New scam. Watch out.

So I get a call the other day from "Washington Mutual" saying they need me to contact them at there toll free number for fraud prevention services for my "visa express card" right away. They left this message on my answering machine by the way..

Me, wondering what's going on (since i have an account with washington mutual) call the toll free number. I reach an automated system, where i can enter in my full card number with exp date and listen to recent charges on my card, or press 0 to talk to an operator, I of course found that strange and pressed "0". After talking with an operator who sounded like he couldnt have been a day over 20 years old, the first thing he asks me is if i could please read him my visa checking card number. Frankly, I'm not a COMPLETE idiot, so i asked what this was about, and if they could please pull up my info using my account number or SS #. After giving that to them, they said it must have been a mistake and hung up the phone.

Basically, these people are looking for visa checking card numbers that they can clear out quickly and easily. Since a checking card doesn't have the protection a credit card has, they can do this with less repercusions.

They must have got all the info they had about me from BurstBand.net since alot of info is listed on there.

Anyway, just thought you all might want to be on the lookout for this one. I reported it to washington mutual and they were very serious sounding when they send they would be conducting a formal investigation into this matter.
    Last edited by p[]; 03-31-2004 at 04:43 PM.

"I'm not a COMPLETE idiot, so i asked what this was about, and if they could please pull up my info using my account number or SS #. After giving that to them, they said it must have been a mistake and hung up the phone."

Hate to burst your bubble, but that's all they needed. SS# and account number can get them in. Hopefully you only gave them the account # and your bank has now changed it.

You gave them your SS#? That was a big mistake. Even when I call the bank they only ask for my account number (Which anyone has when you pay by check) the last 4 digits of your SS# and that is it, then they confirm your address and phone number. Had to do this when ordering a new set of checks and when I forgot my online password and had it reset. Now they have your phone number, address, SS#, might as well give them your real birth certificate and not a copy.
    Don't look for a way out.

You also gave them your CC# and exp date in the automated system... Might want to get that changed as well.

Originally posted by amish_geek
    You also gave them your CC# and exp date in the automated system... Might want to get that changed as well.
    Originally posted by p[]
    I reach an automated system, where i can enter in my full card number with exp date and listen to recent charges on my card, or press 0 to talk to an operator, I of course found that strange and pressed "0".

Read it properly people. I myself never give my details out over phone, especially to an automated service. Maybe you should contact Washington Mutual and let them know this is going on.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Originally posted by 4 Degrees
    Maybe you should contact Washington Mutual and let them know this is going on.
    I reported it to washington mutual

Originally posted by 4 Degrees
    Read it properly people. I myself never give my details out over phone, especially to an automated service. Maybe you should contact Washington Mutual and let them know this is going on.
    Originally posted by p[]
    I reported it to washington mutual and they were very serious sounding when they send they would be conducting a formal investigation into this matter.
    Maybe you should 'Read it properly'

Visa check cards are protected just like any other visa card. You pay for the logo and the rights that go with it.

HOWEVER

The ATM side of the card (using your pin number) is completely insecure and non insured or protected. If it goes, its gone.

This is from experience I bought something from that huge music store that was hacked a few years back and 7grand was spent in offshore gambling. I got it all back (check card) but had a few grand in late fees, bounced checks and crap (took a few months) however the poor saps who had there identity stolen and people changed there pin numbers and use the mac side lost it all..

Re: New scam. Watch out.

Originally posted by p[]
    Frankly, I'm not a COMPLETE idiot, so i asked what this was about, and if they could please pull up my info using my account number or SS #. After giving that to them, they said it must have been a mistake and hung up the phone.

Tell me you didn't give them your real numbers? They can do anything with your Social Security #!!

If so...that was a big mistake and you will want to get those numbers changed ASAP.

Regards,
    Waylon

No, they didnt get my SS# from me, I meant I started to give it to them and stopped. All I gave them was my name, and from that, they said there must be a mistake, and that I am 'not in the system'.

Are you sure it wasn't actually your bank? I've had people like this contact me. Both times I called the # on the back of my card instead of talking to them, and it was legit.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

Maybe you should 'Read it properly'
    Typing that I knew it was going to be thrown back in my face lol
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Hmmm . . . thanks for the update.

I had a call from Citi Bank (Visa) the other day. Same thing . . fraud prevention.

I would not give my SS#. I hope you didn't. The Exp. date would be the red flag. Even if your account # is your CC#, they wouldn't need a Exp. #. That's the 'secret code' along with the cvv now.

That's why on statements it doesn't show the exp. date.
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com

Not to confuse you, however be aware that Via does from time to time flag purchases and call people to verify the charges (fraud protection). They've done it a few times, it's not a scam (though I can't speak for this incident), it is actual fraud protection and purchase verification.

Just tell them that they called you, and that they should have all of your info they need, and you'll answer yes/no questions only if they want to confirm a purchase. They will do it. That way you're not giving anyone any additional info that they don't already have.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Yeah, but what he's saying is... how do you KNOW its actually visa?

Hmm this would be scary but I wonder if it might not have been legit since getting a toll free line and people to answer it and a voicemail system is a pretty elaborate setup for a scheme. If they really wanted to be careful they'd give you a transaction code
    "hi I'm calling to confirm transaction code XXXXX"
    "is this <name>?"
    "yes"
    "did you purchase something for $XXX from <company> on <date>?"
    "yes"

Dunno guess anything can be abused if you try hard enough.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

No, it was a scam I called visa, and washington mutal, neither of them have that toll free number belonging to them.

Wow that's very scary then.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

So, do a lookup on the 800 number, find out who it REALLy belongs to. You can find out ANYTHING on the internet any more.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Spooky, yeah...