Free "semi"-hosting

I'm going to start programming a website, but I don't want to start paying for hosting until it's done because I don't know how long it's going to take me to get everything together. Are there any free hosting services out there that give PHP and SQL support? I don't need bandwidth, I don't need a domain name, I just need PHP and SQL to test my site. I know I could set it up on my computer, but I think that'd just be more of a pain in the *** than anything else, so do any sites such as this exist? Thanks in advance,
    ~Brandon

Install it on your computer. This document from phpBB KB should help you: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=124

Depending on your requirements, I could host you for free.
    9/11 Memorial, do you have a story to tell?
    United Web Site Award Givers, do you believe your site is worthy of an award?

You could try http://Freewebspace.net if you are interested in free webhosting for just a short period of time.

Im not too sure but if you ask any decent host for free hosting for a month or so in the prospect of paying once you are done testing, they may be more than willing to say yes.

Its worth a try looking into your future Hosting needs and then asking that host if they will be able to provide.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by Executive
    Depending on your requirements, I could host you for free.
    My only requirements are PHP and SQL, and like 250 MB transfer if that - it'll just be me using it. And like 25-50MB for my data. I don't necessarily need tools like cpanel since I prefer FTP anyway, but a tool to setup the SQL database would be nice.

As for contacting the host that I will use after it's done, the problem is I don't know when I will actually launch. I want to program it now, and it shouldn't take long, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to launch the site right away.

Eventually when I do get it up and running I'll probably want some sort of reselling package along with it, but I'm not sure if I'd just want to resell my space or just resell my hosts' space, although that's not much of a concern right now.
    ~Brandon

You could try http://www.free-webhosts.com they have plenty of free hosting providers out there.
    Kerry Jones

BCBrandon,

Many hosts that are starting up will have free hosting packages to get the name out for their business and then soon cancel this service after they are flooded with requests.

You can probably find some hosts like this in the above mentioned web sites, just be sure that you know these hosts are not reliable and could boot you off their servers or close your account at any time. So just be sure to make regular updates.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

I would host you, see my site for contact information.
    9/11 Memorial, do you have a story to tell?
    United Web Site Award Givers, do you believe your site is worthy of an award?

Many hosts that are starting up will have free hosting packages to get the name out for their business and then soon cancel this service after they are flooded with requests.

You can probably find some hosts like this in the above mentioned web sites, just be sure that you know these hosts are not reliable and could boot you off their servers or close your account at any time. So just be sure to make regular updates.
    Yes that is true. When my free image host opened up i've gotten 1,000 registered users and more keep signing up. They currently consume 100 GB bandwidth!
    Kerry Jones

http://f2o.org/ is a site for exactly this purpose, to encourage people to learn programming, but sign-ups are closed at the moment.

"f2o.org is dedicated to providing an ad-free learning environment so developers have a place to experiment with different programming environments, learn new technologies and expand their skills."