Thread: Spell check?

Spell check?

This has probably been proposed before, but it would be cool to see a "Spell Check" button hack applied to the post message area. I thinkz a lot of yew culd yooze it
    H4Y Technologies LLC Check out our new website!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VDS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** Email: askus at host4yourself d0t com

I dunt need a spel cheker it would just get in teh way

It has been mentioned before and I *think* it has been added to Prohackers list

yes it's on the way. Of course it will be a "user pay feature"

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

I'm sure that The Prohacker would know better than I would, but I have never seen a built in spell checker to forum software. I think this is because you have to query some sort of database for every single word you check. Could you imagine the load it would take for a large number of members all posting at the same time using a spell checker?

In the mean time this one adds a spell checker to your right click. With it you can spell check any form you fill out. It works pretty good:

http://download.com.com/3000-2378-10208550.html

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    In the mean time this one adds a spell checker to your right click. With it you can spell check any form you fill out. It works pretty good:

Nice find

I'm sure that The Prohacker would know better than I would, but I have never seen a built in spell checker to forum software. I think this is because you have to query some sort of database for every single word you check. Could you imagine the load it would take for a large number of members all posting at the same time using a spell checker?
    There's a couple of methods of doing it that I've seen:
    1) Java servelet spellchecker integrated to vbulletin - I'm pretty sure this isn't the method that will be used, takes *gobs* of ram per process, and wouldn't scale so well due to that.
    2) Pspell/aspell functionality within php - a recompile away, and you can use the built in spellcheckers in linux to do the spelling. Not sure how scalable this is, but sounds better than the java type. It would be more rudimentary though.

I'd bet on #2, for premium members, myself. I'm sure prohaxor has something up his sleeves though.

... but I have never seen a built in spell checker to forum software.

Please check out LinuxQuestions.org to see an example of one. It's done using the Pspell module in PHP (which we already have built in) so the only thing which is needed is a hack and the time for Prohacker to put it in.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

yes it's on the way. Of course it will be a "user pay feature"
    sounds like an iNET thing. By the few responses I assume it's a future thing though
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Yes that is a good product and if you put a link on your homepage you can get it free .. you only need to leave the link live for a few weeks, however it isn't multi browser compatable, only IE as I understand.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I alzo dont kn eed a spell cheker!!!!!!! I spell vary well!!!!!!!

Tha Dude

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    Yes that is a good product and if you put a link on your homepage you can get it free .. you only need to leave the link live for a few weeks, however it isn't multi browser compatable, only IE as I understand.

Doc
    Mozilla has a spell checker built in.
    For some reason firefox doesnt have it, and doesnt have an extention for it either.

But after much truble and pains, I found away to install a spellcheck for firefox as well.

PM me if you need help with that, but you use opera dont you?

Eugene
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

It would be neat to install a spell checker on my browser,hmmm

Wouldnt it just slow your browsers processing speed down???????

The Dude

Originally posted by websterworld
    Mozilla has a spell checker built in.
    For some reason firefox doesnt have it, and doesnt have an extention for it either.

But after much truble and pains, I found away to install a spellcheck for firefox as well.

PM me if you need help with that, but you use opera dont you?

Eugene
    Yes I use Opera, It just siuts me has one or two funny quirks but overall I like it the best. For those interested in spell checkers I have just founds this link www.spellcheckanywhere.com they claim there software will intergrate into ANY application I am tempted to give it a go.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Originally posted by The Dude
    It would be neat to install a spell checker on my browser,hmmm

Wouldnt it just slow your browsers processing speed down???????

The Dude
    MYIE2 doesn't have a spellchecker?!?!

Originally posted by Asci
    MYIE2 doesn't have a spellchecker?!?!
    I have installed spell checker anywhere and so far it seems fine. I like the way you just have to hit the f12 button and it pops up and shows you the errors, if there is no eerrors it just closes again within a split second.

Now I nbeed to find an "Insult and sarcasm filters" perhaps the sarcasm filter would be of some value to you Asci.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor
    Yes that is a good product and if you put a link on your homepage you can get it free
    You don't have to place a link anywhere to download and use that Spell Checker. They didn't reduce their distribution to only those people that happen to own a web site.

That should have read F11 sorry.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Yes that is a good product and if you put a link on your homepage you can get it free
    You don't have to place a link anywhere to download and use that Spell Checker. They didn't reduce their distribution to only those people that happen to own a web site.
    I may be mistaken but I thought that when I got the program it wasn't free, unless you linked to it. I was happy to link to it. In fact the link is still on my site.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Originally posted by jsjohnst
    Please check out LinuxQuestions.org to see an example of one. It's done using the Pspell module in PHP (which we already have built in) so the only thing which is needed is a hack and the time for Prohacker to put it in.
    I should have been a bit more clear with my statement, but I never have seen a built in Spell Checker in forum software. There are plenty of 3rd party systems or even platform specific solutions.

We have had a forum software project in development for about 14 months and are just about ready for a Public Release. We have looked pretty extensively for a Spell Check solution that would work on multiple platforms that could be included within the forum software. We never found anything that could be used without creating unacceptable side effects. We certainly would love to see one that does work on multiple platforms though...

I may be mistaken but I thought that when I got the program it wasn't free, unless you linked to it. I was happy to link to it. In fact the link is still on my site.
    The link back from your site was most likely if you wanted to distribute the software, not just to use it...

The link back from your site was most likely if you wanted to distribute the software, not just to use it...
    I beg your pardon I have made an honest error. I am confusing two different programs, what I have is Jspell sorry for misleading everybody, I should have looked properly.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

There is a spellchecker hack for vbulletin. I know because I installed it on our forum.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability