question about pdf files

how does the average user create a pdf file? I know how to create something in photoshop then save it as a pdf, but that's the only way I know how. Can anyone tell me what's the typical way of having a file become a pdf, particularly a file that is mostly text. And I'd like the text to be selectable.

Thank you and I apologize if this isn't an approriate thread for this forum.

Illinois, USA
    I used - ad supported (no spyware) and works for me

Western Canada
    Using adobe pdf?...

I agree with Akash. That program has a feature that installs a virtual printer on your machine so you can 'print' from programs such as Word and the result will be saved as a .PDF instead of physically printed - very cool.

Adobe Photoshop and / or Acrobat Reader I believe
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Interesting I wasnt sure about how to create a PDF other than Adobe Acrobat etc... Thanks for the info guys

Derrick - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

Originally posted by 4 Degrees
    Acrobat Reader I believe
    Just to clarify that, Acrobat Reader is the free app that only reads .pdf files. Their program that creates them is simply called Acrobat. It will do the same thing as was described for pdf995 -- you can select it as a printer and the output will be saved as a .pdf file. But, it's not free.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.