Question Web Hosting Psychiatric Association:

Hello WHt,ers after spending allot of time on these forums watching people go for the taco bell specials in web hosting and then posting " My host is gone what do I do now" "don’t host with this company I paid them a dollar a month and there support is terrible" " My site is down and I have no way of contacting my host"

We have decided to give all you poor souls a place to hang out and wipe the tears from your eyes and start over again. We will teach you the proper way in finding a host so we do not need to put you on Zoloft to keep you from making the same mistakes again.

The basic steps we will teach you when looking for a new host are outline below.

1) Always look for a phone contact number (preferably a toll free number)
    2) look at all support options (make sure if the host goes down you have other ways of contacting them)
    3)Look at the plans offered( If you see 1000MB space and 100GB transfer for only$1.99 a month then you know you are probably at the wrong place for good support)
    4) Test the support multiple times (call on the phone, test their support ticket system, test there support email. Do this multiple times to get an average on the response time)
    5)Don’t judge a web host on the layout.( there are allot of hosting companies that keep there site simple and don’t spend an un godly amount of money on a layout. template monster templates are aright as long as the host follows a good procedure and their support checks out ok.
    6) Don’t fall for the unlimited space and bandwidth (this is untrue and should tell you right a way to click the x on your browser and find somewhere else to go)
    7) make sure the host is offering what you are looking for
    8) Pay month by month (Do not pay for year even if the price is cheaper. There are allot of hosts who do not penalize you with higher prices by going month to month. Once you get use to the host and are happy then maybe you should think about paying for a year, but again I still would not pay for a year because things change and you may want to go somewhere else or all together just quit.)
    9) do a search on www.google.com (this will give you valuable information on the hosting company. Don’t always rely on these forums for comments about a host because sometime the post can be misleading. Dont fall for the web hosting directories reports and reviews since most of them are bought and paid for. If you need an example just visit most of them and there are always the same companies at the top)
    10) Do a search on www.whois.sc (this will give you the information on how long a host has been around. It is ok if a host is new as long as they are run by professional people. There are allot of start up hosting companies ran by honest hard working people who are just trying to support there family.)
    11) Ask the hosting company for references and check them out. (Don’t believe in what you read on the site. get it straight from there clients. If a hosting company has a client list, emails a few of them and get their comments before making a decision.)
    12) Always look at how many support options there are available( the more support options the better chance you have in getting the support you need with a faster response time.
    13) Don’t become a number( web hosting support should be a one on one operation no matter how large the company is.Do not let them put a number on you. make them treat you like a human not a number. get one on one support.
    14)always remember that just because you pay more money for hosting does not mean that the service will be better.( there are allot of good deals on hosting. Do a search, find out about the company and the people behind it. Most of the time you can get excellent hosting under $10 a month with good amount of space and bandwidth and all the options you need. Web hosting has come down and is very competitive and the big boys are always getting cheaper and adding more space and transfer to their plans.
    15) Don’t ask another hosting company to match someone else’s plans. This is just plain UN responsible. Most hosting companies have there plans set and are not in the business to match another hosts cheaper plans.
    16) Research---Research--- Research ( do this and you will find the right hosting company and establish a long relationship with there company.

All this should help you in finding the right hosting company. I am sure there will be some that will not agree with me but this is just my opinion of how to find the right host and not have to worry about posting you’re bad experience on WHT. Hopefully you will come back at a later date and post a good review of the hosting company for all of us to read. But be careful when posting a review here, you better be able to back up what you say because WHT members will find everything out about you and if you’re lying they will find out!

Sometimes I think most of them work for the FBI because they will find out if the review is bogus or not.

Good luck on your search! Web hosting should be a great experience not a disaster

Excellent post sandee29. 16 step program for recovering Web Host Customers of Greedy Teenage Kids. WHCGTK.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

yea the recovery program is the hardest part. believe it or not some of these people make the same mistakes over and over again. Even before I started a web hosting company I never had any problems with any host because I did my research first before clicking on the signup button.

Good Work...
    And you could also add.. "Search for the host reputation at WHT"
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Last rule dont get to excited about clicking the submit button. I thought I mentioned something about searching these forums above but if not then I just did.

Great post.

Thanks I just hate to come here and see all these posts about how people are getting hung with a rope. Also want to mention when buying a domain always have complete control over it. Try to find a domain with a control panel so you can login and change your nameservers if you decide to change hosts. I see to many domains held hostage by some hosting companies.