rackforce, but I'm in Canada and it would be nice to go with a Canadian company. GlobalServers seems to have a reasonable reputation.

What you you guys choose? I need something right away, that's why I'd rather not wait for Dinix or Linode...but if they're really that much better I'll wait.

Thanks for the tips.

JVDS

Hands down, Rus is on top of his stuff. I know that you would get quality if you select him as your provider.

I'm taking adiungo for a spin right now... About 3 days into my new VPS here.

BTW, here are others you didn't mention in your list, just in case you haven't checked them out:
    adiungo.com
    tektonic.net
    dedicatednow.com
    vpscolo.com (sister company of jvds)
    servint.com

The above ones (plus your list) were all "final round" contenders for me. The ones that got stripped out for various technical or "gut" reasons (again, based on my needs) are:
    vps.pigscanfly.ca
    redwoodvirtual.com
    linuxvds.com
    hosting.tummy.com
    bytemark-hosting.co.uk
    hostitcheap.com
    hostingmetro
    globalservers.com
    Apollohosting.com
    powervps.com
    www.websitesource.com
    http://www.webworkzcentral.com/index...icated_servers
    hostforweb.com

(yes, I pathologically researched every one of these and put the "final contenders" above in a large spreadsheet)

you mileage may of course vary, depending on your needs and values...

I thought long and hard about going with the lowend plans from dinix/jvds/tektonic, but in the end, adiungo had a nicer price and website that showed a fair amount of effort had gone into it. If I'd had the budget I'd likely have gone with Servint, JVDS, or DINIX, probably considered in that order.

www.linode.com comes highly recommended

I believe another host (Linode 96's?) is currently being installed, so don't let the fact that it's sold out right now put you off.

Originally posted by brianbloom
    I'm taking adiungo for a spin right now... About 3 days into my new VPS here.

I thought long and hard about going with the lowend plans from dinix/jvds/tektonic, but in the end, adiungo had a nicer price and website that showed a fair amount of effort had gone into it. If I'd had the budget I'd likely have gone with Servint, JVDS, or DINIX, probably considered in that order.
    How has your experience been so far? Have you installed and software or customized the server in any way? One of the things I will want to do is install Postfix if possible, and Python.

Have you spoken with anybody at Adiungo?

Thanks.

I can recommend Rus @jvds/vpscolo, I have been extremely happy since I switched from dinix to vpscolo about 3 months ago
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service

Originally posted by mn-l
    How has your experience been so far? Have you installed and software or customized the server in any way? One of the things I will want to do is install Postfix if possible, and Python.

Thanks.
    So far so good. I've exchanged a couple emails with "Henry O" when I sent stuff to "sales@". I'd rate them as decent (but not excellent) responses to the questions I had.

I'm still trying to get a feel for their control panels. They have their own (part of HSPComplete or something), plus I got set up with Webmin, so I've just been a wee busy trying to figure out what all came installed and which panel is better for configuring it.

They do have a nice checkbox system during the ordering process where you can pick which apps are pre-installed on your site. I needed a couple packages (like phpBB) that I figured would be faster for them to deploy than me, so went that route.

I got my prior incarnation of phpBB migrated from my other host and upgraded, but haven't really installed any new packages yet.

The place I'm wishing I had some help with right now is a guide to hardening a Virtuozzo account... I posted a plea in the Security forum but no one has bit on it yet.

I just checked and mine came with Python 2.2.3 installed, plus the webmin module for Postfix, but postfix itself is not currently running.

JVDS is awesome hes a real cool dude. Top Notch support
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Just like dsotmoon I went from Dinix to VPSColo and ran both of them at the same time for a month and half after Dinix upgraded their plans. I had more conistent page load times with VPSColo. Dinix has a better network, but I have not had any network problems with VPSColo and Rus Rocks.

He takes the time to deal with my newbie questions and problems, and has gone out of his way to help me with MMcache, and adding Mod_Gzip for me.

I like the DNS backup and mail backup VPSColo provides.

It is also nice to be able to add more CPU or memory with VPSColo also.

I say VPScolo , Im very happy there...
    Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for !

FastSRV

Not to add to the confusion, but I am quite happy with my VDS at Tektonic. Even though I am a fairly new customer, I had no problems with the setup or the service so far.

What sold me was they have very customizable packages. With tektonic you can choose just what you need. There is a link to a customized VDS where you can choose how much ram, HD, and bandwidth you would like. Also when I was looking for VDS's I found that not many of them offered any control panel, with tectonik you can get either direct admin or cpanel for $10 per month.

with VPScolo you get CPanel 4 FREE , and CPskins is just $30/year , also Fantastico $15/year ( one time ) , also you can add RVskins for like $30/year ... I say VPScolo... superb network and great support.
    Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for !

FastSRV

JVDS or VPScolo.

Been with JVDS for 5 months and I couldn't be happier.

Great uptime, unbelievable support, super prices.

Originally posted by prautes
    Not to add to the confusion, but I am quite happy with my VDS at Tektonic. Even though I am a fairly new customer, I had no problems with the setup or the service so far.
    I looked at their (tektonic) website and I really like the sounds of their packages. Does anybody else have any experience with them? They're a little cheaper than JVDS and VPScolo.. but it's hard to ignore all those recommendations to save a few bucks.

Adiungo also looks pretty good.. arg, this is such a hard desicion.

Right now i'm leaning towards JVDS, they're a little cheaper than VPScolo. But if somebody comes through with another review of Tektonic I might go with them too.

ive been very happy with dinix, if you have the budget definitly go with them, you wont be let down. always up with very fast support.

its only about 5 more days until they bring everything back in stock if you can wait.

JVDS

Another vote for JVDS. Rus provides better support than most dedicated server shops, and the prices are excellent.

Best of all, he's straight up on the odd occasion where something does go wrong. There's nothing I hate more than shops where you have to guess at whether you're being lied to or having a problem painted over by a non-stop salesdrone. Better to have them tell you what's up and what's being done to fix it.

JVDS definately! The support is amazing, everything that was promised was given. Uptime has been great, and from my personal site monitering it is over %99. I'm going onto my third month with them, however, I was a client in the past.
    Michael MacKinnon

VPSCOLO or JVDS, I went with VPSCOLO a few weeks ago and have been extremely happy there.

Here are my options:
    JVDS
    Linode
    GlobalServers
    RackForce
    Dinix
    They are all good and stable companies. You have to decide on the VDS engine - UML or Virtuozzo, as well as on the use of control panel to make more easy for you the eventual upgrade to a real dedicated server. I would say, RackForce prices and quota are quite generous for a company using Virtuozzo.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

I looked at their (tektonic) website and I really like the sounds of their packages. Does anybody else have any experience with them? They're a little cheaper than JVDS and VPScolo.. but it's hard to ignore all those recommendations to save a few bucks.
    Tektonic VDS:

Code:
    $ uptime
     10:58:19 up 53 days, 23:43,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    Rebooted 53 days ago by me to replace Fedora with Debian stable, but the server has been up for more than that. I don't know if it is good or bad (kernel upgrades, you know) but the uptime is pretty good.

My server with VPScolo/JVDS has been up 22 days since the last reboot. I think the whole server was rebooted once a while ago for the kernel upgrades but I can't really remember. Anyway, happy with the uptime and I'm upgrading my plan now.
    Michael MacKinnon

VPS Colo is great!

Their support is very helpful and will go the extra step with you if you need it.
    o_O

I hate to sound like a broken record but VPSColo is awesome. Since Rus runs JVDS too I would assume they are just as good, but the reviews certainly echo that. VPSColo is mainly for people who want a control panel and managed servers (like me) - JVDS for people who want options like location, OS, or control panel or not.

Going on six months with JVDS, with no complaints. Service and support are excellent. My only reboots have been because of kernel exploit upgrades.

Thanks.
    I just installed postfix 1.1.12 on my VPS from Adiungo (213.228.242.29) without any hastles. I've had my VPS from them for about a month & a half now.

VPS Colo without thinking they are the best