Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LiquidWeb: One week review

After spending several months reading the reviews of dedicated server providers here and other places I finally decided on LiquidWeb" for a new site I am working on. I ordered the following server on the 24th:

Dual Opteron Special
    Dual Opteron 240 w/1MB L2 cache
    64 Bit Architecture
    2048 MB ECC DDR RAM
    Dual 160GB 7200RPM IDE, 8MB Cache HD
    1400GB Premium Bandwidth
    Liquidweb Managed Support and Monitoring
    16 IPs
    APC Remote Reboot
    Immediate Setup Available (Limited Quantities)
    Fedora or Fedora64

I ordered it late in the afternoon, so I really didn't expect to hear anything from them that day, but within a couple of minutes I received a order conformation email stating that my order had been received, and it gave me the exact details of waht was ordered so I could check and see if I had made any mistakes in the order. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but I have purchased other servers in the past from other companies in the past that didn't do this and you just sit around for a couple of days wondering if they even got your order.

The next day about lunch LiquidWeb tried to call me, but I wasn't avaliable, and for some reason my voice mail wasn't being sent to me. It seems I did make a mistake in the order, and forgot to tell them what OS to install. They then sent me an email that I got about 2 p.m. asking me what OS to install. I replied back and figured that was it for the day. I was sure that it was too late in the day to get the server set up then, but in about an hour I received a welcome email from LiquidWeb stating that my server was set up and ready to go.

Now, let me tell you a little about the welcome email they send out with a new server. I'm used to the basic email that pretty much gives you your server IP address and that's all. Not this one. They go into great detail explaining where everything is located, telling you how to transfer your domain to the new server, describing thier monitoring system, and giving you several ways to contact them.

Now on to the server. I asked for Fedora w/cpanel to be set up on this server. From some of the other companies I have delt with it seems that each company has a different level of setup. The last few I have bought had cpanel installed, but just barely. I still had to go though and add all the IP addresses, name servers, and do the initial cpanel setup, but not on this one. Everything was set up, upgraded, and ready to go as soon as I logged into the server the first time. The only thing I had to change was allowing root to login via SSH and I was ready to go.

The server has only been up for a week so I don't have any long term uptime stats to give you, but so far the monitoring from several different locations has reported 100% uptime.

Final Score Card:

Sales: A+
    Setup: A+ (less that 24 hours even with my mistake)
    Value: A+
    Support: Unknown, I haven't had to use it yet.

Please keep us updated! I'm interested in having LiquidWeb as a secondary location to The Planet in the near future. I'd like to read as much as possible about them before that time comes.

Three thumbs up! Go LiquidWeb!

I'm looking to join them after myservernow

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    I'm looking to join them after myservernow
    May I ask why are you leaving MyServerNow?

General thumbs up to Liquidweb. Just ordered our 5th box today with them. 100% uptime so far for the last month. Tech support is quick and they do speak to you when a spam complaint comes in rather than just yanking the carpet out from under you

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Just a little update on the server. I've been running some tests on the box using the Webserver Stress Tool from paessler.com and this server is hard to beat. I'll post from test results when I get a little free time.

I am looking into purchasing a LiquidWeb server as well, thanks for the great review.

Breadman-
    Not enough posts to PM yet so just wanted to ask about the specs from Liquidweb.
    Went to their site and don't see the specs you mentioned and curious about whether that is a custom package and at what additonal cost ?
    Thank you.

I have had nearly 100% uptime with liquidweb except a quick reboot that I did my first month in.  I have used support for a few incidents that I was having problems with and have been more than happy with the speed and quality of response, they even check back in a few days to make sure everything is still ok.

A+ in my book!

Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

I have had a server with LiquidWeb for about 5 weeks now. So far the service is fantastic, and so was the uptime. According to SiteUptime, my site was up 100% for March. (This is paid SiteUptime checking every 5 minutes).

The only tickets that I have submitted was for issues that I caused - and each was quickly and professionally handled.

First month review -- I highly recommend LiquidWeb.

Yes I must agree with all posters above. We are currently in our third month with Liquidweb.com and have had no downtime whatsoever.

Support is always fast and available 24/7 to assist with any problems.

I can't wait until they offer multihomed bandwidth.

Is LiquidWeb is a GNAX/TranXactGlobal reseller?

Liquidweb has thier own datacenter

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Originally posted by binaris
    Is LiquidWeb is a GNAX/TranXactGlobal reseller?
    Take a trip on over to http://www.liquidweb.com and read through the site. They are not resellers.

Regards,
    Waylon

I just submitted a billing related question to the help desk had a response in less than 2 minutes. Lets hide this thread though so LiquidWeb does not get too many new customers

Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

Originally posted by sawbuck
    Breadman-
    Not enough posts to PM yet so just wanted to ask about the specs from Liquidweb.
    Went to their site and don't see the specs you mentioned and curious about whether that is a custom package and at what additonal cost ?
    Thank you.
    This was a special they had posted here. I think it's good through this Friday.

quote cancel.. sorry

Originally posted by Breadman
    Just a little update on the server. I've been running some tests on the box using the Webserver Stress Tool from paessler.com and this server is hard to beat. I'll post from test results when I get a little free time.
    Which "Webserver Stress Tool" Edition u use?
    Does it good for server perfomance testing?

After a week with Liquidweb myself, I can only echo
    Breadman's findings. Both setup and support are
    first-class.

I now only have servers at Gnax, NAC and Liquidweb.
    Looking at the many posts here, some of the issues
    people have with other providers verge on the
    ridiculous, but many are useful in giving a picture
    of what to expect before signing up. As a BSD user
    only, little things like partitioning (actually a big
    thing in fact) are quite important and it's great
    when a provider can provide the correct (default)
    partitioning at install.

One thing to note is that Liquidweb do in fact set up
    box as essentially 'ready to go' - I even found a
    kernel modified as I'd have had to do myself already
    in place when I accessed server first time.

liquidweb is amazing, i entered an old promo code and they gave me a new offer..

Quick support! i could not wait for another promo... so could get another box..

A little off topic, but don't let root login via ssh :-/
    Make a user account and try to use sudo as much as you can and you can still su up if you need to. It means anyone trying to break it would need to guess two passwords to get root, and also that if you're doing things that don't absolutely require root, you protect yourself a little.

Hi,

I really wonder, how much did you pay for that server?

I must say - after reading all the good reviews here about LiquidWeb and looking at their web site to see their excellent dedicated server packages, I'm extremely tempted to actually signup and even use them for future dedicated servers.

I've never really looked into LiquidWeb before, however now they're on the top of my list for future dedicated server providers.

I haven't looked at them until now, but they seem a bit pricey, or are they not a budget provider? I don't know, either way, they look nice but a bit on the high side for my budget (which at the moment is $0)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast