Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't use ICQ, as I've found if I make myself available via ICQ folks will often use it when email or telephone is more appropriate, at least for me. I do have AIM (jeffsw6, it's on my profile I believe) and, of course, email and telephone.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

It's really disappointing that folks with hundreds of posts on their accounts would bring themselves down by insulting another poster based on his age. Whether or not the subject of your post knows anything about the Vietnam War is hardly relavent to his experience in the hosting market. That said, of course he'll have less knowledge and experience in both technical and business matters than someone who has been an entrepreneur for years, however I suspect you could limit yourself to making that point without putting him down.

The content of your posts reflect on yourself as well, and you should keep that in mind when you go out of your way to insult another poster.

Originally posted by jsw6
    The content of your posts reflect on yourself as well, and you should keep that in mind when you go out of your way to insult another poster.
    Very true - but look back at this thread, for example:

Back to the original topic... Starting your own co-lo facility would be risky at best. There are alot of players out there already, Some are doing good some are not. Money isn't really the problem. You need alot more then money. Business is business whether you are selling on the internet or in your home town. You must first know how to operate a business and from what I see of you Raine I would say you are not ready for something like this.

Running a webhosting business on the net and operating a million dollar DC are not the same thing.
    And we see this response:

And for the 4th time. This is not me that is doing this. I'm just getting feedback. Some people should work on their reading skills.
    So even though someone misunderstands a minute detail (who is creating this facility) but provides relevant information to aid in the discussion of the topic, X-Gaming gets told to work on his reading skills. Forget the body of his message, it's irrelevant. All that matters is that he misread the original post. Right?

Next we have my post, in which I provide general information relating to the topic. But, it appears to be inapproriate to Raine-Tech, so he choses to disregard it and suggest that I am not allowing people to talk.

Let's get one thing straight, a discussion can go two ways, for or against. If someone posts something you don't agree with, you don't completely ignore the relevant part of their post and bash them on some other detail. THAT is what throws threads off topic. THAT is why half this thread is useless, and THAT is why this post and all other irrelevant posts in this topic should be deleted.

My anger isn't directed towards you, Jeff - if nothing else, you're probably one of the people I respect most on this forum.

Thanks loopforever.

I have no issue with his age either. Hell we have a few techs here that are under 18 and show me new stuff everyday!

Greetings:

FYI. Please determine up front whether your co-location facility will be akin to a self-service garage (aka Switch and Data for example) or a fully manned and staffed facility providing some degree of managed services.

I know we are in the market segment that requires the latter as an absolute must.

And please be sure to communicate which market you serve to prospective customers.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

FYI. Please determine up front whether your co-location facility will be akin to a self-service garage (aka Switch and Data for example) or a fully manned and staffed facility providing some degree of managed services.

I know we are in the market segment that requires the latter as an absolute must.

And please be sure to communicate which market you serve to prospective customers.

Thank you.
    This is something undecided yet. It would probably be geared more towards switch + data only but still staffed a bit for some sort of management for clients whou couldn't go on-site...

Greetings RaineTech:

From our experience, pick one or the other.

A smattering for the other may give clients a false feeling of the security they desire when they go into a fully managed facility.

Thank you.

P.S. You can pick both if you are fully managed, but you have to be fully managed (24x7x365 staff fully certified in CISCO, RedHat, Windows et all).
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Just a reminder to a few of you: The original question was "Do you think it is worth it to sell colocation space in a datacenter only". It wasn't "am I old enough to do this".

Paradox Web Hosting - codyw@paradox-group.com
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

Originally posted by affhosting
    [B]Pfft. Sweet irony... several months ago, anyone under 18 would've gotten chased off the forums. I see things have changed.
    I fully intended not to "name names" when I expressed my disappointment with the conduct of some participants in this thread, however you continue to do nothing but goad RaineTech. Your posts on this topic have been utterly void of business or technical comment, and full of incite and insult.

I have read many threads in which differences of opinion were expressed with vigor, and have found value in posters taking objection to the business conduct of persons or companies who are, on occasion, the topic of discussion; however you seem to have a problem with a person on this forum, not an opinion or practice. While there may be remedy to that, there is no reason to seek it by insulting another on the public forum. Putting RaineTech down in such a manner brings you down as well, and I'm sorry you haven't seen that for yourself, or that, if you have, you value the end of "chasing [him] off the forums," as one that justifies both the act you committed and the possible damage to your reputation.

Please, I implore you to limit yourself to discussing the issues at hand, and to cease this unprosessional taunting. Kind thanks for your attention, and my apologies to others who doubtlessly have no interest in this post or others on this thread.

Originally posted by jsw6
    Putting RaineTech down in such a manner brings you down as well, and I'm sorry you haven't seen that for yourself, or that, if you have, you value the end of "chasing [him] off the forums," as one that justifies both the act you committed and the possible damage to your reputation.
    It really hurts that you think I sounded like I wanted to "chase him off the forums"; what hurts more is that now that I re-read it, you're probably right- it does sound like that. For the record, I don't think anyone should be unwelcome here, and I definately don't want to scare RaineTech out of working on a datacenter.

Back to business...

You (RaineTech) noted that "these guys are more of VC's looking to invest in things that don't require *as much* work. Offering dedicateds would become too much of a hassle..."

It sounds like these venture capitalists are rich MBAs or business majors who've heard that running a hosting business is lucrative and maybe done a little research on it. I'm guessing that these people don't have that much experience in the business.

If that's the case, they might want to hire a few experienced networkers for consulting and to handle setting the whole thing up. They also might want to start smaller by renting a large space (and a gigabit or two of connections) at an existing DC.

Renting space, rather than building a DC, would lower their costs and would give them a lot of experience in running the business aspects of a network before they have to worry about their own DC. Additionally, when they do decide to build (or buy) a DC, they'd already have a customer base set up.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

Originally posted by affhosting
    Seriously, is anyone going to trust a 16 year old kid to handle their beloved dual Xeon?

On another note, you could always set up a DC in a country where the legal age is only 14 or 15...

I trusted a 15yr old my server, and he managed it much better than older people have

You dont know how many wiz's are out there with a short age nowdays.

Imagine how differently rainetech would have been treated had no one known his age. There are tons of people on this board that are young but i feel that age is not relevant in these types of discussions. I agree that age often times reflects on maturity and knowledge, but if someone has the maturity and knowledge of someone being 'x' years old why not treat them as if they were. Some people attacking raine tech seem to have the maturity of an 'x' year old and should also be treated accordingly. That ends my rant and i hope not to be attacked for it.

anyway back on topic:

If they are going to mostly be the money behind the operation, why not hire someone to manage the dedicated servers? I would assume that they would want as much growth as possible in the first 6 months to cover their monthly expenses of staff, utilities, bandwidth, etc. that colo alone may not be able to offer the amount of new clients they need.

You don't have to make a huge colocation facility. You could get away with a small one, you don't need 30,000 square feet. You can easily make a nice DC with 2,000. But this again is just for your own use and some colocation customers, you can't have like huge cages ect.
    Max

Yes it seems like it could take a LONG time to fill 30,000 feet. If each cage is ~ 300 sq. feet (including walk space around it) that is a LOT of cages.

Originally posted by webephex
    Yes it seems like it could take a LONG time to fill 30,000 feet. If each cage is ~ 300 sq. feet (including walk space around it) that is a LOT of cages.
    Well lets not forget that you need room for UPS systems, air conditioning, networking equipment, staff, security room etc.. It's not like you're going to take 30,000 sq. ft. and divy it up with 100 customers each using 300 sq. ft. Like you said you'd need space to walk around as well. If you're carting in a bunch of servers, you'll need enough space to fit comfortably. But yes they will hire people to manage everything, they just want a good place to invest their money and want to do something with the internet that has merit. (None of the dot com stuff).

Exclamation Is colocation alone worth it??

Hey RaineTech,

Actually there are companies that JUST provide collocation services.

As the owner of a website hosting and collocation company I would like to re-state some of the things many people have stated in this insane forum:

Co-location only still requires a LOT of staffing issues. Even if you only have one data center to start you have to have a minimum of 2 people there 24 X 7 to cover all security issues (at a physical level) and to cover all connectivity issues.

Although collocation ONLY will provide a lot less headaches you will have a much slower sales cycle.

The number one problem with opening up a data center now is going to be marketing money. People are becoming gun-shy from using new up-and-coming companies because SO many young people trying to open hosting companies and have great technical skills but no business skills and no capital to buy equipment or the other notorious problem; people open hosting companies on cable modem accounts in their bedrooms. Your friends need to find someone old with grey hair to bring “visual” age and experience and instant credibility to their company image. Sadly many people don’t trust young IT people.

One of the other real practical issues you (and your friends) should be looking at is the size issue; as 30,000 feet is a LOT of space. When I opened our company I opened in 1996 in my bedroom (back in the day when it was totally possible to use a cable modem to start a hosting company). When we got our first office I thought oh wow. 3,500 Sq. feet… “We Rock”. We now have about 10,000 plus feet of Data center space, redundant hydro, generators as big as my car and redundant back bone connections, redundant AC units and racks and racks of equipment.

A single APC Rack will be 991.7 Sq. Inches or approximately 6.8 Sq. Feet.

IF… IF you don’t figure in space for walking room and additional extra’s (that’s WAY too much work for this forum) you could put 4,360 racks full of equipment in that space.

Lets not for get that each rack will produce about 1.5 KW of heat… that is a LOT of cooling that would be needed that size of space.

Hope that gives you an idea from a real world hands on experience.

Best Regards,

James Johnson
    Director of Internet Technology
    NetworxHosting.com

P.S. I have technical staff that work for me that are 18 years old…. Don’t let the old guys in this forum get to you… they are afraid of seeing other people succeed before they do, especially young ones!!

P.S.S. And for those in the forum NO.. I'm not 16 or 18... I'm 32 and would love to be 18 in this industry again!

Originally posted by maxhest
    You don't have to make a huge colocation facility. You could get away with a small one, you don't need 30,000 square feet. You can easily make a nice DC with 2,000. But this again is just for your own use and some colocation customers, you can't have like huge cages ect.
    So you're saying it's possible/economical to open a store downtown and get two 100 mbps connections, a large backup generator, switches and routers, and about 10-20 racks and start up a DC?

I'll have to keep that in mind.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.

If you and your friends have the money, go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Just be smart and use some of it to hire someone who has proven themselves in the very thing you want to start if you don't have the experience yourself.

Some of the richest people in this world don't have a clue about what they sell, or how to run a business, they hire people who do know.

My Addition to the topic:
    Make sure you have planned everything and have the proper people to do your plan without much problems. If you start up and are able to prove yourself quickly, word will spread and will help with business. Try to get some larger customers lined up before you start with somewhat of peliminary planning to see how many customers you will be able to get with your pricing and infastructure.

Comments to people who are being insulting like "your just a kid" and things to that effect, were you not once a kid yourself with your own aspirations and dreams? Get real people. If us "kids" did not have these dreams and knowledge, where will the economy and markets be going in the future?

Comment to Mr Dredd: wow you really like to seem to make yourself seem like some big shot in most threads you post in, hmm from what I recall, you seemed like "a young teenager" with your company, what happened to that? You also acted very immaturely while I was trying to get my money from you for a service I provided. Maybe someone should not be so arrogant towards teenagers if you seem to be so close to one yourself?

Originally posted by propcgamer

Comments to people who are being insulting like "your just a kid" and things to that effect, were you not once a kid yourself with your own aspirations and dreams? Get real people. If us "kids" did not have these dreams and knowledge, where will the economy and markets be going in the future?

Comment to Mr Dredd: wow you really like to seem to make yourself seem like some big shot in most threads you post in, hmm from what I recall, you seemed like "a young teenager" with your company, what happened to that? You also acted very immaturely while I was trying to get my money from you for a service I provided. Maybe someone should not be so arrogant towards teenagers if you seem to be so close to one yourself?
    In response... when I was in high school, I was busy mowing lawns and lifeguarding to save money for a car, not working with venture capitalists. RaineTech's age doesn't necessarily hurt him, but there are many healthy/ normal things for a high-schooler to do aside from setting up datacenters.

If us "kids" did not have these dreams and knowledge, where will the economy and markets be going in the future?
    There are a lot of healthy, normal ways to dream. When I was 14, I dreamt of being a mayor who built power plants, roads, and zoned areas (can you guess where that came from?). You don't necessarily have to build a datacenter by age 16 to contribute to the economy as an adult. If you do too much too early, you risk getting burned out and leaving the computer industry altogether.

(It's always best to close on-topic) You might be able to rake in some extra money by finding a company that makes or leases dedicated servers that offers you a commission. Great way to compete with dedicated server providers without taking on all the extra work.
    Last edited by HostMidwest; 04-12-2004 at 05:54 PM.

Need to hear from Infiniteray Tech.

I wish to contact Infintreray Technology, but can't. Their Internet websites not loading. Need other ways to contact them to find out about their web services. May want to do business with them judging from the posts here.
    SekR2

Re: Need to hear from Infiniteray Tech.

Originally posted by seeker2
    I wish to contact Infintreray Technology, but can't. Their Internet websites not loading. Need other ways to contact them to find out about their web services. May want to do business with them judging from the posts here.
    SekR2
    Since I can't post URLs of any kind (why is beyond me, especially if the URL is on the same domain as WHT)...

To answer all your questions regarding my company, please refer to my post in this thread:

www . webhostingtalk . com /showthread.php?s=&threadid=310104

Please note, I am only posting here to clear things up regarding my company and to dispell any rumors of hearsay generated by RainTech. Thanks.

Re: Re: Need to hear from Infiniteray Tech.

Originally posted by InfiniteRay
    Since I can't post URLs of any kind (why is beyond me, especially if the URL is on the same domain as WHT)...
    Read the rules, you have to have five posts first. The reason for that is so that people dont just register and start spamming the forum :-)

I've seen people just take out loads, get a few lines and start their own co-lo, but it was backed by another business, I.E. an ISP. So they had the cash, the knowhow and the safety net.

Lay out your plan carefully, and maybe get some venture capitalists to give you $.

Re: Re: Re: Need to hear from Infiniteray Tech.

Originally posted by demonmoo
    Read the rules, you have to have five posts first. The reason for that is so that people dont just register and start spamming the forum :-)
    I understand the reason for not allowing URLs... what I don't understand is why they don't allow URLs to their own site. It doesn't make sense.

Also, in response to unixtoys -- it's really hard to get VC funding for a DC nowadays... I'm almost going to venture stating it's virtually impossible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast