In-Bandwith and Out-Bandwith

Would anyone explain to me with example of what made up the in-bandwith and out-bandwith please.

incoming bandwidth to a server: you upload files using FTP to a server, email received to the server, DNS queries, etc
    outgoing bandwidth froma a server: somebody download files from a server, somebody access your websites, email sent, etc.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

In-bandwidth is the data that is transferred to the server from another server/client and out-bandwidth is what is sent from your server to another server/client.

Most servers used for hosting are sending a lot more bandwidth compared to what they receive because all visitors to the site are generating out-bandwidth (and some in-bandwidth but not much) and in-bandwidth is only generated when the webmasters upload files and so on to the server.

Thank You

Thanks all. The reason I'm asking is that I want to optimize the usage of these 2 type of bandwith.

Managed just send me a link to my server bandwith usage: http://mrtg.managed.com/25b/65.75.143.254_fa0_19.html

They projected by April 10th my server usage is about 1297GB which is about $648.49 in over usage fee. This is alot.

By looking at the MRTG graph, I see too much In bandwith. Even though I don't allow people uploading and I don't do much uploading either. I also have out-going emails generate from the php script but not in-coming mails. Oh, and this server is hosting just a bulletin board where poeple do most the browsing. it's busy, around 400 online during day and 1400 during night. But that would make the out bandwith hight; So, how the in bandwith made up?

Also, by looking at the MRTG graph, would anyone show me how to calculate the total bandwith in GB from billing date to billing date ? This would help me monitor the usage better.

Thank you.
    Last edited by xp101; 03-31-2004 at 05:44 PM.

incoming bandwidth is WAY too high for a forum, like 10 times over normal. I'd check your server with netstat or see detailed traffic logs since something is obviously not right here. I can't imagine VB config which would generate this many legitimate uploads...

You should expect a decent amount of IN bandwidth (I'd say 10-15% of your OUT), but not that much... yikes.

How much do they charge for overage?
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

http://mrtg.managed.com/37a/65.75.166.254_fa0_11.html

here is mine and i run a vb forum to, so you can compare to me

What's weird about yours webrats is your high IN traffic started rather suddenly, about a week ago. Until then, it seemed relatively normal.

Originally posted by amusive.com
    What's weird about yours webrats is your high IN traffic started rather suddenly, about a week ago. Until then, it seemed relatively normal.
    kobe is back in the news

You should expect a decent amount of IN bandwidth (I'd say 10-15% of your OUT), but not that much... yikes.

In both cases here, mine and webrats', the IN bandwith is way higher then Out and amusive.com said normal ?

Hi webrats,
    are you mainly using this server for your http://forums.webrats.com/ or you host any other site?

Originally posted by xp101
    In both cases here, mine and webrats', the IN bandwith is way higher then Out and amusive.com said normal ?

Hi webrats,
    are you mainly using this server for your http://forums.webrats.com/ or you host any other site?
    i have a few smaller sites but they account for %10 of my bw

IN from the router's perspective is OUT from your server's.

But the OUT from the router's perspective is IN from your server's, and really quite high unless you have a lot of people uploading things... For typical http traffic, I'd expect it to be 10-25% of your total traffic... as opposed to about 35-45% it seems like on yours.

Originally posted by webrats
    kobe is back in the news
    My point though is that your server's outgoing bandwidth (pages served, essentially) stayed relatively the same. It's connections and traffic going into your server that greatly increased... meaning more uploads, or something. Seems kind of odd.

IN from the router's perspective is OUT from your server's.
    Thanks for the clearification amusive!

I don't know who is the owner of this server and don't know how he does it. But looks like it very cost effective of using In bandwidth.
    http://mrtg.managed.com/25b/65.75.143.254_fa0_15.html

If you are the owner, please let us know and help us to learn how to manage this too.

That looks to be a "normal" ratio between IN/OUT

How would I'm about to go solve this problem anyone?

They charge $0.50/GB

First, install MRTG locally. It'd be interesting to see how the graphs compare (there's probably a howto on that here, somewhere).

Second... I have no idea how you'd solve it. You'd need to find out what's causing it first, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

Also, I'm just saying what I think is true based off my own experience. There may be some reason your forum uses so much server-bound traffic, but I really can't think of one.

manage does not bill you 500 in 500 out its 1000 in 1000 out

<CL - Edit>
    Last edited by Odd Fact; 04-01-2004 at 02:52 PM.

Originally posted by webrats
    manage does not bill you 500 in 500 out its 1000 in 1000 out
    NO. NOT 500 in 500 out and NOT 1000 in 1000 out either. They count 1000GB total (in+out).
    Last edited by Odd Fact; 04-01-2004 at 02:52 PM.

Originally posted by xp101
    NO. NOT 500 in 500 out and NOT 1000 in 1000 out either. They count 1000GB total (in+out).

What is this thing? I just don't understand the term
    damn i just checked you are right, well looks like i am in trouble this month.

well anyhow the flood control thing.I type pretty damn fast . and they have it set so you can only post every 90 seconds.