Buying New Server [Questions ...]

Hello,

I am about to start a web hosting company and have a few questions.

The Facts:

Possible OS's: Mandrake 9.2, Debian 3.0, FreeBSD / OpenBSD

3) HARDWARE Options:

I am looking at:
    DUAL or SINGLE Pentium 4 Xeon 2.4 GHZ or 3.0 Ghz.
    So is it better to get SINGLE p4Xeon 3.0 GHZ ?
    Or DUAL P4Xeon 2.4 GHZ ?

1GB DDR 266mhz Registered SDRAM minimum, 2 GB Maximum.

15,000 RPM SCSI HDD 73GB OR two 36 GB SCSI Drives set up with RAID. But I'm not sure which one and whether it would increase performance or not.

OR should I go with OPTERON ? Maybe will cost too much ...

2) Would you recommend cPANEL or PLESK 7 ? (new version of plesk ... looking pretty good).
    The above are the OS's I am willing to use, I don't want to touch RedHat or Fedora.

3) Amount of USERS / LOAD:

I am not sure how much load I will be getting, however I am aiming at offering Shared Hosting accounts on the machine.
    I want to be sure that if I end up hosting 1000 users that all will run smoothly.

One of the websites hosted on this server, is going to be a very large online community with approximately 10,000 users.

So I would like to know what settings I need for APACHE to run well etc. or does cPANEL / PLESK set things up appropriately depending on traffic conditions ?

I'm trying not to spend too much, the price gap between Xeon 2.4 and 3.0 is quite hefty, which is why I was considering doing Dual Processor 2.4 or 2.0 even.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by The Initiate; 04-02-2004 at 11:58 AM.

I think I would get two cheaper servers instead. It would cost less and you could move accounts to the other server to balance the load.

1. For hardware, duals is a better choice than a single P4 3.0. Dual Xeons should cost almost the same as Opteron.

Raid mode (except 0) is not for performance. You are actually going to have a performance hit if you do mirroring, as it now needs to write twice. What configuration to go for depends a lot on your expected usage. I would go for dual harddisk myself.

2. Cpanel don't work on those OS you mentioned, except for FreeBSD. We use Cpanel ourselves and it have its up and downs.

3. Looking at your usage, definitely go for a dual.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

To host a 1000 domains and also have a database running a forum of 10,000 users, you need a top-of-the-line dual xeon (2.4ghz with 4gb ram and 10k SCSI drives).
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Thanks all for your answers.

NexDog, could you please check your Email (I wrote you one).

I wouldnt bother with opterons, since 64-bit mode would not be supported by Cpanel (not sure about Plesk).

Sounds like you got the rest of the things covered though

Well regardless, Opterons will still run faster.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

yes they will, I know if i bought an Opteron box, Id certainly want it running 64-bit mode.

Sure its still going to beat the xeon performance wise, but it wouldn't reach its full potential.

Just wait till 64-bit Cpanel comes out ... and hell freezes over ... (and for you serious people out there, thats a joke)

Originally posted by The Initiate
    Thanks all for your answers.

NexDog, could you please check your Email (I wrote you one).
    Could you resend because I don't see it? My inbox is a bit of a warzone today so it could easily have been deleted.

10. Originally posted by NexDog
    Could you resend because I don't see it? My inbox is a bit of a warzone today so it could easily have been deleted.
    Oooh that could be a BIG problem ... it does not list your email here, instead it used vBULLETIN's email system so naturally I don't have a copy.

I don't have PM access either on this board.

Could you write me a test email to omarz@innovit.com and if you could cc it to x23@haxors.com that would be great also (I think my innovit.com is playing up).

I'll write you an email then.

Thanks.
    Last edited by The Initiate; 04-07-2004 at 09:54 PM.

Email away.