Lightbulb Any recommendations for payment processing?

Hello,

I will be in need of an online payment processor for my new OSCommerce store that I will be launching in 30-45 days time.

Any recommondations of who to use, who to avoid, and things to look out for will be appreciated!

Thanks!

There are a lot of good threads here on the WHT forums regarding payment processors.

Naturally, you will want to check user feedback for any merchant account provider you are considering to see what current merchants think of their services. So - doing your due diligence is important.

You will also want to ask about things like:

1) What are the total Setup Costs? (if any)

2) What are the recurring Monthly and/or Annual Costs?

3) Are there Monthly Minimums? (and if so, what)

4) Are there Termination/Cancellation Fees? (and if so, what)

5) How are chargebacks and risk management issues handled?

6) Is merchant support & service provided in-house directly for you or is it outsourced to another party?

7) What level of tech support and assistance is provided?

8) What gateways are available that support osCommerce?

9) What kind of documentation is required to get approved?

10) What is the approval process like and how does it work
    and how long does it take?

Now... if you are not a U.S.-based merchant, a lot of the above won't apply and instead you may need to use a 3rd party processor like PayPal, 2CO, PS, etc.

Best of luck with your search for the right merchant processor for your needs!
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

I recommend processing.net. Used them for 5 years now and they are top notch. However they also charge $400 setup, and 1% per transaction.

Tom

Tom, the fees you mention - the $400 setup, $30/month plus 1% per trans - are JUST the fees for the payment gateway system... and they are in -addition- to the merchant account rates & fees.

What features do you feel processing.net provides that make these costs worthwhile for just the gateway by itself? I am curious because I am not familiar with processing.net and haven't heard of them until your mention of them so it would be helpful to know what specifically you like about their system.
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

I would ask who is the CC processor Tom? Do they discount their fees to make up for the high percentages for the gateway they use?

verisign/linkpoint & card services

I would stay with verisign payflow pro for the gateway and card services international for the merchant

What is it that you like about Verisign Payflow Pro? Just curious... I've used it and setup accounts on it in prior years but compared to more cost effective gateways available in the market, I am not sure what the benefit is anymore for Verisign, especially after they dramatically increased their pricing.

Originally posted by coreybryant
    I would ask who is the CC processor Tom? Do they discount their fees to make up for the high percentages for the gateway they use?
    Well they are just the gateway. They support a long list of processors, which is one reason I like them ... most of my customers who need processing turn out to already have their own merchant account. So it makes it easy to stick with one gateway company to support such a variety of different processors without having to add new scripting on my side.

Their support has also been very good, and I like the simplicity of the server-side binary they provide that runs on my server, to communicate with their server.

Tom
    http://www.dynamis.net
    A small domain host focusing on personalized service.

Originally posted by cdgcommerce
    Tom, the fees you mention - the $400 setup, $30/month plus 1% per trans - are JUST the fees for the payment gateway system... and they are in -addition- to the merchant account rates & fees.

What features do you feel processing.net provides that make these costs worthwhile for just the gateway by itself? I am curious because I am not familiar with processing.net and haven't heard of them until your mention of them so it would be helpful to know what specifically you like about their system.
    The binary they provide that runs on my server, and their great tech support, would be two things that make it worth it to me. They also keep good records of transactions and make batch reports available for download, in addition to a variety of other reports in .csv format, which is a helpful format for auditors and other accounting types to include in a spreadsheet.

If there are less expensive gateways for whom the same things could be said along with a recommendation, I'm all ears. (And am not saying that as if I think there are none. Options can be a very good thing!)

Tom

Originally posted by dynamis
    The binary they provide that runs on my server, and their great tech support, would be two things that make it worth it to me. They also keep good records of transactions and make batch reports available for download, in addition to a variety of other reports in .csv format, which is a helpful format for auditors and other accounting types to include in a spreadsheet.

If there are less expensive gateways for whom the same things could be said along with a recommendation, I'm all ears. (And am not saying that as if I think there are none. Options can be a very good thing!)

Tom
    Most gateways provide this, at least the one that we use for our merchant account does. They give us an API to process the CC securely on our site, they do give use a secure URL to capture CC data on if we need that, they have to keep records of transactions, reports are available for download in CSV format. And it only costs us $10 a month. No extra fees. They provide a virtual terminal to review past history as well as another site to review batches. I have not had any problems with LinkPoint myself and my programmers found it very easy to connect. LinkPoint gave my programmers a test store to connect to, while authorizenet.com would not give us a test store - they told us we needed an account with them to do testing. Fortunately, a friend let us borrow her account to make sure we connected properly to authorizenet.com

We can also enter a range of IP addresses to block as well (blacklist). The fraud screening is excellent, we have not had one chargeback.

The issue with these payment gateways, most do not say they are the payment gateway & they give only their fees. If they would say that these fess are on top of the fees that you have to pay your CC processor, that would be different. But for the people that are very new to e-commerce they do not understand this.

Well, maybe now that Authorize.Net got purchased - perhaps the new owners will be a little more amenable to setting up test accounts or at least a few default test accounts that developers can play around with. I've always thought it was a bit of a quirky policy not to offer something like that on their part.

<snip>
    They give us an API to process the CC securely on our site
    </snip>
    Hmm ... I took a look ...

Unfortuntaly I cannot use their API on the server I use for most of my credit card processing, as their API requires either Curl or the use of the shared libraries. Adding one of these two items to that server is beyond my scope. So I'll have to stick with processing.net as long as I continue to use that server (processing.net supplied a simple precompiled binary to use their service ... and it's a good thing they did!)

However, I have a newer server which already has Curl working on it, which would make it possible to use LinkPoint for newer sites. One of my newer customers using that server indicated that Curl worked well on that server with their choice of gateways, so I'm sure LinkPoint would work well too.

Hard to argue with a flat $10 per month. I just wish they had support for something other than Curl or shared libraries. If they had a precompiled binary of some sort like processing.net I'd most likely switch my main processing server over to them.

Tom

If you are located in the USA, I would whole-heartedly suggest you take a look at CDGCommerce from this forum (and thread). They have great pricing for WHT users - http://www.cdgcommerce.com/wht/ and Chris has an outstanding reputation on this forum as well as in my own books.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Thanks for the kind words.

I signed up with Corey awhile back with Merchant accounts 4 less. We process about $400,000 a month with about 1500 transaction. He resells thru Cardservice. I have been extremely happy with the services he has provided to me and just as happy with Cardservice. He called me the other day to see actually if I wanted to switch to Verisign as the gateway but I told him why ruin a good thing. Linkpoint has been very good to us and we have not had any concerns. I would suggest check him out as well.

I would recommend him to my closest family member, that is how much faith I have in him!

Originally posted by thetopguy
    I signed up with .........
    Hmm... same messages in two threads...

Would you like to post this message in all forums and threads without any changes?...
    Regards,
    SAV

Well he actually did add a few more words in the other thread about VBV. LOL. But thanks for the words thetopguy.

Sav, I know he is a busy man and I really appreciate his time that he takes out to come on & give a compliment about me & my service that I can offer. Maybe does not understand some of the rules here, but I'll let him know when I speak with him as well this morning.

Originally posted by coreybryant
    Sav, I know he is a busy man and I really appreciate his time that he takes out to come on & give a compliment about me & my service that I can offer. Maybe does not understand some of the rules here, but I'll let him know when I speak with him as well this morning.
    It's nothing
    I understand it ... now
    I just was evil a bit after my two-weeks adventure with m****b*****s account 'verification'
    I even prepared my fingerprints for sending them
    Regards,
    SAV

LOL. Nothing like providing your DNA and fingerprints for approval on an account or service. Or the ones that require the "first born" clause too.

I'm just glad times have evolved away from the triplicate merchant account applications that we used to have to use years back. Sheesh - Yellow Copy, Pink Copy, White Copy. All those poor trees.

Of course, I also remember when physical site surveys were required for all merchant accounts. Merchant processors literally had to hire an independent site survey company to drive to the merchant's home or office, take photographs, Fedex them to the processor and only then would the account be approved.

Talk about adding an unnecessary extra week or more to what is nowadays a very fast process.
    Last edited by cdgcommerce; 04-08-2004 at 09:37 PM.

stay away from e-onlinedata do a search here and you will see some nice things pertaining to them and their business strategies.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.