Site ripping programs...

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping, that someone can help or advise on this matter.

I spend a lot of time on my website and would like people to view the website as it was meant to be viewed,,, from the servers PHP/MYSQL pages.

Sadly, it appears that programs like Offline Explorer can rip the whole website pretty quickly, and I am wondering if there is any way to stop that and other programs from doing so ?

I am on a Fedora Core 1 server, with PHP 4.34, Mysql 4/

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this

Regards and thanks

Uh, generally no. Because there's no way to distinguish those rippers from typical browsers. HTTP doesn't have any sort of client tool authentication, which is the only way I can think of that you'd do this.

You could theoretically turn your site into nagware where each link made the user type something or click a button before being served, but you'd probably scare off your own visitors before you'd hinder any bulk copiers.

Plan B would be to put javascript code that runs when the page is loaded that looks at the URL for the page, and redirects to like yahoo if it's not your exact url, but that could be manually stripped out by the thief after D/Ling your site.