Exclamation Sport News :: Got some spare change, bet on "The Grand National" not to be missed.

Now i expect our British WHTers to know about this already, it is an annual event but others might not be aware of it.

The Grand National, has a ring of gold to it doesn't it, well there certainly will be a lot of gold or money thrown at it backing a horse or another here in Britain. One of the if not the biggest betting days of the year.

Background info >>

Maximum number of runners: 40
    Distance: 4.5 miles (7,200 metres)

The race comprises two full circuits of the 2.25 mile (3,600 metres) Martell Grand National course, which is flat throughout.

The Race
    The bare details above do not convey the full extent of the challenge posed by two circuits and 30 of the most testing fences in the world of jump racing.

The Fences
    A total of 30 fences over the two circuits. Each of the 16 fences on the course are jumped twice, with the exception of The Chair (see below) and the Water Jump, which are jumped on the first circuit only.

The key fences are:

Becher's Brook - Fence 6 and 22: The drop on the landing side, and the fact that the horses are about to turn left-handed are the two main features that make this the most famous obstacle.

The Chair - Fence 15: At 5ft 2 inches (1.57 metres), both the tallest and the broadest fence on the course. With a 6ft (1.83 metres) wide ditch on the take-off side, the chair requires a perfectly-timed leap from horse and rider.

The Run-in
    Having jumped the final fence, the horses are confronted with an exceptionally long run to the winning post, 494 yards, where races have been won and lost.

The course demands stamina, courage, good jumping and some luck - in short, it is the toughest test in world racing.

http://www.aintree.co.uk

End

In my life i've had two winners that i can recall, one called Party Politics which i only said would win but didn't back and one called Red Marauder which i did back.

Form can go right out of the window in this race with the dark horses not being quite so dark if you know what i mean.

My personal tip is to back the favourite or near favourite and then something of an outsider, don't go too crazy, not bigger than 50/1 in my opinion.

Here are the 40 declared Horses and the betting, apologies, i don't have the Jockey's.

1 Le Coudray 25/1 40/1 33/1 20/1
    2 Montys Pass 16/1 20/1
    3 Whats Up Boys 33/1 25/1
    4 Alexander Banquet 33/1
    5 Kingsmark 40/1
    6 Artic Jack 33/1
    7 Risk Accessor 50/1
    8 Davids Lad 14/1
    9 Bindaree 11/1
    10 Alcapone 50/1 66/1
    11 Puntal 50/1 100/1
    12 Southern Star 25/1 20/1
    13 Hedgehunter 9/1 10/1
    14 Shardam 16/1
    15 Takagi 25/1
    16 Joss Naylor 12/1 11/1
    17 Amberleigh House 14/1
    18 The Bunny Boiler 66/1 50/1
    19 Tyneandthyneagain 40/1 50/1
    20 Red Striker 50/1
    21 Gunner Welburn 25/1
    22 Kelami 50/1
    23 Jurancon II 9/1
    24 Royal Atalza 40/1
    25 Just in Debt 50/1
    26 Exit to Wave 40/1
    27 Clan Royal 10/1
    28 Akarus 40/1
    29 Spot Thedifference 33/1 50/1
    30 Bounce Back 50/1 66/1
    31 Ardent Scout 40/1 50/1
    32 Bear On Board 10/1 11/1
    33 Lord Atterbury 25/1 40/1
    34 Mantles Prince 150/1 250/1
    35 Blowing Wind 40/1 50/1
    36 Skycab 150/1
    37 Wonder Weasel 100/1
    38 Smarty 100/1
    39 Luzcadou 100/1 150/1
    40 Montreal 100/1

I'm looking at Artic Jack as my outsider but i am as yet undecided on the near favourite. I've backed Davids Lad before and couldn't quite manage it. hmm

Have a punt, even a dollar or a pund each way, it isn't all about the money.

http://www,ladbrokes.com for your betting needs if online, well that is who i am partial to.

[i]Let's hope there are no bad fallers or broken legs , that is the only real negative of this kind of race and no small matter.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 04-01-2004 at 10:06 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Yay! Critic returns. Where have you been?

I know there hasn't been a lot we agree about, and you might find it hard to believe this, but I've actually missed your posts here recently.

Nothing like a bit of gentlemanly conflict to get the mind working in the early hours when I'm up working 'without contraries there is no progression' as your mate Blake would say.

Glad to see you back anyway.

Never really back the grand national because I feel a bit sorry for the horses. There's been so many of them killed over the years, not to mention the risk to the riders. I guess that's what makes it exciting to many people though. To each their own.

Where have you been?
    See here >> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=255328

Well i grew up with The Grand National, everyone used to have a small wager of some sort and then you've got the office sweepstakes. I do a bit of research now mind you, doesn't seem to have helped my chances as yet. True there is the danger to the horses although some of the fences on the course have been changed to reduce the chances of a fatal fallller. The risk and less chances of success and the amount of shock results to make it exciting but no part time or regular participant in Horse Racing or The National would want a horse or rider to be injured.

One day i am sure vetinary science will progress to deal with a broken limb on a horse or similar animal in a similar way to us or with a similar "fit as a fiddle" outcome, well that is what we all hope i think.

Just to say that Artic Jack has beec crossed off my listish, someone on the radio said he is carrying a lot of weight, should jump well but will need some of the better wighted horses to slip up or unseat their riders. Still might be worth an outside bet. Hedgehunter i fancy though.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 04-02-2004 at 08:50 AM.

I've never had much luck betting on horses. I seem to have a lot more luck with Football and Baseball.

Might just pick a couple of random horses tomorrow and see how they go! If you want to get the best odds don't use a traditional bookies, goto a betting exchange like www.betdaq.com
    Steve

i wouldnt bother your horse will either drop dead, be shot because it fell at beachers brook and broke its leg, or get pulled out at the last minute.

then the 130-1 shot will win by a nose........

Well pur your half empty glass down the sink why don't you.

I haven't seen many horses drop dead so far this week

Injuries to horses is looked at and tackled year by year as best they can.

On your other comments,well a football player can pull out at the last minute and a defender or player from a very much weaker team can score a goal, so betting wise that kind of thing isn't exclusive to horse racing.

On the beaten by a nose thing, am i wrong to sense that you have suffered from a bad result? The worst wones are when it goes to a photo. dear dear

Its all intended to be a bit of godd sport.

Critic,

Last year I betted on Montey's Pass and won about £70.

Originally posted by Critic
    The risk and less chances of success and the amount of shock results to make it exciting but no part time or regular participant in Horse Racing or The National would want a horse or rider to be injured.
    Critic, [/B]
    I really meant the difficulty of the course being what made it exciting for some rather than the horses or riders being injured itself being the element of excitement (though I'm sure the falls play a part in that excitement to some degree). I can see how you might have taken it that way though. Sorry'bout that.

I grew up with the Grand National myself, as I did with many things but as you get older there are certain things within your culture that you just look at and think 'no..don't like that'. This is one of them.

As I say though, to each their own.

I went to Ladies Day yesterday hehehe
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Got my money in on Puntal at 270/1, nice!

Bet on a few more with odds around 12/1 as well.

Probably won't win a thing!
    Steve

Didn't win a thing! Shame.
    Steve

I went with Artic Jack and Hedgehunter.

Artic Jack fell at the first and then Hedgehhunter looked so promising to get a place at least, a part of me thought that he might've gone to the front a tad too soon but it fell, just wasn't meant to be i guess. Would've been £108 but ther we go, made some on the footie.

Twice in 3 years though, in 2002 i had Adhoc and Davids Lad 1st and 2nd on the home straight and both fell at the second last fence.

Somebody made some money today, a lot of headlines for Amberleigh House with the Red RUm connection so that was good.

10 minutes of ups and downs and excitement.

One final lucky/good thing, no bad injuries that i have heard as yet.

Critic,

I put a £5 WIN on Amberleigh house and £3 each way on scout..

Scout finished 7th and Amberleigh was 1st...