Space News ::"Earth-like" planets common,science fiction-science fact in not too long

Couple of typo's in the subject but i wanted to fit the sentence in.

Article extract >>

Half the stars known to have planets might possess Earth-like worlds, astronomers are claiming.

More than 100 planetary systems beyond the Sun have been discovered since the mid-90s.

So far only giant gas-planets, similar to Jupiter, have been found by detecting the gravitational effect they have on their parent stars.

But astronomers believe many smaller, rocky planets are waiting to be discovered - and some may be able to support life.

British scientists have now calculated the chances of finding such Earth-like worlds.

Based on a detailed study of nine systems, the results indicate that as many as half the planets might be capable of supporting life.

End extract <<

For more info :: http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...044244,00.html

Depending on the intelligence of the other possible species there could be dozens of us [humanoid or other intelligent life] out there.

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

"We are not alone".

I hope not, it's pretty scary to think what we've done to our world, and to be alone is scarier.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

It is scary to think we live on the only planet with life on it.

I think it is just ignorant to think that we are the only "ones" in this vast universe. Then again by looking at what we have done with our race and a planet as a whole, I'm sure we wont be very welcome if we happen to find such a planet and land on it and they find out what we have done.
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Wouldn't it be freaky if everything was sorta the same but opposit, for example you see yourself as male or female
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Oh some of you do the Human race a disservice, sure we're not perfect but we have many necessary and admirable traits, ones that will greatly benefit us when we explore space in a big way.

We are a very curious species and one willing to take risks if necessary in the face of advancement and knowledge; we are ambitiousnd have worked hard for personal freedoms through our history. Look how far we've come in our time on this planet, our species rose above its contemporaries to become more than it was. We have used our surroundings to aid us to get where we are now and will use them to help us in the future, granted there have been big costs which we will need to look at but nonetheless.

We're not all bad, my guilt is no match for my recognition and pride. Another species of a similar level of intelligence will have made similar mistakes and advances unless metals come already refined out of the dirt and electricity runs through the air.

I have no doubt that there is life out there somewhere, how advanced i can only imagine but whether it be a collection of Amoeba or race of space explorers and traders we'll encounter them sooner rather than later in one form or another.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 04-02-2004 at 04:22 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

There are many planets that contain life. Intelligent life. Suprise suprise, but there are approximatly 100 different species of intelligent life who visit our solar system each year. Sounds crazy, but its true. It only gets more crazy...............

RMF

Time for the tin foil hats . . . . .
    Invectis - Windows 2000, 2003 and MS SQL Server web hosting

Originally posted by RMF
    There are many planets that contain life. Intelligent life. Suprise suprise, but there are approximatly 100 different species of intelligent life who visit our solar system each year. Sounds crazy, but its true. It only gets more crazy...............

RMF
    More info?

What freaks me is that the universe is infinite. You will *never* reach the end of it. I don't know why, but i find it hard to comprehend. Infinite planets, infinite stars etc. etc. Infinite resources if we play our cards right and develop space travel.
    Gone.

So mabye these Unlimited Hosts just understand the universe better than others

I agree with phision - It's pretty hard to imagine. Everytime I think the universe is growing...it's growing.. but into what? I know that's a bad way to look at it but I suppose it's my stubbornness.

Also something that is very interesting is the study of blackholes and space travel.
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

Also something that is very interesting is the study of blackholes and space travel.
    Jasber, there is some black hole discussion and an article in this thread if you're interested >> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=black+holes

Found this other Space News article today also, i don't see a need for a new thread.

Article extract >>

British scientists want to send two mini-spacecraft to explore Phobos and Deimos, the mysterious moons of Mars.
    The satellites, which are thought to be captured asteroids, have never received a direct mission - although passing US probes have taken images of them.

Dr Andrew Ball of the Open University says new technologies, such as low-mass propulsion systems, make this a good time to visit the moons.

The proposal may become part of a European Mars exploration initiative.

End extract <<

For more info :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3593153.stm

Beagle's 3 and 4 get ready for launch, good news generally but also for Britain.

Critic,

We know for a fact there is intelligent life in the universe already (us) and we're slowly finding out that our role in the universe is pretty insignificant really, I mean we inhabit a relatively small planet circling a pretty common type of star.

I'm leaning towards the infinite universe as well, the recent Ultra Deep Field image from Hubble was interesting when they explain that those really distant objects are sending 1 photon per minute or may have been hour but that seems to indicate light may have a limit on distance it can travel.

We're still learning, we still aren't sure why Voyager (or Pioneer?) is slightly off course possibly due to some function of gravity we haven't quite figured out yet.

As for other races visiting us ... I really do hope they are, because if they are then it means inter-stellar travel is possible, if they aren't then it could mean it isn't feasible at all or that intelligence doesn't survive long enough to get to that stage of the game.

I do lean towards them visiting though, I mean there are so many stories in our history books that seem to indicate some sort of interaction may have occurred at various times. I think such visitations could explain some religious events as well, let's face it, any advanced beings would be seen as "Gods" to our ancestors. Ancient Greek writings speak of great battles in the sky between the gods of their time, might have just been some killer lightening storms but you never know.

Either interstellar travel is possible or it isn't, if it is I would bet other species have mastered it long before we come along, if our solar system is only around 5 billion years old and the universe is estimated at 12 billion years then that leaves 7 billion years before our star existed that life had a chance to take root, the atoms that we're built from have apparently existed the full 12 billion years too.

It's fun stuff to wrap your mind around that's for sure, I don't think we'll find out why we exist, we will just have to be happy with the fact that we do exist.

Oh, and my money is on microbial life still existing on Mars, I think we're going to find life is pretty universal and will take hold where it can and adapt to the enviroment it finds itself in.
    Dynanet Network Services - 206-607-9075
    We Do Hosting - Established May 2001
    http://www.dynanet.ca/

A scarier thought....

We find a planet that once had humans on it. We find records that they were a little more advanced than we currently are. We find records that show they sent a voyage to a similar planet, what we now call earth. The ship crashed, all assumed dead. Shortly after that, there was a planet wide nuclear war.

I guess it would show we cant change. It sounds reasonable. They say we came from monkeys, wrong. The Neanderthol came from monkeys. Scientists arent sure how the new speciaes of homo-sapiens came about, who by the way, they say caused the Neanderthal to die out somehow. If modern human came from Neanderthols, there's a huge gaps in the records missing. Truthfully, Earth would be quite the Heaven if man didnt exist here. It almost seems we dont belong here.

Or. maybe we will find that there are other far more intelligent life out there, and they see what we are doing to ourselves and our planet, our greed and violence, and want nothing to do with us.. You can bet our Government would find a way to war with them, and probably get us wiped out. Of course, the gov would have us believe it's not our fault.. probably try to have us believe the aliens are terrorists

Originally posted by timechange.com
    "We are not alone".

• AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •

I remember a BBC documentary last year on this subject. The experts on it estimated that will probably be as many as 50,000 other "life possible" planets in space. They said it worked out at something like 0.0000007% chance that we were the only planet with the elements needed for life. They also showed many images of a planet in a distant solar system that they had been tracking for about 6 years that they believed was extremely similar to earth, even in its rotational spin. Of course the planet is way too far away to ever be certain (well within the next 100 years at least) but they do seriously believe it is very similar to earth.

How thy worked it out was complicated - the pictures they had were very very very bad because it was so far away.

So I do not believe we are alone
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

I'm still trying to find intelligent life forms on earth.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Originally posted by Sash!
    . . . So I do not believe we are alone
    You believe even though you have not seen.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    You believe even though you have not seen.
    I have seen the facts though and as I say the likelyhood is so low, you would be more likely to win the lottery 5 times in a row lol.

They have already found microscopic forms of life on our nearest planet, im pretty sure there will be more in the millions of other planets out there.

5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Originally posted by Sash!
    I have seen the facts though and as I say the likelyhood is so low, you would be more likely to win the lottery 5 times in a row lol.

They have already found microscopic forms of life on our nearest planet, im pretty sure there will be more in the millions of other planets out there.
    You have faith, in that you believe in that which you have not seen. Faith is something we all use everyday. Getting into a plane, a car, a boat, a lift etc, all requires faith.

Not sure about them finding "forms of life" on mars though. Their definition of "life" is pretty broad. I think it'll be a while before they really know what they found. More of a case of the NASA media department needing something like that out there in the media, to keep interest (and funding) high.

My opinion (belief) - I believe that the universe is teeming with life, and that we are a part of all that wonder.

Don't forget I have never mentioned "intelligent life" anywhere in my post. Only life. A life form can be the smallest thing, even a plant can be classed as a life form

Yes, nobody has ever proved there is life out there, but then nobody has ever proved there isn't life out there - and all the facts point to the conclusion that there must be some sort of life out there. So ill stick with that hehehe

Works for me.

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    I'm still trying to find intelligent life forms on earth.

Doc
    *looks at RIT , hat*
    *asks self, which college to you go to?*
    *answers, Why yes, RIT the abode of all Intelligent Life Forms*
    Benoξt Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™